Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Definitely. And the spokes even stay tight!
    but you know the wheelbuilder.

these rims you're talking about aren't Mavic, have the laws of the universe been upended?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Why does chatter matter?
    Seriously? That's feedback going into your body. It's something that directly works against what suspension tries to accomplish.

It also affects traction.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    but you know the wheelbuilder.
    Actually I don't. I didn't build these. All I've done is tighten them up a few times and change some hub bearings. Apparently they've gotten better (as in Loctite) but every pair of I-9s I've ridden just constantly loosened up. Their newer wheels look pretty tempting though if I were looking for something else.

these rims you're talking about aren't Mavic, have the laws of the universe been upended?
    So you understand how significant a personal milestone this is for me............

Until they blow up on me these wheels accomplish what took me a lot of heavy wheelbuilds to reach. And they're still better in most ways. Just not as smooth a ride.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Seriously? That's feedback going into your body. It's something that directly works against what suspension tries to accomplish.

It also affects traction.
    A little, sure. But those are arguments against carbon. In these discussions people seem to mention chatter as if it's some kind of plus. It's not evidence of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    A little, sure. But those are arguments against carbon. In these discussions people seem to mention chatter as if it's some kind of plus. It's not evidence of strength.

Well yeah, I'm not trying to present some glorious one sided hail mary perspective. Yes it's certainly a strike against carbon, which is exactly how I meant it.

What that chatter IS, is a byproduct of the stiffness you get out of wheels built with them that also provide crazy good lateral tracking on smooth surfaces and pocket turns, and quick acceleration from a lighter rim. But on slower, rougher trails it actually feels like you might be going slower because so much more of that pinging is going into your body and bike and not getting absorbed by a more compliant wheel.

Anyone who thinks rattling your teeth more is a good thing should just also proclaim the virtues of 1.5 tires on a rigid hardtail. Roughness doesn't exactly equate to efficiency. I'm most certainly NOT in that camp.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 11-18-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Actually I don't. I didn't build these. All I've done is tighten them up a few times and change some hub bearings. Apparently they've gotten better (as in Loctite) but every pair of I-9s I've ridden just constantly loosened up. Their newer wheels look pretty tempting though if I were looking for something else.
    what's up with the loosening? alu-alu-alu, stretching?

I have one friend who has a set, he's not a wheel-eater, everyone I know who's ridden his bike says the wheels are crazy responsive/unflexy. I haven't ridden it/them.

So you understand how significant a personal milestone this is for me............

Until they blow up on me these wheels accomplish what took me a lot of heavy wheelbuilds to reach. And they're still better in most ways. Just not as smooth a ride.
    They're retaining tires okay?

The "not as smooth a ride" seems like it would be a non-issue on a FS bike -- tune the suspension accordingly. Is that true?

what's up with the loosening? alu-alu-alu, stretching??
    Like I said a few posts up. Just mostly unridden/not ridden enough wheels that hadn't bedded in is my guess. I bought them from someone in Chicago.

They're retaining tires okay?

The "not as smooth a ride" seems like it would be a non-issue on a FS bike -- tune the suspension accordingly. Is that true?
    With gorilla tape and latex, they've been sealing maxxis and specialized tires just fine. And unlike knife edged mavic UST rims, I don't need to be quite as religious about pressures to keep from pinch flatting the tire.

On the suspension thing.....sort of. But just like how you can tell the difference in tire pressure on an fs bike, you still feel it. MTB shocks absorb and damp the medium and big things really well, not all the super fast minuscule ones. There's no way a fork can keep up with that. I still have the pair of crossmax sx wheels I took off and use them for shuttle or more abusive descents since I don't have a 7" bike any more. Those wheels are pretty damn stiff too but they definitely damp out of a lot of the high frequency stuff I never even noticed in life until I got a pair of these enve things. I think the trade off is worth it.

But anyone who tells you there is no trade off is probably squinting their eyes in pain through the ass blisters and wrist pain murmuring "this must be what efficiency feels like"

hmmm sounding worse and worse. I'd love to have a hardtail but the body can't handle it anymore. travel/compliance is my friend. new crossmax 27.5's might be better for me

Go find some to ride. That will tell you more than anyone on the internet can.

ya that's probably best

So, is there any consensus on what cheap chinese carbon rims to buy? A long cold winter will have me finding clever ways to justify spending more and more money to build up my first wheel.

I don't know any that are cheaper than Light-Bicycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Smurf 775 View Post
    I am 220 lbs and have been riding the Light bike 29 inch carbon wheels for two seasons, no problems. When riding on my stans 29er I could feel lateral flex, with the carbon rims that is greatly reduced. Made my bike feel totally alive and was the most noticeable on off camber corners. I could see how lighter riders would not see huge differences but for me they rock and given their current cost I do not see any reason why not to be using them. I think bigger riders on 29ers would see the most benefit.

Agree. Weight of rider is a big factor, as well as terrain. I'm circa 200lbs depending on last nights beer selection, and ride the same frickin trail everyday, so I like to hit bumpy corners with some speed.
    They don't flex laterally much, and that's my least favorite of all the flexings. I'm on a VPP, so limiting lateral flex is big. I have the LB 27.5 35mm super enduropro wide rims with 2.4" tyres. I think a aluminum front might be a bit more supple, but the rear carbon is def the bees knees, for me.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs