Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    The tire shop said they can get the Hakka 9 studded for $16 more per tire. Argh. decisions
    Do it! You won't be disappointed. Much better than the generic studded I ran in the past -- less road noise, etc. I was seriously biased toward the R2 before I did the research last year and bought the Hakka 8.

As I said in the other thread: a Nokian spokesman has said the only real reason to buy the R2 is if you aren't legally allowed to use studs (or I suppose if you hate road noise or want the best possible gas mileage). Also, the Hakka 8/9 doesn't have to use as soft of rubber as the studdless R2, so the tires are supposed to last longer, as well.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ... For people who don't want to read the other thread, here's a study that's interesting: http://www.brunowessel.com/content/p...d_r_review.pdf

I found it interesting because the Hakka 8 outperformed (or was as good as) the R2 on ice, snow, wet, and dry pavement. And the new Hakka 9s are supposed to be quite a bit better than the Hakka 8 -- they use a different stud on the outer area of the tire that's more optimized for lateral grip and have more siping for snow. They also beveled the shoulder of the stud so it can penetrate deeper into ice. If anyone knows of a newer study, I'd love to see it.
    Thanks for forwarding. Another interesting takeaway from that review is how well the Gislaved NORD*FROST 100 studded tires fared. I suppose this shouldn't surprise me, give how much love the General Arctic Altimax tires did (studless - made by Gislaved).

Are folks generally downsizing by one width for snows? I know the theory, but I've never tried it (i.e. 225/55 --> 215/60 for a Subaru Outback).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-14-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Some guy at a tire shop was telling me that Mastercraft Glacier grip studded tires were better than hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires because the haka pilitas are directional, so if you have to back out up a hill Etc the hakkapelitta 8 won't work as well? Any truth to that

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Some guy at a tire shop was telling me that Mastercraft Glacier grip studded tires were better than hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires because the haka pilitas are directional, so if you have to back out up a hill Etc the hakkapelitta 8 won't work as well? Any truth to that
    Smells of bullshit.

The directional tread must mean better forward traction... I don't know how far you reverse in a year compared to forwards.

He probably doesn't wear a seat belt because of the risk of drowning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I think he was referring to if you were stuck in a driveway and had to back out , the snow would pack into the directional tire that is made to go forwards and not work as well. I have a vacation rental cleaning company in Tahoe and have to back out of a lot of steep driveways.

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Directional has more to do with high speed handling in wet and slush, I’d guess. It clears the shit out of the way, aids stability and tracking. Less to do with you backing out of your driveway.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Directional has more to do with high speed handling in wet and slush, I’d guess. It clears the shit out of the way, aids stability and tracking. Less to do with you backing out of your driveway.
    Put the directional tires on facing the wrong way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Just reshoed my subi with studdable generals. Their second winter. Second set for that car. I've been happy with them. They were cheaper compared to any other option at the time. What's the cost diff between them and the nokian hakkaloogi 9's and blizzaks? Also have blizzaks for our van and cooper atw for the land cruiser. I've been happy with all of them. But i do not like how the blizzaks have a different harder compound lower in the tread.

I can understand the objective, but hair splitting, differences between a hakkaloogi 8 and hakkaloogi 9, but i am also skeptical about the need for generating new sku's.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

studless snow tire life expectancy ?

^^^.. I downsized width on my last set of AT tires but didn’t notice the difference with better traction on snow/ice. You would think on dedicated snows you’d get worse wear with a smaller footprint.

^ after reaching mid level get off my lawn status, 30k miles on ‘good price’ possibly competent tires is not as appealing as hair splitting and minutiae to spend a few more bitcoin on possibly competent dentist tires

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    What's the cost diff between them and the nokian hakkaloogi 9's and blizzaks?
    Depends on the size. Quick eBay search (easiest way to price Nokains, IME) says it's about $35 per tire in the 245/65R17 size. In my 225/65R17 Outback size, the Hakka 8s honestly weren't all that much more. If I were buying for a large pickup or van, then maybe it'd be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I can understand the objective, but hair splitting, differences between a hakkaloogi 8 and hakkaloogi 9, but i am also skeptical about the need for generating new sku's.
    Fair, but it's like any other thing in tech talk. Nokian came out with a new model -- at least it's no more expensive. Certainly wouldn't upgrade from the Hakka 8 to the Hakka 9 just for the new tech.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

studless snow tire life expectancy ?

Thanks. Personally, I find it all pretty fascinating. I've used blizzaks and wr2's on that same subi. Wr2's were relatively worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    how so

44k and theyre not shot? bullshit, they're been heat-cycled and dryrotted well beyond their life expectancy. The same guy who doesnt spend the $ on car insurance also doesnt see the benefit of a spare set of wheels.
    That last part of you post is very douchey. Maine requires at least liability car insurance if you must know. I am happily insured.

Ok back on topic. Yes 44k and yes they just passed inspection.

Good Year Ultragip Winter. Look them up. They ride great in all conditions and wear long. Not too expensive. Run them year round with no switching or the extra clutter of another set of wheels in the garage. Here I took a pic for you this morning. You and Brit can mull over it for awhile.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	547.6 KB 
ID:	216219