Thread: Rocker...?

Rocker...?

So, fast forward a few years, and now it's seemingly all I can find these days. Is it really the fucking bees knees?

Part of me is still trying to figure out how a ski can be as playful as an underfoot camber ski when it doesn't naturally rebound as far...

On a pair of ehps, k2 darksides, and an old pair of bros. Trying to find something to replace the EHP, but the days of underfoot camber are gone...

Am I the only one that's skeptical? Anyone care to explain?

Occasionally I ski this...

... and sometimes I do this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2963.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	160573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3573.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	160574  

Faction Candide 3.0 has some camber at 112 waist.

See following thread, which some comparisons between EHP and Hojis: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-13-4FRNT-Hoji

Some posters basically said that the Hojis had enough energy for them. YMMV...

Neah just a fad. To me it seems a nice progressive tip flex give you the benefits of float and its there when you want it on hard snow.

There are plenty of options with tail rocker, underfoot camber, and tip rocker. They're just not made by 4FRNT who seems to have wholeheartedly adopted the "reflect tech" for their non-jibby skis. In fact, I'd say the harder thing to find is minimal tail rocker (and a longer turn radius). PM Gear Lhasa Pow, ON3P Billy Goat, Praxis RX, Down SD115, etc are all solid options.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I'd say the harder thing to find is minimal tail rocker (and a longer turn radius). PM Gear Lhasa Pow, ON3P Billy Goat, Praxis RX, Down SD115, etc are all solid options.
    Been noticing the same... the TX107 (kastle) seems to fit the bill (underfoot camber, no tail rocker, early rise, decently light, 105-110ish waist)... basically an ehp, but I just can't justify the price.

Kastle 108 was going to be one ski I would have recommend, but you also need to take a look at Praxis RX and Praxis FreeRide... Both have slight rise, camber underfoot and no tail rocker... No doubt there are others, but these three are the ones that come to mind...

GPO?

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ... ON3P Billy Goat, Praxis RX...
    2nd on the BG and RX

Been pretty happy with my Icelantic Keepers. This will be my 4th season on them. They have some tip/tail rocker and the camber you seek:
    http://www.icelanticskis.com/14-15-i...keeper-sid-284

RX is a great ski, but not a great EHP replacement IMO. Much more of a hard snow shape.

Billy Goat, GPO, or Squad7 (get the older ones without the stupid air tip) are all excellent EHP replacements though.

IMO a ski's pop or rebound has as much or more to do with construction and flex characteristics as it does with profile and the presence of camber or not. For example, I think the previously mentioned BillyGoats have a nice rebound despite being close to flat underfoot (more so than some other powder skis with full camber) and I've noticed the same with other ON3P skis I've owned / tried. I'm guessing the bamboo core has something to do with that, although I'm sure the reality is much more complicated than just one type of material.

If a ski has sidecut, when it's on edge on a flat surface, one can flex it and get rebound out of it, even if it has no camber.
    But really, a ski is rarely on a flat surface and if you're any good, you can get the ski to flex, even a DPS Lotus 138.

What does playful mean?

The flat/reverse camber skis can be really playful in the way I think.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Chetlers (this year's), Spurs. Are you looking for a big soft snow ski that still has power? There are still plenty of those.
    Bodacious if you wanna carve some more. Governor, GPO, BGs.
    Just saying, you have plenty of options.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.