Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Haha I've been doing competitive crossfit for a while, but kinda tapered off the last few years. Right now I'm doing 5/3/1 Big but boring which is basically focusing on building a ton of strength. I'll throw in a metcon or something to keep the engine burning after that. 4 days a week there, then 1 day of crossfit in class. I'll do leg blasters at the end of CF and on one of the other off days.

/\/\/\ Damn!

I'm up to four sets of minis; jumping lunges suck.

I'm doing stump-jumpers on off days:
    I kept the ten largest rounds (~16" tall and wide) from splitting wood and have them set up in a 30' row.
    Jump and down in a diagonal pattern.

Mostly works the core.
    Good for balance, plus it's fun.

Scene in my college gym--

"What are you working out for?"
    "Climbing. You?"
    "Shot put. How about you Tom?"
    "The beach."

I had a workout yesterday that I should've been super good at. 3 rounds for time, 15 thrusters @ 95lbs and then 12cals on assault/echo bike. Came in at like 5:15. Bottom portion of the quad was burning and giving out. Need to do some front squats!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    I had a workout yesterday that I should've been super good at. 3 rounds for time, 15 thrusters @ 95lbs and then 12cals on assault/echo bike. Came in at like 5:15. Bottom portion of the quad was burning and giving out. Need to do some front squats!
    Nice. I did a 4:40 Fran and a 19-minute Murph once. Haven't done a Crossfit workout in years though. Definitely lost interest when it evolved into its own sport.

19 min murph?! Fuck me. I don't think I've ever done it under 35mins lol.

Derp, that's obviously ridiculous now that I think about it more. It was 29 minutes, and this was 10+ years ago before a 20-lb weight vest was the norm.

Never thought too hard about the technicalities, but as part of my training regimine for skiing, I hold a 35lb plate against my chest and do walking lunges.

Eccentric exercise? Idk, but it's certainly noticeable on the mountain.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by larilinesign View Post
    Never thought too hard about the technicalities, but as part of my training regimine for skiing, I hold a 35lb plate against my chest and do walking lunges.

Eccentric exercise? Idk, but it's certainly noticeable on the mountain.
    That's a pretty good eccentric exercise as you're loading up your patella tendon and quads (much like leg blasters). Another good one for this is dumbells in your hands by your sides.

I've been throwing in bulgarian split squats to change things up lately, and right now I'm walking like someone made my quads out of granite.

How much weight are you using for Bulgarian splits?

I tried yesterday using 2 14kg dumbels, and the balance was challenging. First time ever, so maybe this will get better

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    That's a pretty good eccentric exercise as you're loading up your patella tendon and quads (much like leg blasters). Another good one for this is dumbells in your hands by your sides.

I've been throwing in bulgarian split squats to change things up lately, and right now I'm walking like someone made my quads out of granite.
    Yeah those are great. I'll do them with my dumbell routine alternating when my arms are tired from flys and curls and going into Bulgarians, weighted lunges, and iron crosses.

It's a pretty girly dumbell routine, but very limbering and realistic for skiing vs doing a bunch of the Olympic lifts

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How much weight are you using for Bulgarian splits?

I tried yesterday using 2 14kg dumbels, and the balance was challenging. First time ever, so maybe this will get better
    Same weight here. Balance is super challenging primarily because you're engaging all the tiny tendons that you dont normally use. It's a good one. Just remember to put your weight on the foot/leg/knee and not the tripod leg!

Squat university is basically the SME on this.

Not ready for ski season unless you can do 10 sets of full leg blasters wearing ski boots and a Dakine Poacher vest in the back of an adventure van while someone is driving up the hill to the local resort at top speed.

4 full leg blasters today, w 20 days to go before the lifts spin. The goal is 10 full by Thanksgiving.

Leg blasters are a classic move. Steep and technical downhill trail running seems to be beneficial as well.

In recent years I've felt that I get most bang for my time with balance, coordination, core and max strength moves. The (eccentric) stamina then just comes from skiing a lot of icy resorts in the early season.

I did quite a bit of single leg balance stuff before this ongoing season to develop the feet and the ankles and it seemed to help a lot with early season technique and therefore with stamina for skiing. More finesse, less brute force.

Think of static single leg squat holds (in different depths) on the ball of your foot with some extra weight. Of course some single leg jumping from a shrimp squat, and lateral bounding.

Currently I live in a small village with no access to a barbell set, so max strength is a bit challenging. Anyone with the same problem? Heavier kettlebells maybe?