Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    For real.

That's why I said move yer rig if it snows. If it doesn't snow, yer in the clear. What about the 2 dozen cars that are left there every single night? The lot is the size of what, 6 or 7 football fields? It's not the end of the world if a few spots don't get plowed every single time it snows.
    I think you underestimate the power of the Knapton.

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    just go park in employee housing lots then. those lots are usually on a plowing scheduled and the lifties wont be so snitchy. just make sure to move ur van for the plows.
    Tell me Sal, how much employee housing is there currently in Big Sky?

Case closed.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nope, open under new ownership according to their website and voicemail. Open all winter and has long-term winter rates available.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/bozeman/

That is $30/day for a van with no electricity /$45 with

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Spendy, yeah, but $30 for a fire pit and hot shower might seem like a bargain after a month of parking lot living. Or not. Just an option that's closer to Bozeman should the need arise. Plus it's right behind the hot springs, which is also spendy, but probably the only skin you're going to see all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Spendy, yeah, but $30 for a fire pit and hot shower might seem like a bargain after a month of parking lot living. Or not. Just an option that's closer to Bozeman should the need arise. Plus it's right behind the hot springs, which is also spendy, but probably the only skin you're going to see all winter.
    At those rates you might as well rent. Like you said, maybe once every two weeks for a treat but beyond that it's too much.

challenges of living in a van in big sky?

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    For real.

That's why I said move yer rig if it snows. If it doesn't snow, yer in the clear. What about the 2 dozen cars that are left there every single night? The lot is the size of what, 6 or 7 football fields? It's not the end of the world if a few spots don't get plowed every single time it snows.
    YER a fucking idiot. Not going to argue in circles with you.

If you want to sleep in your car overnight on a temporary basis then drive your lazy ass to the fucking pony lot where it's allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    I think you underestimate the power of the Knapton.

Tell me Sal, how much employee housing is there currently in Big Sky?

Case closed.
    i have no idea i havnt ever been there. he is just gonna have to get crafty and try to stay low key. save the mountain lot nights for big storm cycles i suppose. good luck to u though! I know u can do it if you put your mind to it, think outside the box. just because there isnt rooms for rent doesnt mean you wont find a person who will let you use there driveway and shit, maybe even a plug in if you pitch in on the bill. there are good people out there! I see some undevolped dead end roads around the area on google earth. a little drive into the trees and some stealth could go a long ways! granted your van wouldnt move till caught or spring arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    don't forget to throw in DRUNK lazy ass dudes driving around looking for a spot to crash.
    There is some degree of personal responsibility at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    i have no idea i havnt ever been there. he is just gonna have to get crafty and try to stay low key. save the mountain lot nights for big storm cycles i suppose. good luck to u though! I know u can do it if you put your mind to it, think outside the box. just because there isnt rooms for rent doesnt mean you wont find a person who will let you use there driveway and shit, maybe even a plug in if you pitch in on the bill. there are good people out there! I see some undevolped dead end roads around the area on google earth. a little drive into the trees and some stealth could go a long ways! granted your van wouldnt move till caught or spring arrives.

And therein lies the problem. Too many people have already been there and done that. The USFS is on to it and checks those trailheads on a regular basis. If I found a van illegally parked on my property I wouldn't be too happy about it. And I certainly wouldn't let some random person park on my land and live there. Where do you think the trash, shit and piss end up after a long winter of car camping? One of the problems is that most of the land around Big Sky is private, not USFS.

No offense but you are talking out your ass.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Not driving a lot is the key. In small places like Jackson and most other ski towns, prudent car camping needn't involve driving 30-45 miles x 2/day.

But...in small mountain communities you'd be surprised how well average locals know town. I image some people get to know every minute detail on an interstate commute. You have to blend in very well.

No shit piled to the ceiling. No curtains. No stove on the front seat. That may look cool for the bros, but will get you called out pretty fast. Car has to be clean on the outside.

Go get bagels when you wake up or swim at the rec center. Sleep with every window 1/4" down. It's pretty easy to master. From there, the funny ^^^video^^^ above is right on. It's pretty easy to master.

Subaru Wagon is the car. Good on gas, long enough to stretch out in. Sleeping bag + 2 small duffle bags w/drivers seat removed was the best rig I've ever seen. Plywood full length platform w/ matching interior carpet. At night everybody just sees a car and not someone sleeping.

Success lies in a simple monastic existence. Monks don't have sex, you probably won't either.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Hell you can do a decent motel in town cheaper than that if you rent by the month. I've seen two motels within walking distance of a big sky bus pickup spot for $800 month. Sure you have to ride the bus every day for an hour each way, but you're not sleeping in a van.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMontana View Post
    Hell you can do a decent motel in town cheaper than that if you rent by the month. I've seen two motels within walking distance of a big sky bus pickup spot for $800 month. Sure you have to ride the bus every day for an hour each way, but you're not sleeping in a van.
    Not to belabor the point, but the monthly winter rate at the campground is about $600...I called and asked. So about $20 a day. Includes electric and sewer hookups, Wi-Fi, showers, laundry facilities, etc. You can probably rent a room in Big Sky or Bozeman for that much... I don't really know. But the campground does give a pretty good break for long-term rentals in the winter.

If you're going to resort to staying in bozeman, skip the motel or campground route and just rent somewhere. When I was looking it seemed like the going rate for a room was ~$400 a month and you can definitely find cheaper, I pay a little more than half that. The bus ride is a long one though.

The USFS is on to it and checks those trailheads on a regular basis.
    Hey bunion, I'm curious about this. Are you saying that the forest service checks trailheads that are on forest service land or private land? I had previously been informed that it wasn't illegal to car camp at forest service trailheads if they were on public land.

There are USFS campgrounds in Gallatin canyon, some are open in the winter and you may camp there. Dispersed camping on public lands in the Canyon is no longer a reality, the areas are posted no overnight camping because of past abuse. Portal Creek is one example. You cannot legally camp along the river and the trailhead is way the fuck up the road and at least 1500 feet higher. Not sure what other trailheads are being discussed but there are very few that are van accessible in winter.

There is a large mix of public and private lands around Big Sky due to the areas history of being former Railroad grant land. The USFS doesn't deal with private lands but the vast majority are administered by property management companies and they take a hard line against squatters.

And therein lies the problem. Too many people have already been there and done that. The USFS is on to it and checks those trailheads on a regular basis. If I found a van illegally parked on my property I wouldn't be too happy about it. And I certainly wouldn't let some random person park on my land and live there. Where do you think the trash, shit and piss end up after a long winter of car camping? One of the problems is that most of the land around Big Sky is private, not USFS.

No offense but you are talking out your ass.
    You didn't have to tell me you wouldn't let someone live on your property, I could tell that from your attitude towards people trying to find a way in this thread. Obviously, the valley is your playground and non locals can fuk off, right? And heaven forbid you find a dirtbag somewhere, got the sheriff on quick-dial? Luckily, this is not the opinion held by everyone. People get permission to use land all the time, ive done it as well. Surprisingly, in these cases, there were not mountains of shit and garbage when people moved on. Just like we don't leave piles of shit everywhere when base camping in the back country. I don't really want to go in on pissing, but really? I piss off the porch all the time with no ill effect.

Hey no offense but you are still talking out your ass.

I am not saying any of this is right, it is reality and you have already said you have never been here and get all your information from Google Earth.

Bozeman/Big Sky are great places that are changing rapidly.

And fuck no I wouldn't let someone live in a vehicle on my property long term. How the fuck old are you?

Hey no offense but you are still talking out your ass.

I am not saying any of this is right, it is reality and you have already said you have never been here and get all your information from Google Earth.

Bozeman/Big Sky are great places that are changing rapidly.

And fuck no I wouldn't let someone live in a vehicle on my property long term. How the fuck old are you?
    young enough to see the world different i guess. sorry. im done here.

Another good option for a shower and wifi is a gym membership in Bozeman, ~$30 a month. Poaching hot tubs near the mountain is fun and free but sometimes frowned upon

Sal, stfu, you don't know what you're talking about.

This thread is worthless without pics and updates from the op. We could have the next Slaag Master!

And what's with all the maneuvering, and you a bloody tank commander?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I got ringworm at Bozeman Hot Springs back before Maggots lived in Bozeman . My wife got a weird nose herpe there too same time frame . So remember to touch every surface there !

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Show View Post
    I got ringworm at Bozeman Hot Springs back before Maggots lived in Bozeman . My wife got a weird nose herpe there too same time frame . So remember to touch every surface there !
    That building burnt down years ago. Doubt the ringworms survived the flames.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post

This thread is worthless without pics and updates from the op. We could have the next Slaag Master!
    RIP Slaag Master. He was a funny fuck. Dood would wipe his ass with the phone book.

Wait, did Slaag Master pass on? Have not seen anything from him in a while.

Nah he had some meltdown shit, became bloski, did it again and now I haven't seen anything from him on here in a while.

fuck some ringworm

Quote Originally Posted by southern_expat View Post
    fuck some ringworm
    Fuck nose herpes. Wtf.