Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    ^^^ word-

just heard Jack White is playing the Garter tonight. Two shows.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ^^^ word-

just heard Jack White is playing the Garter tonight. Two shows.
    For the special third stop of the acoustic tour, Jack will be playing two shows at Pink Garter Theatre/The Rose in Jackson, WY today. Both shows will be ALL AGES. Tickets for the first show go on sale at 12pm MDT at the venue box office, doors open at 3pm and the show begins at 4pm. Tickets for the second show go on sale at 4pm MDT, doors are at 8pm and the show begins at 9pm. Tickets for both shows will still be $3, cash only and one per person.
    Of all nights...

heard the line is already wrapped around to by Trio

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    An idea I've had is whether that money could be used to offset the cost of keeping JHMR open for a couple of extra weeks. That would promote tourism and provide a real benefit to those of us that live there. Not sure that would be possible, but its an option that should be explored.
    FYI it costs close to $1m to run the resort for a week. Also you never know when you are going to have another winter like this one where things are pretty warm for long stretches, staying open another week might have worked but beyond that alot of places were going to get really thin. The groomers were doing a ton of work each night to keep most runs covered.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I agree there's definitely some issues with the idea, but I'd like to see it explored, i.e. keeping part of the mountain open, weekends only, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    I agree there's definitely some issues with the idea, but I'd like to see it explored, i.e. keeping part of the mountain open, weekends only, etc.
    subsidizeJHMR? fuck that

those assholes are leeching enough public money as it is.

the start bus is basically their own transport infrastructure - yeah the handful of trips serving victor & star valley are great, but the overwhelming majority of the rider numbers are from running the bus as JHMR transport fleet. looks at the multi million dollar money sink that is the bus barn. public money. how much do the JHMR assholes contribute? free passes for employees and passholders? big fucking deal.

look at JHMR offloading OB rescue responsibility to TCSAR. OB access is a huge traffic generator for the ski area, yet they pay basically nothing to TCSAR for providing the rescue infrastructure that makes it possible. they even nickel and dime TCSAR when it comes to discounted passes to volunteers - you know, the very people you want close by when you need to call on their services.

look at them raping town ordinances and aesthetics to push through their multi story dormitories. they have land out there, why not build it there? why would they when its cheaper to hose county/town taxpayers and residents . just like that eyesore bus barn - let the locals deal with the money and land waste.

look at them willingly and intentionally ruining the skiing after the mountain closes.
    they have no regard for anything or anyone local that doesn't add to their wallets.

subsidize those leeching cocksuckers more? fuck that

Not sure if i heard this somewhere or just dreamed it up, but recall something about the open/close dates being limited by the USFS, but i could be way off-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    subsidizeJHMR? fuck that

the start bus is basically their own transport infrastructure - yeah the handful of trips serving victor & star valley are great, but the overwhelming majority of the rider numbers are from running the bus as JHMR transport fleet. looks at the multi million dollar money sink that is the bus barn. public money. how much do the JHMR assholes contribute? free passes for employees and passholders? big fucking deal.

look at JHMR offloading OB rescue responsibility to TCSAR. OB access is a huge traffic generator for the ski area, yet they pay basically nothing to TCSAR for providing the rescue infrastructure that makes it possible. they even nickel and dime TCSAR when it comes to discounted passes to volunteers - you know, the very people you want close by when you need to call on their services.

look at them raping town ordinances and aesthetics to push through their multi story dormitories. they have land out there, why not build it there? why would they when its cheaper to hose county/town taxpayers and residents . just like that eyesore bus barn - let the locals deal with the money and land waste.

look at them willingly and intentionally ruining the skiing after the mountain closes.
    they have no regard for anything or anyone local that doesn't add to their wallets.

...all valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    subsidizeJHMR? fuck that

I would contend that the bulk of the responses to OB incidents are handled by JHSP, or the Mountain Guides.
    At least as far as Cody, Four Pines, Rock Springs and Granite. The helicopter of course is another matter and it saved
    my friends life a few years back.

The employee housing is thornier issue, I just looked at the county GIS- JHMR owns (as far as I can tell) the following-
    Tram Building/Nick Wilsons, the Bridger Center, the Cody lot, the main lot, Maintenance and Operations Building, and the Cody
    House. Click on the ranch lot and you will see that the Resors own all that surrounding land. Paul McCollister had to sell just about
    everything he had to keep the resort going in the old days. There just are not many options out there.

Also in JHMR's defense I will say they built a new tram AND lowered season pass prices at the same time.

They also subsidize the airlines, which, while to their benefit in attracting customers, provides locals with lower
    airfares and more direct flights.

Critically I would say they are engaged in strategy to own all the ski shops in the village and town, and use their
    growing monopoly to cut prices on goods to hurt the remaining independents.

Otherwise all good points.

SuperGaper also makes valid points...

Jackson Hole Roll Call Winter 14/15

Not sure if i heard this somewhere or just dreamed it up, but recall something about the open/close dates being limited by the USFS, but i could be way off-
    That's been the story I've known for known for a long time. Could be off the mark though.
    Last edited by schwerty; 04-23-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Dang, who does supergaper work for? What's he drive?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I have heard that before as well, but JHMR really milks the closing dates to their advantage as an excuse.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

It's part of the lease from GTNP. At least that's what Turiano's old book describes....

must mean the forest. Only park nexus is Granite...

From what I know ski patrol responds to incidents OB only when the sheriffs office asks them to. When they do go OB, they are then working for the sheriffs office/TCSAR and not patrol.

Housing is a difficult issue. There isn't much undeveloped land around to build on that has close access to the bus routes, stores, etc. JHMR owns most of the Stilson lot but I'm guessing there would also be alot of backlash against much development there.

As far as staying open longer, there has been talk of adding a week or two to the end of the season so closing day is not a date set in stone by the forest service. The problem is that almost no destination visitors come that late in the season after spring break is over. With little revenue coming in its a hard sell to stay open longer.

Supergaper, JHMR hasn't been looking to purchase other retail stores. The Hoback purchase happened because H came to JHMR when he was looking to sell the business.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

there ain't any fat ladies round here, so...

it's not over folks 4/25/15 my usual stomping grounds got I love that run!!!

bike, run, tour repeat.. Starting to love spring and fall more then the other two season!
    #stoked

It's only stoke if it doesn't make the rest of us feel like pussies for not being out there too! JK nice work, and good to know the goods are almost always there if one is willing to put in the effort.

proper 4/26

Little mashed potatoie but its snowboarding in late April, stoked!!

skittles you going to post some up from today? Or save them for powder

Posted in sprocket rockets already, but figured I might get more traffic here.
    Any Jackson folk have a beater bike they might lend out Monday/Tuesday, so I can ride to Jenny lake in order to shred the gnarz? Bueller?

Fast, long running sluffs today.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Had a great time riding lifts for one last time today at the ghee. Got pretty heavy later on and the fog rolled in but my one lap on Mary's was nice and deep. Saw some natural activity up above on peaked on my way down, most likely why it was closed one lap later.

so cool- they have a heli dropping new lift towers on snow king right now. it's like a larger than life video game

^totally. I'm wondering when the heli noise is going to get irritating from the office today.

what year?