Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Link?
    http://www.amazon.com/Training-New-A...ds=steve+house
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Just started these again for this season. They still hurt like hell.

Same here. I've been squatting and running, along with some box jumps, but these got me.

One thing I'm hoping helps this year is that I switched to front squats, which I feel are allowing me to better work my abs and lower back. That's where things break down for me early in the ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Just started these again for this season. They still hurt like hell.

If you want to work your lower back, deadlifts, abs, crunches or planks.

Squats are for legs.

Unless "Leg Blasters" is a euphemism for furious masturbation, I don't see this kind of workout really helping.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Air Blasters look like an excellent way to mess up your knees. Kettle bell swings make alot of sense.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Unless "Leg Blasters" is a euphemism for furious masturbation, I don't see this kind of workout really helping.
    If you expect these alone to get you in shape after sitting on the couch all fall you'll be disappointed. But for me adding them to my normal routine 1 month before ski season works. The last 2 years I've done em, I've had a much better early season.

Can't see how these would be any worse for your knees than any other leg exercise.

I think I have this join a gym thing for free. Get big quads!!!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I have somehow developed pain and numbness in my left trap near the spine whenever I do even a mildly strenuous back squat, but front squats force me to keep the curve in my thoracic spine (and I use much lighter weights), solving the problem. Granted, my legs get almost no workout because I am literally using half the weight, but with all the core stuff thrown in there it still gets the nervous system going. Long live front squats!
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Dude, grow up and use a leg press, safe and you can build your legs.

1) refuse to grow up, even if my aging body has other plans
    2) leg press? Seriously? Only if I can do leg curls and hip abduction machine first. While wearing pink spandex (ok sorry it's a deflection-I canceled my gym membership due to kids and instead I have a squat rack in the back yard).
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

The leg press is nice for those of us whose backs can't tolerate squats with weights.
    As an old fart I thought I was starting slow--5 sets of minis the first day. Hurt for 3 days, could barely get out of a chair the first day. But since then no problem and I'm starting to go to full blasters. It's funny how when you first start a particular exercise you improve rapidly but only up to a point and then improvement comes very hard. Maybe someone can explain.

Eccentric Leg Strengthening for Skiing

Careful, I've jacked my back up from the leg press now more than when I still did squats.

Eccentric Leg Strengthening for Skiing

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's funny how when you first start a particular exercise you improve rapidly but only up to a point and then improvement comes very hard. Maybe someone can explain.
    Neuromuscular adaptation...
    Last edited by bourbonisgood; 11-14-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    I have somehow developed pain and numbness in my left trap near the spine whenever I do even a mildly strenuous back squat, but front squats force me to keep the curve in my thoracic spine (and I use much lighter weights), solving the problem. Granted, my legs get almost no workout because I am literally using half the weight, but with all the core stuff thrown in there it still gets the nervous system going. Long live front squats!
    High bar or low bar back squat? I used to get numbness when all I knew was the high bar back squat, but it's totally fine with low bar. Just a thought.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    If you want to work your lower back, deadlifts, abs, crunches or planks.

Squats are for legs.
    So what keeps your torso upright and the weight in alignment?

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    So what keeps your torso upright and the weight in alignment?
    You're right, I just think there are better exercises for core and back.

I getcha. My point was that I felt front squats were helping me more with that stuff than back squats. They're not a replacement for deadlifts or anything.

You're right, I just think there are better exercises for core and back.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Careful, I've jacked my back up from the leg press now more than when I still did squats.
    I'm cautious with the leg press "weight" --no more than 250, no back pain. I used to do a lot more and could still but don't want to take a chance. As far as doing squats with weight, I can get pain carrying as little as 20 pounds, especially if it's in front of me, so those are out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm cautious with the leg press "weight" --no more than 250, no back pain. I used to do a lot more and could still but don't want to take a chance. As far as doing squats with weight, I can get pain carrying as little as 20 pounds, especially if it's in front of me, so those are out of the question.
    I never have back pain when leg pressing, and I press twelve plates, but then I do 300 various crunches every other day. If I slack off, I do get some back pain, not sure if it's doing leg press, but for sure other stuff.

Not implying that's what's ailing you, just my experience.

Just tried those leg blasters for the first time last night. However, I modified it slightly to add a bit of a jump squat. Don't see much benefit in doing deep squats like that video posted ealier. Did 3 sets of 10. Will up the number of sets next go around. Just wanted to get a feel for them first.

I have been doing something similar to these leg blasters for years now but using dumbell weights. Do forward lunges. 3-4 sets of 8-16 reps. Sometimes go heavier with the weights. Then do reverse lunges or sometimes one legged Roman squats, or goblet squats with a kettle bell. Then do bench step ups, or jump squats onto a bench. But it always involved a 30 second to one minute break between the lunges and moving to the other exercises.

I will usually add a bit of a cardio and hop on a bike trainer and then do some sort of interval training. Can't really run anymore do to hip and knee issues. It's all about preservation of my joints and ligaments these days.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I never have back pain when leg pressing, and I press twelve plates, but then I do 300 various crunches every other day. If I slack off, I do get some back pain, not sure if it's doing leg press, but for sure other stuff.

Not implying that's what's ailing you, just my experience.
    what's ailing me is spinal stenosis.

Sounds nasty, is it contagious?

It is nasty and it's contagious to skiers in particular, especially bump humpers.

Being genetically predisposed helps too.

Very hard to keep the area fluid. Takes a lot of core work and plays havoc with your balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    It is nasty and it's contagious to skiers in particular, especially bump humpers.

Being genetically predisposed helps too.

Very hard to keep the area fluid. Takes a lot of core work and plays havoc with your balance.
    Not fun in firm bumps, chicken heads, etc--that's for sure. As far as genetics, who knows?--I'm the first male on my father's side of the family for four generations to get this old.
    Last edited by old goat; 11-29-2016 at 11:40 PM.