idaho winter steelheading?

So I have next week off and thought maybe I should make the quick drive over to Idaho and do some fishing before heading to the gf's folks house for Turkey day. Thing is I'm a trout fag and know jackshit bout steel head. Buddy has been out that way(clearwater, lochsa, etc) but not positive he's joining. Any advice is appreciated or just tell me to fuck off. I'm sick of heading north and getting shitfaced at uncle Joe's.

I went steelheading on the Clearwater near Orofino about 20 years ago with my then-GF's father. She neglected to tell me beforehand the guy was a raving North Idaho Nazi. I had bought a fishing licence and I mentioned it to the guy and he went off about how fishing licences are a Jew plot against freedom and that he will kill any game warden that tries to stop him. The day went downhill from there, but he had a nice jet boat with beer in the cooler, and we did catch some fish. I ended up dumping his daughter a week later.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I was up in Salmon a couple of weeks ago. Lots of people but I'm guessing it's quieted down lately with the much colder weather they have been having. Fished for 3.5 days, got 1 fish. Looks like they are going to be getting some rain so things could be good. The one I got was in a slow tailout, swinging a black leach with some BRIGHT blue flash on a sink tip. It's really nice up there, I'd love to go back, just not really setup to camp in the cold temps but I've been keeping an eye on the weather up there hoping it warms up a little bit (probably won't happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I went steelheading on the Clearwater near Orofino about 20 years ago with my then-GF's father. She neglected to tell me beforehand the guy was a raving North Idaho Nazi. I had bought a fishing licence and I mentioned it to the guy and he went off about how fishing licences are a Jew plot against freedom and that he will kill any game warden that tries to stop him. The day went downhill from there, but he had a nice jet boat with beer in the cooler, and we did catch some fish. I ended up dumping his daughter a week later.
    so much truth.

if I were you, and u really want to chase some fish I am PMing u a river i would check out if ur not into the big water swing game.

Easy way is bobber and jig from the bank of known steelhead water. Light spinning tackle, bobber and nice orange Maribou Jig.