Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I noticed that it takes longer for my heart rate to go up, but how does it feel when the leg arteries take a long time to open?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    I'm a little late with the answer--but when your leg arteries haven't opened up your legs hurt--the classic burn. Even when I was young the first run of the day was the hardest on my legs. I never did any endurance sports in school; I was surprised by how much time my swimmer son and my XC son spent warming up before a race. It doesn't matter how much working out you do and how great a shape you're in; until your heart starts pumping and your leg arteries open up you're going to feel out of shape. Fortunately, for lift skiing one run is usually enough to get the blood flowing and you get caught up on your oxygen debt on the second lift ride up. If you're skinning it pays to start slow, especially as you get older.

Rob Shaul's leg blasters regimen is awesome. You can certainly mix it up too.

Right now, I'm substituting the 10 air squats with 10 Wall Balls with a 12 lb. ball. Also, I've appended some ring rows and crunches to the end of the mini leg blasters. Still working up to 5 full blasters, but there is more than enough time to get there before winter.

Two years ago, I was fit with the leg blasters and I hit the slopes in great shape. Last year, life got in the way, and I was a slug up until March. This year, going back to the fit and ready start. It pays HUGE dividends to start out strong. It makes the whole season more fruitful for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hifno View Post
    Reviving this thread because I was trying to think of ways to eccentrically train my legs without the impact of plyometrics. One thought I had would be to do one legged pistol squats (maybe weighted) lowering down, and then raising back up with both legs. Also might have the benefit of working single leg stability as well?
    Pistols are part of my eternal rehab, but I don't think they have any special benefit for skiing. I like downhill running, weighted box steps (controlled on the way down) and the old leg blaster to get ready for ski season.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hifno View Post
    Reviving this thread because I was trying to think of ways to eccentrically train my legs without the impact of plyometrics. One thought I had would be to do one legged pistol squats (maybe weighted) lowering down, and then raising back up with both legs. Also might have the benefit of working single leg stability as well?
    Downhill jogging/trotting/running with interval pauses with alternating eccentric down then up flexion of opposing legs? Great balance/strength exercise. I'll post a vid if it doesn't make sense. Seems to add a bit of quality to the downhill of the uphill workout. Just added that to my routine this year, results are positive.
    Master of mediocrity.

Try inline skating

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Been doing leg blasters again for the past three weeks.

My last day of skiing this year was August 2nd at Beartooth Pass, and one of my knees went downhill fast during the month off. I was worried about having to dial it back this year, but after the second week of running stairs and doing leg blasters, I was back in the saddle again. Four weeks into it, and I'm up to four full leg blasters a session, with energy to spare, and carrying my six year old up the last 140 step ascent when running stairs.

I feel like Rocky.

"knowledgeable in escapades of the flesh"