Pond Hockey 2014-2015

That time of year boys. Get it while you can.

Today was one of those days. Began hiking at 8:15 am and it was 40 degrees at the trailhead at 9,800 feet.

A mile in and it was warm enough to hike in a t-shirt. We got to Box Lake and it was all open water.

Long was water as well. At this point it was unknown if we would have ice at Gem. As we climbed above Long Lake and past Chickenfoot the trail became snowier and you could feel the chill in the air as you passed through the shadows. We took the early cutoff towards Gem and crossed the meadow hoping for ice.

Once we crossed the outlet our destination came into view.

Victory!

We headed to the back corner, in the shade, and laced them up.

The ice was perfect.

It was so clear/black that we played with a white goalie trainer puck. Maybe I will send this to Easton?

Sure beats a Mid-Western retention pond, eh?

Get some

Let the games, begin.

We through in the sticks

and had a nice game of 3 on 3 at 11,000 feet. This will let you know how good of shape you are not in. All you Bro

Meanwhile, down at ice level

and the final shot from behind the net during the second intermission.

Just another great day in the High Sierra.
    Last edited by 45hill; 11-10-2014 at 03:00 AM.

One of the greatest trip reports
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Nice to see pond hockey season start! Great pictures

Love it. One of my fave memories from growing up was playing hockey on the res in NJ every day after school. Playing outside is fucking awesome. Of course playing at 11k surrounded by mountains beats NJ by a long shot.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Took the kids up today. My ten year old was more than willing to do the 3.5 mile hike in. After skating at 11k for two and a half hours the hike out was a little rough. I kept feeding his head with the thought of a bacon cheeseburger and milkshake at Tom's Place and he pushed through.

This was first thing in the morning.

Almost to the lake. At this point he could see the ice and was stoked to lace them up.

Sharpening his skills

Lot's of groms made it out to day for a game of shinny.

Dangle

Deke

Snipe

All smiles before the hitting the trail home.

Great day with the kids.

Such a rad TR!

That first ice you found was absolutely gorgeous.

Puts the pond hockey I grew up on to shame.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Puts the pond hockey I grew up on to shame.
    Mine too. I skated the most disgusting smelling, orange, runoff ponds right next to the NJ turnpike. We would hike through the woods and have to run from druggies, drunks, and hookers shooting up after blowing truck drivers in the Monticello Motor Lodge parking lot.

If we were really lucky they would fill the tennis courts behind my house. I would skate from the time I got home from school until my dad would whistle me home at 5:15 for dinner. On the weekends my Mom would bring us sandwiches so we didn't have leave the ice.

This is my heaven and is slowly taking over skiing for me. Don't get me wrong, I love skiing but this is something really special. Especially sharing it with my kids. It is supposed to snow a measly inch Thursday and this will be ruined. Hopefully the cold temps freeze lower lakes reducing our hike in time. Thing is you rarely get as good of ice as you do before it snows.

Actually, it's not taking away from skiing just adding to it. I love fall for hiking and ice skating on alpine lakes. Great exercise without realizing you are training for skiing. Our local rink will open over thanksgiving and in January they putting a roof on it. Now we will be able to skate from Nov-April. Throw in some lake skating, snowmobiling, skiing and snowboarding and that is heaven.

It just breaks my heart to see perfect ice get ruined by shit storm that doesn't so the resort any good. Dump two feet and I would be fine with it. One inch? Meh

Wow. Spectacular.

Shoveled off quite a few ponds in my day but that one takes the win.

For those that love pond hockey check out the World Pond Hockey Championship. Basically a giant winter tailgate with some hockey mixed in.

I've never been but I have a couple buddies that go every year.

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/worldpondhockey/home

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Great report, still waiting for ice season to start up here in Tahoe.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Our "pond" here is looking really good. By this weekend it should be safe, but snow is also coming.

So we will just break out the snow blowers and start clearing the ice. Things are in the works to have a pond hockey tournament here in January.

Nice TR! No action since November?

I skated on Crowley Lake the other day.

Starting down Crooked Creek:

Looking back:

Hopefully this warm weather (or some pathetic shower) isn't ruining the ice, I'ld like to return with some hockey players this weekend.
    It's not my fault you can't telemark.

A friend Built a rink on the pond behind his house. 250 feet of scrap cedar siding for boards The boards mostly kept the pucks out of the open water. It was more fun than skiing, sadly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1422930900564.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	163402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1422930917233.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	163403  
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

Nothing like a game of shinny. In the mountains at 11k? fuckin sweet
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy