Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Straws Suck!

Straws Suck!

Dendrite has been trying to think up simple ways to get the environmental word out through our film expertise. Simple being the key. Not grand arching catastrophe rants, as we all hear plenty of that on the news day in and day out. But ridiculously simple things every day people can do to make the world a better place. If great numbers do these simple things it will make a huge impact.

Our first target is straws. Yes straws. 6 billion of these items are produced a day globally. 500 million per day are consumed in the US alone. 500 million is enough straws to equal 127 school buses of space. Daily of trash. They are single use and non recycable. They litter dumps, they float in oceans (my business partner cleans a stretch of beach every few days and the number one item he finds washed up every time - lots of straws!), and they are made out of petroleum based products.

Less straws consumed daily equals less trash. Less straws equals less strain on oil reserves. Equals lower prices at the pumps. Equals less CO2 emissions. Yes I am generalizing big time here. But every small easy thing when done by millions of people can make a huge huge impact globally. So we want to turn straws into this years plastic bag. Ten years ago no one thought about plastic bags. In BC everyone used them. Thanks to a grass roots marketing campaign now when you go to the supermarket almost everyone has cloth bags they bring from home. It made a real difference. We want to start that campaign for straws.

Recently a BC based web series competition began. 15 companies get a 10,000 dollar grant to make the first episode of a web series. So we entered as it is a perfect way to make a funny and informative viral video to show the ridiculousness of straws and provide alternatives and suggestions. All we need is your votes.

Go here...http://www.storyhive.com/project/show/id/389
    Enter your email.
    Use all 5 of your votes on our web series Life Shaver: Episode 1: Straws Suck!

And next time you go to a restaurant ask for no straw with your drink. I still get a straw over 50% of the time. Or just a super weird look from the waitress or bartender.

I prefer using a straw to a tightly rolled up $20.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hugh Conway Guest
    i prefer picayune causes to pretend I'm environmental

Imagine what you could do with the time and resources spent on this on something that matters.

Edit: I agree 100% with Timber

Fans blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I prefer using a straw to a tightly rolled up $20.
    Sounds good. Use a reusable metal or bamboo one. Or even a reusable plastic one. Dishwasher safe brah!

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Imagine what you could do with the time and resources spent on this on something that matters.
    Would love to hear your suggestions so I can attempt to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Fans blow.
    Fire hot. Dogs walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    This is by no means a scientific study, but I estimate along the beaches of the EC there are a larger number of plastic tampon applicators than straws. The dog likes to play with them as we run along the beach, which I prefer to a rotten horseshoe crab. My wife informs me the cardboard applicators hurt, but perhaps we all need to suffer a bit to save the environment? I'll give up my straw and go back to using 20's, and you could enhance women's awareness of how they are hurting the environment?

How do you expect irul to felch?

Oh, I don't know. Starving kids in Africa, like my mom always used to say. Asian sex slaves. The plight of the honey bee. Mtngirl's current dilemma.

Nebraska sucks too, maybe do something about that? Although it's mostly because Wyoming blows.

Hugh Conway Guest
    all of the marketing materials for the next picayune environmental cause are out of date before the first one's even been saved. is there a way you can just reuse the videos/banners/flyers? In between jetting around the world to recreated I'm saving the planet by not using plasticbags/straws/plastictamponapplicators/singlebaggedcondoms/?????

OP contains inaccurate assumptions. it's best not to sound like a dummy when pitching your cause for maximum effect.

Not saying it's a bad cause, just that some of the info you're passing off to support it doesn't make sense.

Besides, without straws how am I supposed to drink the 128 oz mega-gulper of pepsi while posting on facebook on my drive home?

People responding to this thread remind me of straws. Sucking, useless, and not adding anything worthwhile.

Voted, good luck!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    People responding to this thread remind me of straws. Sucking, useless, and not adding anything worthwhile.

Voted, good luck!
    ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO SUCK IF YOU ARE POSITIVE! SUPPORT CAUSES! BE POSITIVE! CONTRIBUTE! CHANGE THE WORLD ONE STRAW AT A TIME! SLACTIVISM IS THE FUTURE!

What about bendy straws?
    She's just another 3/4"standard sheet of ac plywood...smooth, tall, wide, and an extra 24 cents per sq. foot

My wife informs me the cardboard applicators hurt, but perhaps we all need to suffer a bit to save the environment?
    That's the whole point. Simple things that are super easy to do. No suffering. Sounds like your wife's issue ain't simple.
    Or maybe it is. Tell her to get an IUD. 5 years. No kids. No periods. All the unprotected sex she could want. Remove it whenever she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Starving kids in Africa, like my mom always used to say. Asian sex slaves. The plight of the honey bee.
    I love all those causes and most of them aren't easy or everyday things people can do every day. I've signed petition's to help get politicians to listen to the honey bee issue. Probably doesn't do shit, but maybe it does, so I might as well try. I've given money in the last year to help charities that help starving 3rd world kids. I do some physical out of my home charity and volunteer stuff every year. Not sure I've done anything for Asian sex slaves but should be easy here in Vancouver, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    Besides, without straws how am I supposed to drink the 128 oz mega-gulper of pepsi while posting on facebook on my drive home?
    Hire the asian above to be your personal chauffeur.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Voted, good luck!
    Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO SUCK IF YOU ARE POSITIVE! SUPPORT CAUSES! BE POSITIVE! CONTRIBUTE! CHANGE THE WORLD ONE STRAW AT A TIME! SLACTIVISM IS THE FUTURE!
    Slactivism is the future may just be the best thing I have ever seen hugh write. Thank you. I will be using that in the future.

That's the whole point. Simple things that are super easy to do. No suffering. Sounds like your wife's issue ain't simple.
    Or maybe it is. Tell her to get an IUD. 5 years. No kids. No periods. All the unprotected sex she could want. Remove it whenever she wants.
    Atrain, thanks for the input. I've seen the light. You can count on me as another footsoldier in the war against straws and strawlike objects.

"Fighting for the environment...one $20 bill and an IUD at a time" = my new moto.

"Fighting for the environment...one $20 bill and an IUD at a time" = my new moto.
    New sig line!

I would rather stop the straw pollution than send someone to Africa with food who'll likely come back with ebola. Cute cat.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

5 years. All the unprotected sex she could want.
    That's probably not what he had in mind.
    You guys doing any more short films during the season again?

Atrain, thanks for the input. I've seen the light. You can count on me as another footsoldier in the war against straws and strawlike objects. "Fighting for the environment...one $20 bill and an IUD at a time" = my new moto.
    Not a war against straws. A war against single use non recyclable straws. Get some straws that last and all is well.
    Very worth sig though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    No one I know would describe me as a positive person, but you guys make me feel closer to Richard Simmons the way you shit on everything. Just throw him some votes, that's all he's asking.

Great stuff A... this one has been on the radar for a while... Good luck!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You guys doing any more short films during the season again?
    Hopefully. Ironing out some details, but it's looking likely.