Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Andy Wirth Bombshell-ARE LOCAL NON-PROFIT GROUPS BEING MANIPULATED BY SQUAW VALLEY SK

Unofficial Alpine uncovers the latest attempt to unethically influence the common people.

http://unofficialalpine.com/?p=6395

After a good long laugh, I think I wanted to cry. I think he's brilliant in many many ways, but he needs Jiminy Cricket on his shoulder to whack him in the earhole at times. http://allthingsd.com/files/2011/09/...-wallpaper.png

Duchebaggery, Mr. Andy Wirth, duchebaggery.

First of all, there are now 3 threads that I can recall on the subject of the Village, all started by FOSV I think--seems like one would do it.
    I don't see what's unethical here. Various bleeding-heart liberal organizations that I belong to or give money to ask me to sign letters to my legislators about this or that issue--letters written by the organizations that want them signed. I can and often do write my own letters but I see nothing unethical with signing someone else's letter. The ultimate example is the petition--someone writes a document supporting their cause, often to get the issue on the ballot, and then asks a few thousand, or a few hundred thousand people to sign it.
    I also don't see anything wrong with an organization that for example feeds hungry people deciding that getting money from KSL is more important than the interests of a few hundred mostly well off homeowners and a bunch of not-so-poor skiers. (Hypothetical example--I have no idea how Project MANA feels about all of this). As far as manipulation goes, the term is offensive to the leaders of the nonprofits involved, who are certainly well aware of the issues over the Village and are capable of making up their own minds. Nor do I believe the issue of incorporation will be decided by whether or not the letter is supported--the issue will be decided by the LAFCO, on financial and legal grounds and by the registered voters of OV.
    And bombshell? KSL, which has a lot of money at stake, is doing everything it legally can to get its plans approved. How is that a bombshell? I do feel there is some unethical behavior if the money KSL is spending comes from ski area revenue, especially passholder revenue--since we are expecting the money be used to support full operations and on mountain improvements. It could be that the donations and political spending comes from an account separate from mountain revenue and operations. Unfortunately as a privately held company KSL doesn't have to divulge that information.
    I'm not a fan of the village expansion, primarily for my own selfish reasons--I just want a place to park and a few new high speed lifts--but it seems to me the more vocal opponents are in danger of overstating their case.

I am nowhere near Squaw and have no interest in this issue, but that is hilarious that he got busted writing his own letter of support. Total FAIL by the rich dude.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Andy Wirth Bombshell-ARE LOCAL NON-PROFIT GROUPS BEING MANIPULATED BY SQUAW V...

Quote Originally Posted by FriendsofSV View Post
    Unofficial Alpine uncovers the latest attempt to unethically influence the common people.
    p=6395[/url]
    I think it would behoove both of these organizations to work together.

Make them build a ton of affordable housing and a good mass transit system. That way your village isn't completely dead in the summer.

Or you can both spend a ton of money fighting each other, while VR steels your base and fucks you in the ass.

I don't think there's anything unethical, it's just a douchebag move to write a letter like that about yourself (and not your company which is donating the money), especially comparing yourself to Mother Teresa. That part was hilarious.

Douchey move for the initial nonprofit person to try to pass it off as her letter too. And deceptive. Although, I agree, the ethics aren't really an issue.

I also agree with OG on the thread proliferation. Keep it in one place thanks, Jamie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70157130

S04E11, just for laughs in this context.

^^^ Was totally just thinking the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Make them build a ton of affordable housing and a good mass transit system. That way your village isn't completely dead in the summer.

Or you can both spend a ton of money fighting each other, while VR steels your base and fucks you in the ass.
    From the letter of support. Penned by what appears to be Andy's biggest fan....

"Finally, a leader emerged at Squaw who understands philanthropy and took time to understand the needs of our community.”

So, did the community express a need for affordable housing and improved mass transit???

I'd like to volunteer to help Andy dig the hole for the first monorail support tower for the train that goes from Truckee to Squaw to Tahoe City.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    From the letter of support. Penned by what appears to be Andy's biggest fan....

"Finally, a leader emerged at Squaw who understands philanthropy and took time to understand the needs of our community.”

So, did the community express a need for affordable housing and improved mass transit???

I'd like to volunteer to help Andy dig the hole for the first monorail support tower for the train that goes from Truckee to Squaw to Tahoe City.
    Agree, andI'd like to see SV come up with a traffic management plan for blizzard Sundays (hopefully there are some of those in our future)--an alternative to dumping a lot of cars heading for Sacramento and the Bay Area when 89 and Truckee are gridlocked. Something like holding people where there is food, shelter, and bathrooms, rather than turning 89 and Truckee into a parking lot. Right now the traffic and transit plan, at least what I could find of it in the updated proposal, are completely vague. Seems like traffic issues might be the best way to deal with the proposal. As it is the degree of gridlock on blizzard Sunday afternoons presents a public safety hazard as emergency vehicles can't travel. Whether the development proposal is considered by Placer County or the Town of Olympic Valley, building should be contingent on KSL subsidizing mass transit--with signed agreements with TART, identifying specific park and ride lots with signed agreements with the landowners for their use, and specific plans for affordable housing, either in OV, or if outside of it with signed purchase agreements for the land, with affordable housing to be built in Phase I with no approval for later phases if the affordable housing isn't built.

Is there a lot of vacant housing up there? Then I guess it is affordable already

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Is there a lot of vacant housing up there? Then I guess it is affordable already
    Lots of houses and condos that sit empty 50 weeks a year. Squatting?

We are going to need lots of new signage reminding all the Brits to drive on the right side of the road.
    Oh, sorry, I forgot they will all be taking public transportation from RNO. Andy Wirth is a complete egotistical jerk who knows nothing about how to run a proper world class ski area. It is sad, but true Squaw has the wrong person in charge and he has a sloppy team at best. Let the people vote! SVSH is scared of IOV no doubt, but what SVSH is probably doing to LAFCO board members behind the scene is even worse. Do what we want or we will sue has been the vibe they are giving out. Once again let the residents vote. Andy lives in a gated community in Truckee, right near Northstar. Northern California day skiers rule! When the weather/conditions are right the people come. That's why it was pretty busy around the lake on this past beautiful weekend. My business set November records for sales this week because tourists are in tune with the weather. If it's poo nobody comes. Now if Squaw had a real snowmaking system and or formerly known as Alpine Meadows was allowed to open their top to bottom skiing before mid Dec. we would all be in a happy place. Tahoe is not in Colorado or Utah, it's in N. California for crying out loud. K$L enough already please!

This topic makes me reflect on how it's funny how every ski town is the same. Some times I'm amazed by the lack of thought by parties that find themselves in roles of leadership.

Leadership by proxy is something democracies are proud of.
    Leadership, bolstered by propaganda, supposed or otherwise, that is purchased and obtained by coercion has other names.

Welcome to Nazi Squaw! Your papers, please!
    I guess Alex Cushing's war cry of "Ski Heil" will come back in fashion soon.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Leadership by proxy is something democracies are proud of.
    Leadership, bolstered by propaganda, supposed or otherwise, that is purchased and obtained by coercion has other names.

Welcome to Nazi Squaw! Your papers, please!
    I guess Alex Cushing's war cry of "Ski Heil" will come back in fashion soon.
    I'm starting to miss the old bastard.

Squaw is all about the terrain not the people, cmon

good stuff from TJ. Now if it would only snow on you guys.

TJ Burke November 9, 2014 Reply
    News flash people! It’s all a bunch of shit. As soon as Intrawest was contracted to build that largely empty eyesore the turds were in the bowl and it started swirling. Andy(NET)Wirth cares about one thing, his net worth.This isn’t the 70’s, 80’s or even the 90’s! Hotdog is dead and gone and so is any vestige of cool. Hell you can barely even find a place that smells like 30 years of wet ski boots, wax and PTex. Or poach!!! They don’t want locals, or even serious skiers, they want your money or you to make them money. They cater to the foo-foo rich assholes who don’t even want to believe there ever was a thing as a ski-bum and half of them don’t even ski. Their skis are used as much as as their second home or timeshares, two weeks out of the year. Might as well just roll over and be quiet, you can’t fight money and most of you when faced with the truth wouldn’t want to. Alpine’s dying, Homewoods dying, the only thing left to do is grab your AT setup and head to the hills before a new lift gets slapped on them by some corporate entity doing shady deals with the Forest Circus or the B(s)LM. And then you can get a night job at one of the sweet soon-to-be nightclubs coming to Alpine! Win Win! Sorry but I have not bowed down to anybody’s dollar and hate the corporate ski industry with a passion. They are all a bunch of wealthy asshole’s who want to make a mint on their resort. I fully realize that they are only trying to maximize their profits as any good business wants to do ,but they have ruined my hopes and dreams. As a naive kid growing up in the Midwest in the 80’s I finally made it out west as soon as I could, and I got here to see the last few good years fizzle out before total corporate robot assimilation. I know it’s the same as it has always been but it sucks for the people who love their mountains and mountain towns. It sucks more than ever. If you want me I’ll be in the backcountry (don’t even get me started on the snowmobilers), or at the bar. Rant over.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    good stuff from TJ. Now if it would only snow on you guys.

TJ Burke November 9, 2014 Reply
    News flash people! It’s all a bunch of shit. As soon as Intrawest was contracted to build that largely empty eyesore the turds were in the bowl and it started swirling. Andy(NET)Wirth cares about one thing, his net worth.This isn’t the 70’s, 80’s or even the 90’s! Hotdog is dead and gone and so is any vestige of cool. Hell you can barely even find a place that smells like 30 years of wet ski boots, wax and PTex. Or poach!!! They don’t want locals, or even serious skiers, they want your money or you to make them money. They cater to the foo-foo rich assholes who don’t even want to believe there ever was a thing as a ski-bum and half of them don’t even ski. Their skis are used as much as as their second home or timeshares, two weeks out of the year. Might as well just roll over and be quiet, you can’t fight money and most of you when faced with the truth wouldn’t want to. Alpine’s dying, Homewoods dying, the only thing left to do is grab your AT setup and head to the hills before a new lift gets slapped on them by some corporate entity doing shady deals with the Forest Circus or the B(s)LM. And then you can get a night job at one of the sweet soon-to-be nightclubs coming to Alpine! Win Win! Sorry but I have not bowed down to anybody’s dollar and hate the corporate ski industry with a passion. They are all a bunch of wealthy asshole’s who want to make a mint on their resort. I fully realize that they are only trying to maximize their profits as any good business wants to do ,but they have ruined my hopes and dreams. As a naive kid growing up in the Midwest in the 80’s I finally made it out west as soon as I could, and I got here to see the last few good years fizzle out before total corporate robot assimilation. I know it’s the same as it has always been but it sucks for the people who love their mountains and mountain towns. It sucks more than ever. If you want me I’ll be in the backcountry (don’t even get me started on the snowmobilers), or at the bar. Rant over.
    Partly true. It's not exactly over for local skiers--if anything, in some ways things are better, in the form of cheap passes, which are cheaper now than they were 20 years ago in absolute dollars, let alone corrected for inflation. Yeah you have to put up with the rich you hate so much getting in your way on the hill, but when was it ever not like that. Certainly housing is a huge problem for those who aren't well off and getting a decent meal for a decent price anywhere near a resort--well good luck (but at least Donner Lake Kitchen is back). Robert Reich, not exactly an apologist for the 1%, wrote a book that basically says that corporations do what they're supposed to do--make money at the expense of everything else. It is not their job to do good things for the community. It is our job, through our elected officials and if necessary the courts to make them. Pass affordable housing laws that make developers build the stuff when they build their McMansions. Pass environmental laws and sue if necessary--proposed ski resorts in Coldstream Canyon, Independence Lake, and Mineral King were all blocked by the environmentalists (and Bill Hewlett, RIP). If Alex Cushing cuts trees without a permit report him and when he sues you, sue him back and make a few million (RIP Steve McKinney). But whining about it doesn't do any good. For starters, vote. Look how few people voted for Truckee Town Council last week. An environment friendly candidate lost by 36 votes.

I like how that rant implies that new ski resorts are being built like skittles get handed out on Halloween, except that hasn't been true since the 60's.
    Live Free or Die

Personally, I'd love to see a few more resorts built to knock down the competitive price of Sierra passes even more. And to lessen crowds at places like Squaw Valley. But squeezing into Olympic Valley a shitload of hotel rooms equivalent to the number of hotel rooms in South Lake Tahoe is not what will make the resort, it's what will ruin it.

If you are ever tempted to write in all caps - don't.

I'll try to keep that in mind.