Thread: 26" AM Wheels

26" AM Wheels

I'm thinking of picking up some wheels for my AM bike and wanted to see if there were any options I didn't think of. Budget is $500ish.

It seems like a safe bet is a Hope Pro 2/Stan's Flow set from one of the British sites, which would work with my budget. Is there any reason not to go this route, or are there any other options that offer exceptional value?

I have had success with my current WTB i23s and would definitely consider another set, or some i25s. Does anyone know where I can find a package on these with decent hubs?

I'm aware of the light-bicycle carbon product but I would rather keep it simple. Although some have had good luck with these, it seems like rolling the dice.

Required axle configuration is 20 mm front / 142x12 rear. Universal compatibility is a desirable feature.

I'm in the same boat, very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post

I have had success with my current WTB i23s and would definitely consider another set, or some i25s. Does anyone know where I can find a package on these with decent hubs?

I'm aware of the light-bicycle carbon product but I would rather keep it simple. Although some have had good luck with these, it seems like rolling the dice.

Edit: required axle configuration is 20 mm front / 142x12 rear. Universal compatibility is a desirable feature.
    They're calling the 142/12 rears sold out but I bet you could buy the 135s and find the end caps.

http://www.wtb.com/products/stryker

Looks like 600ish for a set.

But they're on sale. To make room for the next version of 26" wheels they're about to release no doubt.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Hope pros with some bike lite carbon rims? Similar to what I have and been very happy with them.

I've got some 26" Haven Carbons I won't be able to use much longer, 20mm front and back is currently 135 but it should be as simple as swapping the caps. I think $500 is a little low but if you could come up a bit I bet we could make something work.

PS: Any price police want to weigh in on this? Rear hub was just replaced last winter by Easton fwiw.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

If I hadn't read Beans post, I'd be telling you that carbon is a silly idea and not a good use of your money. But shit, get those Havens doood.

On the other hand, I've had good luck with a couple sets of Sun Ringle Charger Pros that can usually be had in the sub $500 range if you hunt around. I beat the crap out of mine for the last 3 years and have never touched them with a spoke wrench. Bought my wife a set of the newer Charger Pro SL and the engagement is better (50something POE) and their light as fuck. She's a ball buster with bike components too, and other than a couple of broken spokes, they're still steezy as ever.

I've been running the WTBI23/DT240 combo for years without issue, and Chain Reaction has em heavily discounted with free shipping in Canada.

FWIW you usually pay tax & import duty on CRC orders to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I've been running the WTBI23/DT240 combo for years without issue, and Chain Reaction has em heavily discounted with free shipping in Canada.
    I didn't see the WTB/DT240 wheelset on their site, but I did see this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...2/rp-prod76172
    Crazy good deal if you can convert the hubs easily

Thanks for the heads up on those. For some reason, the front and rear are the same price. Weird. But the price for a rear is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I've got some 26" Haven Carbons I won't be able to use much longer, 20mm front and back is currently 135 but it should be as simple as swapping the caps. I think $500 is a little low but if you could come up a bit I bet we could make something work.

PS: Any price police want to weigh in on this? Rear hub was just replaced last winter by Easton fwiw.
    Thanks. I sent you a PM.

So I can get an i23 built on Hope Pro2 Evo built at a local shop for about the same price. I know the DT 240 is considered a higher-end hub, but is there any reason I'd want the Hope hub instead?

New hopes have higher engagement and are easier to maintain without special tools. The DTs will be quieter and have a little less freewheel resistance. Though that is mostly splitting hairs. My experience is based on some older DT Hugi/240 and previous generation Hope Evo Pro II.

DT hubs are amazing. But their engagement is based on the needs of a road biker. Just antiquated for mountain biking. And I think they still do that thing where they sell the hub with the horrible 16T ratchet and ask you for $100 bucks (was like $40 about a year ago) to upgrade to the plastic one with 36T.
    Their biggest value is resale.