Whistler Mag Help Needed

For the past 20 years, me and a group of buddies have take a week long ski trip to whistler in March. To celebrate our 20th year (man I feel old just saying that again), we were thinking of doing something special like a Cat/Heli day during this years trip. I have done the google/search thing and found Blackcomb Powder Cats and Powder Mountain Catskiing, but are there other operations that mag have used/recommend that I should be looking at? We're your average advanced skiers who are looking for a decent deal (e.g. not dentists and doctors). We'll be bringing a full crew of 10 guys to fill any cat. Thanks for the help.

I went to Powder Mountain once…. got sucked (suckered) into going back to Whistler for GF's Birthday a few years back, went up with them new years day. Nice operation, good guys, except it RAINED up high. I need me some altitude. If that place was 10-12,000' high it would rule the world.

Powder Mountain is thebest close by to WB.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I hit Backcountry Snowcats a couple of years ago with a buddy; about an hour north of WB, Had a blast. We were the only ones there. c .20k/vert day. You pretty much have to do two days+ due to the time it takes to get to and from the op (snowmobiles). Lodging in basic modular homes stitched together. Nothing fancy. Delish food. Their webiste is down--not sure if they went kaput. Would def. do again:

http://www.catskiing.ca/canadian-ope...untry-snowcats

I did a day heli skiing with Powder Mountain and had a good experience.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Um, call Ray at Totally Awesome Adventures and get a couple of sleds out for some skiing: http://www.totallyawesomeadventures.com/. Website doesn't mention sled skiing (or didn't last I looked), but if you talk to him, he'll hook you up. You can cat ski anywhere, can only sled ski the Pemby Icefield with one outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Um, call Ray at Totally Awesome Adventures and get a couple of sleds out for some skiing: http://www.totallyawesomeadventures.com/. Website doesn't mention sled skiing (or didn't last I looked), but if you talk to him, he'll hook you up. You can cat ski anywhere, can only sled ski the Pemby Icefield with one outfit.
    If none of us have used sleds before, are we going to spend more time figuring out the sleds or skiing? That is my main worry with that option, though it would be awesome.

I'd give him a call and see what he thinks for that time of year and size of group. He's super approachable and will know better than I can answer about what he can do for you (it will probably depend a lot on weather and snow conditions). I'm sure you're not the first group that wants to ski w/o prior sled experience (and don't underestimate the fun of sledding, unlike a cat, getting up will be as much fun as getting down).

Having never sledded and especially never sledded in deep snow can make that day a lot less fun though. My guess would be that you'd spend a lot of time digging out your stuck sled and being too exhausted to ski...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacolac View Post
    Having never sledded and especially never sledded in deep snow can make that day a lot less fun though. My guess would be that you'd spend a lot of time digging out your stuck sled and being too exhausted to ski...
    That's what I was thinking. I'm checking to see who has been sledding to see if it will too much for them.

Someone with good athletic ability will need more than a few days just fucking around with a sled before really jumping into sled skiing.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

And if they've sledded in deep pow. If you go up the Pemberton Icecap in deep pow - what a workout it would be for digging

backcountry snowcats up on hurley pass. sweet variation from the wb snowpack.

All tips above me are spot on, plus some.

I thought you just accelerate and point it where to go!

Just talked to a few of the local guys. Sleds are likely out but we may look to mix in a day of touring if the resort is slammed and the backcountry conditions warrant it. I'll check in on the main Whistler thread as it gets closer for beta on snow pack and conditions. With the footage from the alpine last week it is easy to forget how bare it is down lower and how badly we need some storms rolling through.