Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Anyone been up Greys River rd of late, clear?

Beautiful night up on Glory last night with some fun corn down First Turn in the last of the evening light. TGR's own ad bro Jon Grinney with some epic surfing of the earth:

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Anyone been up Greys River rd of late, clear?
    The road is closed till May 1st, I believe. Dry, but closed. Some friends hiked their kayaks in there a couple days ago to get the goods.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post
    The road is closed till May 1st, I believe. Dry, but closed. Some friends hiked their kayaks in there a couple days ago to get the goods.
    Cool thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Hope it has a great turnout from a lot of out of town guests. Not sure how I feel about it being the single largest 2015 recipient of $$ from the 2% lodging tax, 50% more than the closest other events.
    just saw the JH travel & Tourism bd is seeking 2 new board members- (they are the folks that dole out the 2% lodging tax funds) and reminded me of this discussion a few pgs ago.....maggot take-over.
    In all seriousness though I bet this would be an interesting bd to sit on

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    just saw the JH travel & Tourism bd is seeking 2 new board members- (they are the folks that dole out the 2% lodging tax funds) and reminded me of this discussion a few pgs ago.....maggot take-over.
    In all seriousness though I bet this would be an interesting bd to sit on
    Bike trails EVERYWHEREZ
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

I'm still an advocate of the idea that we get plenty of tourism right now and that maybe the lodging tax should be re-allocated for a bit rather than to "off season marketing".

I agree- doesn't necessarily seem like we need more marketing to get people here at this time. seems like we're riding multiple positive tides for tourism so it would be interesting to see if there is any other directions/ projects the board would look at. Someone apply so we can get the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Bike trails EVERYWHEREZ
    I know you are half joking, but how about a community pump track??
    I've stopped over in Boise more than once to spend time at their track so they do attract touristas

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I know you are half joking, but how about a community pump track??
    I've stopped over in Boise more than once to spend time at their track so they do attract touristas
    Yes anything like their little bike park or park city's trailside would be allllll time! Heard they'd talked about one off of lower Nelson?

I think it would be awesome to get some mags on the travel and tourism board (TTB). Lodging tax is restricted by state statute as to how it can be used. 60% must go to promoting tourism, 30% can go to offsetting the impacts of tourism, and 10% can go to the town/county general funds. I'm in favor of that 30% going to affordable housing. I also think the TTB has done a poor job of allocating the promotion money. For example, they've hired out of state marketing agencies when they could have hired local people. An idea I've had is whether that money could be used to offset the cost of keeping JHMR open for a couple of extra weeks. That would promote tourism and provide a real benefit to those of us that live there. Not sure that would be possible, but its an option that should be explored.

^I'd second that option. I tried to get on one of the other boards earlier this year, but was shot down due to not having lived here long enough. But yes all for getting mags on some boards.

^^^ word-

just heard Jack White is playing the Garter tonight. Two shows.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

^^^ word-

just heard Jack White is playing the Garter tonight. Two shows.
    For the special third stop of the acoustic tour, Jack will be playing two shows at Pink Garter Theatre/The Rose in Jackson, WY today. Both shows will be ALL AGES. Tickets for the first show go on sale at 12pm MDT at the venue box office, doors open at 3pm and the show begins at 4pm. Tickets for the second show go on sale at 4pm MDT, doors are at 8pm and the show begins at 9pm. Tickets for both shows will still be $3, cash only and one per person.
    Of all nights...

heard the line is already wrapped around to by Trio

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    An idea I've had is whether that money could be used to offset the cost of keeping JHMR open for a couple of extra weeks. That would promote tourism and provide a real benefit to those of us that live there. Not sure that would be possible, but its an option that should be explored.
    FYI it costs close to $1m to run the resort for a week. Also you never know when you are going to have another winter like this one where things are pretty warm for long stretches, staying open another week might have worked but beyond that alot of places were going to get really thin. The groomers were doing a ton of work each night to keep most runs covered.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I agree there's definitely some issues with the idea, but I'd like to see it explored, i.e. keeping part of the mountain open, weekends only, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    I agree there's definitely some issues with the idea, but I'd like to see it explored, i.e. keeping part of the mountain open, weekends only, etc.
    subsidizeJHMR? fuck that

those assholes are leeching enough public money as it is.

the start bus is basically their own transport infrastructure - yeah the handful of trips serving victor & star valley are great, but the overwhelming majority of the rider numbers are from running the bus as JHMR transport fleet. looks at the multi million dollar money sink that is the bus barn. public money. how much do the JHMR assholes contribute? free passes for employees and passholders? big fucking deal.

look at JHMR offloading OB rescue responsibility to TCSAR. OB access is a huge traffic generator for the ski area, yet they pay basically nothing to TCSAR for providing the rescue infrastructure that makes it possible. they even nickel and dime TCSAR when it comes to discounted passes to volunteers - you know, the very people you want close by when you need to call on their services.

look at them raping town ordinances and aesthetics to push through their multi story dormitories. they have land out there, why not build it there? why would they when its cheaper to hose county/town taxpayers and residents . just like that eyesore bus barn - let the locals deal with the money and land waste.

look at them willingly and intentionally ruining the skiing after the mountain closes.
    they have no regard for anything or anyone local that doesn't add to their wallets.

subsidize those leeching cocksuckers more? fuck that

Not sure if i heard this somewhere or just dreamed it up, but recall something about the open/close dates being limited by the USFS, but i could be way off-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    subsidizeJHMR? fuck that

the start bus is basically their own transport infrastructure - yeah the handful of trips serving victor & star valley are great, but the overwhelming majority of the rider numbers are from running the bus as JHMR transport fleet. looks at the multi million dollar money sink that is the bus barn. public money. how much do the JHMR assholes contribute? free passes for employees and passholders? big fucking deal.

look at JHMR offloading OB rescue responsibility to TCSAR. OB access is a huge traffic generator for the ski area, yet they pay basically nothing to TCSAR for providing the rescue infrastructure that makes it possible. they even nickel and dime TCSAR when it comes to discounted passes to volunteers - you know, the very people you want close by when you need to call on their services.

look at them raping town ordinances and aesthetics to push through their multi story dormitories. they have land out there, why not build it there? why would they when its cheaper to hose county/town taxpayers and residents . just like that eyesore bus barn - let the locals deal with the money and land waste.

look at them willingly and intentionally ruining the skiing after the mountain closes.
    they have no regard for anything or anyone local that doesn't add to their wallets.

...all valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    subsidizeJHMR? fuck that

I would contend that the bulk of the responses to OB incidents are handled by JHSP, or the Mountain Guides.
    At least as far as Cody, Four Pines, Rock Springs and Granite. The helicopter of course is another matter and it saved
    my friends life a few years back.

The employee housing is thornier issue, I just looked at the county GIS- JHMR owns (as far as I can tell) the following-
    Tram Building/Nick Wilsons, the Bridger Center, the Cody lot, the main lot, Maintenance and Operations Building, and the Cody
    House. Click on the ranch lot and you will see that the Resors own all that surrounding land. Paul McCollister had to sell just about
    everything he had to keep the resort going in the old days. There just are not many options out there.

Also in JHMR's defense I will say they built a new tram AND lowered season pass prices at the same time.

They also subsidize the airlines, which, while to their benefit in attracting customers, provides locals with lower
    airfares and more direct flights.

Critically I would say they are engaged in strategy to own all the ski shops in the village and town, and use their
    growing monopoly to cut prices on goods to hurt the remaining independents.

Otherwise all good points.

SuperGaper also makes valid points...

Jackson Hole Roll Call Winter 14/15

Not sure if i heard this somewhere or just dreamed it up, but recall something about the open/close dates being limited by the USFS, but i could be way off-
    That's been the story I've known for known for a long time. Could be off the mark though.
    Last edited by schwerty; 04-23-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Dang, who does supergaper work for? What's he drive?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I have heard that before as well, but JHMR really milks the closing dates to their advantage as an excuse.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.