La Sportiva Spectre Alpine Touring boot thread

The master thread is actually here http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ortiva-Spectra but because the boot name is mis-spelled it doesn't show up in a forum search. Posting this just so at least it shows up in a search

The review I posted on the TGR mainpage is broken so I reposted one with links -- http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...ring-boot-2013

Changes for this year is that apparently the new boot last is re-designed to have more space at the instep so as to not crush feet. I'll check in to see if that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Changes for this year is that apparently the new boot last is re-designed to have more space at the instep so as to not crush feet. I'll check in to see if that's the case
    Speaking of the 2014-2015 model, is there a way to tell it apart from the previous year's boot or do i have to rely on the degree of instep crushing to tell them apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Speaking of the 2014-2015 model, is there a way to tell it apart from the previous year's boot or do i have to rely on the degree of instep crushing to tell them apart?
    They actually looked the same. I'll check

Thanks!
    I tried the boots on yesterday and was pretty impressed with the feel/fit. I really want them to work but Xmas drained me of all my $$ and I might need to get a used pair. It sounds like the improvements on the 14/15 model are significant enough to look for the newer model but it's near impossible to figure out which generation you're looking at...
    I'm fresh of my 4th walk mode explosion on my Garmont Cosmos and even though Garmont/Scott seems to be the only brand making boots that work with my frankenfeet I think I need to make the switch...
    I should start a boot failure thread, Garmont has delivered and the pictures are always impressive!

Got a quick answer back

"Last year¹s boot with the lower instep volume is called the Spectre-LV and
    this year¹s is just the Spectre. It will say Spectre-LV on the box if it¹s
    last year's version."

The last Garmont boot I had was my old Megarides. Too bad as they were such good reliable boots

I am pretty sure there is absolutely no way to tell if you are just looking at the boot itself.

Thanks Lee, I'll ask...
    Garmont made awesome boots until they attempted to get into the light beefy stuff. I skied Radiums for 4 or 5 seasons with the supposedly heinous stock liner and loved them. I never had anything break or come loose on the boot. Sure they were a bit heavy but they skied like alpine boots and climbed OK.
    I landed a small drop in the backseat on my Cosmos on their 2nd day out and broke both walk mode (bent the climbing bar to failure). After a full season all the buckles are loose and flopping around, constantly getting caught on stuff. I killed another climbing bar last week, resulting in the boot going from ski mode to what felt like tele mode (rear support was unaffected). I pulled the bar which now has a groove running through it from parts rubbing on each other... Seems like a major design flaw. I want to find a machine shop guy who can duplicate those aluminum POS bars in beefy steel.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Got a quick answer back

"Last year¹s boot with the lower instep volume is called the Spectre-LV and
    this year¹s is just the Spectre. It will say Spectre-LV on the box if it¹s
    last year's version."
    I saw on LaSportiva's website yesterday a reference to being able to choose LV or std if you buy online. Do you know if this means they're producing both, or is the newer "std" version what will be produced for the future? Is LV just an option while they purge the inventory of original Spectre shell volume?

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I saw on LaSportiva's website yesterday a reference to being able to choose LV or std if you buy online. Do you know if this means they're producing both, or is the newer "std" version what will be produced for the future? Is LV just an option while they purge the inventory of original Spectre shell volume?
    This is what Lasportiva sez:

LV is the original run of boots and once it¹s gone, it¹s done.
    The new molds will be what continues into the future.

Unfortunately, for someone holding the boots in their hand without the
    box, there¹s no good way to tell which boot it is without trying it on to
    discern fit.

Bueno thanks

Thinking of going to try these on along with Maestrale RS's tonight.

Just wondering because it seems like most people who say the Spectre is too soft have been trying it on carpet, whereas people who've gotten it on snow say that it skis a lot stiffer than you'd think. Have any of the carpet-doubters been converted once they got it on snow? Or did they find that it definitely lived down to their expectations?

I'll keep my Cochises as an in-bounds boot, and am looking to buy a touring boot. I'd like to stay in the stiffer range (Spectre, Maestrale RS, etc) but I don't need them to stand up next to Nordica Doberman Aggressors. I've always skied softer boots around 110 flex, and while I might like more stiffness inbounds, in the BC I'm not sure it's necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    Thinking of going to try these on along with Maestrale RS's tonight.

Just wondering because it seems like most people who say the Spectre is too soft have been trying it on carpet, whereas people who've gotten it on snow say that it skis a lot stiffer than you'd think. Have any of the carpet-doubters been converted once they got it on snow? Or did they find that it definitely lived down to their expectations?

I'll keep my Cochises as an in-bounds boot, and am looking to buy a touring boot. I'd like to stay in the stiffer range (Spectre, Maestrale RS, etc) but I don't need them to stand up next to Nordica Doberman Aggressors. I've always skied softer boots around 110 flex, and while I might like more stiffness inbounds, in the BC I'm not sure it's necessary.

Thanks
    Lived Down.

Context: 100% BC on dynafits in BC coast and interior. I'm not a hard charger, cliff dropper by any stretch.

Skied Spectre last year and too soft (coming from dynafit zzeus), but fit my foot great....really wanted them to work, but no. Also rubber hinge on tongue blew out after 4x out. Wish they had a stiffer tongue option. I tried some from old Scarpas to stiff up, but didn't fly. This year on Maestrale RS: Much, much better (stiffer).

I picked up a pair and have 2 days on them, better fit for my skinny-ish low volume low instep foot than Dynafit Titan or Zzero4 I've used previously. Laterally as quick as Titan, forward flex softer than Titan but more fluid/useful IMO. Uphill is madness, they have so much range, had to completely unbuckle Titan to get this much range, and that left me with rubbing/blisters. Don't even have to unbuckle to get good range, unbuckled range is insane and no foot movement/rub/blisters. Right boot's walk/ski mechanism slightly dry and noisy but white lithium grease dab fixed that. Adequate to drive Cham 107HM. I'm a pinner 145 lbs.

I have a tiny bit of pressure at 5th met base both feet. Haven't molded liners yet, expect it will disappear then.

This is going to make me sound particularly stupid but has anyone figured out the lacing system on the liners? I know most people hate laces but it's the only way for my heel to stay put... I took the boots out for the first time this morning, thinking I'd take 30 seconds to throw on the laces. It's a good thing I wasnt driving because I had barely managed to rig something after going from SLC to the top of BCC... Offset eyelets, no way to double up, weird velcro thing, wtf? Please, teach me how to tie my shoe laces.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Put velcro tab on liner boot's velcro patch.
    Wind once around whole liner's upper (just below velcro patch)
    Thread down through zig-zag of retainers
    Knot at bottom (just atop toes) for anchor

You will have to adjust location of knot so knot loosely once, insert sock+foot in liner and then pull/wrap the lace to see if the velcro matches.