Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Biggest/Best Ski Shop In SLC?

I'm in SLC for a couple of days. Back home ski shops are mediocre at best so I'm looking to shop while I'm here. I don't need boots or skis (i want to demo 1st this winter) but I'm looking to replace all my other aging stuff including goggles.

Buy your accessories online, why the hell would you want to pay sales tax and give any more money than necessary to the backwards state of Utah?

I want to try stuff on 1st, especially goggles to fit my fat head and choose my lenses. We don't have many options at home so I never know what I'll find in a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Buy your accessories online, why the hell would you want to pay sales tax and give any more money than necessary to the backwards state of Utah?
    I patronize Backcountry. You can go to their distribution center and buy it there although you will pay sales tax and big deal, Utah sales tax is not too bad. Nobody but nobody has the selection that BC has, every imaginable thing you want, good return policy and their employees are all pretty welled chilled out.

If you want to avoid the sales tax just go there, try on everything you want and then order it when you get home. They have free shipping if you spend over a certain amount. BC warehouse is bigger than a Costco store, you tell them want you want to see, they bring it up to the front for you to try on or inspect.

Are they in SLC?

Found them & not too far. Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Not far from downtown, keep your doors locked.

That was a bust! Still have to shop on line and retail customers are a real inconvenience for them! Maybe good if you know exactly what you want.

Biggest/Best Ski Shop In SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by cbtbakkes View Post
    That was a bust! Still have to shop on line and retail customers are a real inconvenience for them! Maybe good if you know exactly what you want.
    Bc was a bust? Sit at the computer and figure out what you want. Then ask for it. Pretty simple. If you want someone else to tell you what to buy go to REI or a traditional shop with less selection and a worse return policy.

What he said. Did you pick up tacos from the food truck in the parking lot? No? that's the problem

Nope! I know what I want and I needed to see a few items to find the ones that will work best. I'll shop around and find exactly what I want and if their price is best I'll DIY from them but as far as their staff in the "retail" end at least the guy I spoke to was bothered that I even asked to see a couple of items. Took about 25 minutes to see them too!

Nope! I know what I want and I needed to see a few items to find the ones that will work best. I'll shop around and find exactly what I want and if their price is best I'll DIY from them but as far as their staff in the "retail" end at least the guy I spoke to was bothered that I even asked to see a couple of items. Took about 25 minutes to see them too!
    Oh wow, that sounds awful. Are you ok? How soon do you get to go back to Chicago?

No need to get pissy...bro! This was just my observation.

No need to get pissy...bro! This was just my observation.
    If you must interact with someone that pretends to give a shit about your adventures, try an overpriced shop like Powder House.

Apparently you give a shit...

Apparently you give a shit...
    A leetle. Not much but I was hoping you'd talk about a heli trip or something amusing.

Nope...I'm in SLC...

Check out the REI off I-215. Become a member, end of year 10% rebate, returns are fair & easy, if not in-store they will get it for you. Check their on-line catalog for brands/models they carry.

Look here for equipment and list of retailers:
    http://blackdiamondequipment.com/

? Is there a BD outlet/seconds store in SLC?
    Last edited by Lostinthetrees; 11-10-2014 at 06:32 PM.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

I had a similar experience at BC a couple of years ago and haven't been back. As a customer, I was not as important or as interesting as the internet for the guys behind the counter. Getting the gear from the procurement window took a long time, and the girl wasn't liking her job that day.

Having worked the Black Diamond Retail Store, I'm biased. They have a large selection of backcountry oriented gear, deals in the basement, and great customer service. Also check out Level Nine, Sports Den, and 2nd tracks for deals on used gear. If you go to REI, walk around the corner to IME. They have a fine selection of outerwear and a consignment room.

Kinda surprised more folks aren't giving props to their local shops when someone asks instead of "buy it online for cheap".

Thanks JKnight!

I don't understand why all these people are expecting a traditional retail experience from backcountry. The place is literally the warehouse that holds the stuff you buy online. It is so much easier than regular stores. You just pick what you want and try it on and you don't have some dude working on commission asking you if you need anything every five minutes.

Anyways, my shop of choice lately had been second tracks,but you don't sound like someone who would shop there.

Definitely wasn't expecting a traditional retail experience, just some human decency. The place screams non-traditional retail when you walk in. It would be cool if they got rid of the humans all together. One robot at the counter, and one at the window.

Ski Trucks! They've got all the latest gear.

Or, go to Level Nine, plenty of stuff, good staff, have skifishbum recite a Broku for you.

I went to this place once when I was in a pinch and needed a part ASAP. Most of the shops around town didn't carry what I needed and these dudes had it. Seemed like a pretty legit place for mountain bikers.

http://www.go-ride.com/

Edit: oops, thought this was Sprocket Rockets.... anyway, this is a good bike shop.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    l9 gots a pretty good goggle and glove and helmet selection
    aside from a few decent cloudveil shells kinda meh on outerwear
    if them kids in the shop aint super stoked to assist you
    the old custy lookin bro will come out and school them in the ways of valuable guests to our store services
    remind them how stoked a week on the beach in maui or costa rica gets ya
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno