Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Fuck. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    America's Cup "yacht"? There oughta be a rule that it has to look like a sailboat. Grumble grumble.
    Um, what? Why don’t you draw on a napkin what you think the apex of yacht design should be in 2021. We’ll wait.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Um, what? Why don’t you draw on a napkin what you think the apex of yacht design should be in 2021. We’ll wait.
    Name:  viokinglongships14.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  86.8 KB
    That's what a sailboat looked like in my day. OK to leave off the oars if you want.

Yer gonna need those oars if you want to go waterskiing....

Sail power has nothing on galley slaves.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I was watching PBS American Experience about Elizabeth Friedman, the main US codebreaker in WWI and WWII and in between helped bring down Capone. Quaker who left the fold, married a Jewish guy and together they pretty much invented codebreaking. She organized and trained the US codebreaking team in WWII, getting paid half of what her husband was getting in another branch of the govt. She broke a version of the Enigma machine German spies were using to transmit trans Atlantic shipping info to the U-boat command. Turing had an actual Enigma machine to work with. Friedman didn't, she reverse engineered it by breaking the code mathematically. Then she and her team were put under the command of a man, because a woman couldn't be in charge of men, and J Edgar Hoover took all the credit for taking down the German spy ring.
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...s/codebreaker/

A day late, my daughter and I watched the whole MLK "I have a dream speech". The piece that often gets played, the part I am super familiar with, is only about 1/3 of the whole thing. I am not sure if I had listened to the whole thing before, certainly not closely. Thoughts:

1. He advocated peaceful protest, but holy shit was he a revolutionary. His speech was not peaceful (even though he does say you have to be careful to be peaceful when you protest). He was truly advocating for revolution.
    2. Wow, what a preacher and speech writer.
    3. The final punch, the 5 minutes or so that we all know, was even more powerful having heard the whole thing.
    4. Millions of people that freak because a guy kneeled during the national anthem at a sports event, yet hold MLK in high regard, would be going apeshit if they actually heard all of what he had to say, it wasn't "I'm just gonna kneel here during the anthem" stuff. It was 100% revolution.

It may not be earth-shattering to call the whole thing impressive, but it is more impressive then you might expect, even if you were expecting impressive.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Amanda Gorman reciting her poem today... Outstanding!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

^ I was gonna write that. Stunning.

It was stunning.

There was a part of her poem that very clearly gave a nod to MLK's I have a dream speech.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In other news, the current cost, technology, and build quality of non-stick pans blows me away. Haven't owned one for 30 years, and this $20 one I just got is magic.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VHRPZX7/

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    A day late, my daughter and I watched the whole MLK "I have a dream speech". The piece that often gets played, the part I am super familiar with, is only about 1/3 of the whole thing. I am not sure if I had listened to the whole thing before, certainly not closely. Thoughts:

1. He advocated peaceful protest, but holy shit was he a revolutionary. His speech was not peaceful (even though he does say you have to be careful to be peaceful when you protest). He was truly advocating for revolution.
    2. Wow, what a preacher and speech writer.
    3. The final punch, the 5 minutes or so that we all know, was even more powerful having heard the whole thing.
    4. Millions of people that freak because a guy kneeled during the national anthem at a sports event, yet hold MLK in high regard, would be going apeshit if they actually heard all of what he had to say, it wasn't "I'm just gonna kneel here during the anthem" stuff. It was 100% revolution.

It may not be earth-shattering to call the whole thing impressive, but it is more impressive then you might expect, even if you were expecting impressive.
    The speech was given first in Detroit following a march down Woodward Ave, shortly before the March on Washington. The visit was organized by Rev CL Franklin, Aretha's father. Only minor differences between the two speeches. GOAT American speech? I think so.

Below zero temps plus wind and snow in Chicago--an alderman turned the basement of his house into a warming shelter. Just heard on TV news--I don't find an online source.

^ In a weird way it impresses me that anyone chooses to live in Chicago.

thats fair
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^ In a weird way it impresses me that anyone chooses to live in Chicago.
    As far as a city goes its pretty great though. Sure you get cold snaps but the average January high is 32. Lots of big cities have shitty weather, NY, Boston, Seattle, DC (and while I know most wouldn't agree, anywhere in the South, FUCK their summers)

Yeah, if I had to live in a major metro area in the United States (and Seattle, Portland, SLC, Denver are all far too small and provincial to count), Chicago would be high on the list. It's a great city, as far as cities go.

It’s a great place to visit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Great pizza in Chicago. (I'm AC/DC as far as pizza goes.)

Cheese soup in a bread bowl.

What are your thoughts on Detroit style pizza?

I'm from Chicago and I don't like the pizza, but it's a great town.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    What are your thoughts on Detroit style pizza?
    I used to deliver it in Detroit and ate it for dinner every night and never got tired of it. Whether it was Detroit-style or not I don't know. Place was owned by a 30 something Italian immigrant whose 3 brothers also owned pizzerias but I'm guessing they learned how to make pizza in the US, because it was nothing like the pizza I had in Italy.

Edit--after looking it up, I guess our pizza wasn't Detroit style. He used mozzarella and it was round. New York style I suppose. I've never had Detroit style pizza.

Detroit wasn't a bad place to live in the 50's and early 60's. Good schools, housing stock, parks, 4 pro teams, libraries, museums--at least if you were middle or upper class. All that changed with the riot, the decline of domestic automaking, the abandoning the city by said middle and upper class. People talk about a rebirth in Detroit but it will never come close to what it was.
    Last edited by old goat; 02-14-2021 at 02:21 PM.

I'm impressed by that shit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.56.59 PM.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	666.6 KB 
ID:	363007