Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Hey y'all - looking for some beta (for a friend, dammit) re: access to the Wind River range. How is the winter access - or in a couple weeks? Specifically, to Titcomb Basin area - leaving from Elkhart TH I assume (but let me know if there's a faster way).

Thanks folks
    From this weekend.

The road to Elkhart isn't plowed. With a good high clearance 4wd you could easily make it within 3 miles of the TH. After that it's probably pretty driver/vehicle dependant. Don't leave your car in the middle of the road.

If you've never been a GPS with a well plotted map will be super useful. Really tricky navigation through the trees for the first couple miles. Coverage is pretty good up there.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

been a while

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    From this weekend.

The road to Elkhart isn't plowed. With a good high clearance 4wd you could easily make it within 3 miles of the TH. After that it's probably pretty driver/vehicle dependant. Don't leave your car in the middle of the road.

If you've never been a GPS with a well plotted map will be super useful. Really tricky navigation through the trees for the first couple miles. Coverage is pretty good up there.
    Thank you very much Aaron. Much appreciated. I've done this approach in summer, and know it's still a long way from the TH, but 3 miles is a minimal addition.

"A deep snowpack does not guarantee good skiing, nor does a thin snowpack guarantee suckage." -Poach Chi Minh

Yet another billiard table smooth, fast & carvy corn run today reminded me of the above quoted wisdom.

Years ago, in another part of the Rockies, we experienced a drought year, a real bad one. It wouldn't snow, but it was minus 20F for months, until March when it was minus 30! It was gray & gloomy the whole time. The winds above treeline raged at 80MPH for months, yet it refused to snow. The snowpack in the forest was comprised entirely of hudge, unsupportive facets. Any & all crusts were breakable, never supportive. Snow in the alpine was a sea of tortured rock hard sastrugi. We got all of the winter, but none of the snow. It was, in the immortal words of Comic Book Guy, the "worst episode ever".

This year, in the mtns surrounding JH it was a different story. It was sunny for weeks & months at a time. It was mild, even warm. Winds were light to nonexistent. I came to expect summit time & was rarely disappointed. Supportive crusts vastly outnumbered breakable ones. Avalanche conditions were manageable, even boring. Travel conditions were fast to the point of being ridiculous. Compared to that other year, this was a pleasure.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I gotta give it a thumbs up. I will long remember this season as the "friendly drought".
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

so what channel are we using on the pass again

Stoked and honored to have BCA run this piece
    http://www.backcountryaccess.com/201...ink-telluride/

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Hardslab View Post
    This year, in the mtns surrounding JH it was a different story. It was sunny for weeks & months at a time. It was mild, even warm. Winds were light to nonexistent. I came to expect summit time & was rarely disappointed. Supportive crusts vastly outnumbered breakable ones. Avalanche conditions were manageable, even boring. Travel conditions were fast to the point of being ridiculous. Compared to that other year, this was a pleasure.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I gotta give it a thumbs up. I will long remember this season as the "friendly drought".
    You pretty much described weather and snowpack conditions in the Sierra - at least in non-epic drought years. 3-5 day storm cycles, then 2 weeks of high pressure, stable, and warm.

Sure, I'd love to have blower all winter, but there is a lot to be said for generally consistent mid-winter stability.

Ghee was rad this morning. Still snowing.

wheres all the surfy skiers? put your money where your mouth is.. let me know if you want to take some laps on the pass

Here's a vid of some Granite skiing about a month ago...

Last ski day of the season for me on Taylor yesterday. Nice corn up on the apron, getting sticky and patchy on the way out. Going to commemorate dear friend AJ today, then heading south with bikes. Look for me and Panchosdad in new white Ram Promaster with Idaho mountainbiking plates- Thunder Mtn, Moab, Fruita, etc. It was a decent season, not the best ever, and the last couple weeks helped finish it for me with a bang. No traverse due to plane crash repercussions (long story... don't feel like telling it right now), but the mountains will be there. Thanks all for paying attention out there.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Last ski day of the season for me on Taylor yesterday. Nice corn up on the apron, getting sticky and patchy on the way out. Going to commemorate dear friend AJ today, then heading south with bikes. Look for me and Panchosdad in new white Ram Promaster with Idaho mountainbiking plates- Thunder Mtn, Moab, Fruita, etc. It was a decent season, not the best ever, and the last couple weeks helped finish it for me with a bang. No traverse due to plane crash repercussions (long story... don't feel like telling it right now), but the mountains will be there. Thanks all for paying attention out there.
    Thanks for your beta and wisdom out there homemade this season. We all benefited from it. Have fun on the road, wish I could be heading off for a few weeks of biking right now!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Where's the snowline starting up in the park these days? Just got back from doing the haute route for my honeymoon so been MIA for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Where's the snowline starting up in the park these days? Just got back from doing the haute route for my honeymoon so been MIA for two weeks.
    Still pretty far down, skied from the parking lot to 25 Short last week. Holding relatively well but with this consistent sun I imagine that's changing.

BTW everyone–Teton Pass CLOSED this Thursday from 9-11, all parking lots from 5 am to 11:30:

For Immediate Release: April 20, 2015; 9:00am

Attention Travelers of Wyoming 22, Teton Pass:

The Wyoming Department of Transportation has scheduled a closure of Teton Pass for

Thursday, April 23rd, from 9:00am to 11:00am to conduct target acquisition with the

M101 Howitzer. There will be no public access allowed at Phillips Bench, Teton Pass

Summit, and Coal Creek from 5:00am to 11:30am. Highway travelers and

backcountry users are advised to plan accordingly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Dial 511 or go to www.wyoroad.info for updated weather and road conditions.

Sign up for automated email and text alerts with 511 notify at www.wyoroad.info.

Anyone been up Greys River rd of late, clear?

Beautiful night up on Glory last night with some fun corn down First Turn in the last of the evening light. TGR's own ad bro Jon Grinney with some epic surfing of the earth:

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Anyone been up Greys River rd of late, clear?
    The road is closed till May 1st, I believe. Dry, but closed. Some friends hiked their kayaks in there a couple days ago to get the goods.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post
    The road is closed till May 1st, I believe. Dry, but closed. Some friends hiked their kayaks in there a couple days ago to get the goods.
    Cool thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Hope it has a great turnout from a lot of out of town guests. Not sure how I feel about it being the single largest 2015 recipient of $$ from the 2% lodging tax, 50% more than the closest other events.
    just saw the JH travel & Tourism bd is seeking 2 new board members- (they are the folks that dole out the 2% lodging tax funds) and reminded me of this discussion a few pgs ago.....maggot take-over.
    In all seriousness though I bet this would be an interesting bd to sit on

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    just saw the JH travel & Tourism bd is seeking 2 new board members- (they are the folks that dole out the 2% lodging tax funds) and reminded me of this discussion a few pgs ago.....maggot take-over.
    In all seriousness though I bet this would be an interesting bd to sit on
    Bike trails EVERYWHEREZ

I'm still an advocate of the idea that we get plenty of tourism right now and that maybe the lodging tax should be re-allocated for a bit rather than to "off season marketing".

I agree- doesn't necessarily seem like we need more marketing to get people here at this time. seems like we're riding multiple positive tides for tourism so it would be interesting to see if there is any other directions/ projects the board would look at. Someone apply so we can get the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Bike trails EVERYWHEREZ
    I know you are half joking, but how about a community pump track??
    I've stopped over in Boise more than once to spend time at their track so they do attract touristas

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I know you are half joking, but how about a community pump track??
    I've stopped over in Boise more than once to spend time at their track so they do attract touristas
    Yes anything like their little bike park or park city's trailside would be allllll time! Heard they'd talked about one off of lower Nelson?

I think it would be awesome to get some mags on the travel and tourism board (TTB). Lodging tax is restricted by state statute as to how it can be used. 60% must go to promoting tourism, 30% can go to offsetting the impacts of tourism, and 10% can go to the town/county general funds. I'm in favor of that 30% going to affordable housing. I also think the TTB has done a poor job of allocating the promotion money. For example, they've hired out of state marketing agencies when they could have hired local people. An idea I've had is whether that money could be used to offset the cost of keeping JHMR open for a couple of extra weeks. That would promote tourism and provide a real benefit to those of us that live there. Not sure that would be possible, but its an option that should be explored.

^I'd second that option. I tried to get on one of the other boards earlier this year, but was shot down due to not having lived here long enough. But yes all for getting mags on some boards.