Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    I wouldn't jump at Lodi if they paid me. Place is a safety hazard.

How big was their last fine? Multi million?
    Can't find the thread where someone on here jumped my shit for making these comments.

Anyway, looks like Lodi just had a plane crash. Looks like a high quality operation.

https://www.tetongravity.com/video/ne...1392-273052693

As long as no cows were anally raped....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

You're DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE!!! I've done it. Didn't die. But ur definitely going to die. Do it anyway.

I have done three tandem jumps, I only had to do two more and I was going to go on my own. I didn't continue because I was running out of money and I needed a new bike.

It's awesome, the scariest part for as others have said was driving to the drop zone that morning and then the flight up, watching the door open and then climbing out onto the wing. Once you let go it's not really scary but it is a ton of fun. The first part of the jump right before the actual free fall I thought was really rad, you are arching out and away from the planes trajectory, they had a name for it but I can't remember what it's called. My instructor threw us into a huge gainer, it was a trip watching the plane fly away from us.

On my first jump right when we hit the ground I was automatically reaching for my debit card to do another.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I jumped twice, both tandem.
    For some reason, I never got nervous or scared while we were going up.
    After we jumped, I had the most peaceful, serene moment I only experienced handful of times before.
    I would jump any chance I get and I highly recommend unless you have serious fear of height.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I jumped twice, both tandem.
    For some reason, I never got nervous or scared while we were going up.
    After we jumped, I had the most peaceful, serene moment I only experienced handful of times before.
    I would jump any chance I get and I highly recommend unless you have serious fear of height.

Can confirm. The coolest part for me was after the chute was pulled and you were just floating down and were able to see for miles and miles

I've only done it once and I was in Chelan, WA BTW

Holy thread resurrection.

Try sky diving, or paragliding in Australia some time.

https://mashable.com/video/paraglide.../#LvKGv4wK7gq0
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

back in the day saturday night at the bar, a guy at the table i had just met tells me he got some pills from that guy in the black hat at the bar, he said they were so we could stay up all night so we could drive to Vancouver to sky dive and if you wana come along the jump school takes visa, when buddy explained it to me after half a doz beers it seemed to make sense

As it turned out the caps were OK but the Tabs severely fucked up everbody who took them so some didn't make it. The one guy i knew ended up puking in a grey hound bus station at 3 am, the guy I didnt know was 300lbs and the tabs didnt make him sick but he looked pretty bad and he kept quoting from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Fortunatley I chose the caps so i was merely up all night, sunday morning coming down except we are going up in a light plane, buddy the pilot sez "get ready" as he reaches across to open the door but I'm not ready but I would jump anyway

I did 7 jumps but never made it to freefall and I was never really ready to jump out of a perfectly serviceable airplane
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Jumped once with some work buddies in Creston in the early ‘90’s. The pilot chute thrown after me by the instructor. I think there was about an hour of instruction before putting on the chute and getting in the plane.
    The most memorable part of the experience was letting go of the wing strut, arching my back, and looking up at the plane shooting up into the heavens; no sensation of falling whatsoever.
    After that, the chute opened properly and I just enjoyed the scenery of the valley and the quiet. Wind was dead calm so the landing was a little rough, but otherwise it was a fun trip. Would do again.

I used to work about 5 minutes from Skydive Utah and would go jump a few times a week on my lunch breaks. I ended up getting my class B license and had around 110 jumps before life got in the way. It’s probably been 10 years or so since I’ve jumped and I miss it. When the kids are older I plan on getting back into it for sure. If you have the time and money I’d definitely suggest going through a free fall program so you can jump on your own. Nothing quite like it.

I plan on getting back into it. Having done a bunch of tandems and static line jumps, it's not a big stretch to getting certified and buying gear.
    My obsession with kitesurfing pulled me away from it and I didn't really know anyone that could coach me through it.
    It's way cheaper than getting a private pilots license and way more fun.
    According to the USPA, a skydiver must:

Complete a minimum of 25 jumps.
    Complete all requirements laid out by the USPA A License Proficiency Card.
    Make five skydives with one or more other people.
    Have their skydiving license stamped by the USPA.
    Pass the USPA written and oral exams.

and when I get bored of skydiving...

Last edited by willywhit; 03-13-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

being 8hrs from a skydiving facility made the sport hard to get into and stick with

I got some buddies up here who are into paragliding which seems like a pretty reasonable way to fly

once you got the wing and the skills you aren't paying for a airplane ride up and a good flight can last for hours

the buds go on vaca's to europe/mexico/ peru with their wings
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post

and when I get bored of skydiving...
    Christ - know about the sport/risk, but hadn’t seen this piece. Made my palms and feet sweat watching.

You should try it once in a lifetime and you will love the experience.

Absolutely do it. I’d recommend doing it at a time in life that feels “right”. Only you can know when this is.

I had wanted to do it for a while, was about to move. Went on my birthday.

Try to go from as high as possible. Once you’re up there, it goes by so fast. I went from 18,000 ft.

I HATE heights, can’t do a baby ropes course. But, for some reason, wasn’t nervous at all to step out of plane. I even asked my instructor to do a flip out as we ascended to spice it up.

Once we were out, I was shit scared. Felt out of control, turns out we sort of were bc instructor was smaller than me. But after one minute of falling, I realized I probably wouldn’t feel it if we had a chute failure. I calmed down, and enjoyed. Try to accept that you have little control, and let life do its thing.

Lots of parallels to scary firsts on skis. The fucking best feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cupulate View Post
    You should try it once in a lifetime and you will love the experience.
    That can be interpreted a couple of different ways.

Re: Lodi--since the last post about them there have been several more deaths including a tandem with an uncertified instructor and the recent death where a woman hit a semi on the freeway. My son jumps there and says the general standard is poor--many people who jump there have poor canopy control skills. He took a canopy control course there and said the instructor passed everyone, even though most of the class had poor skills. He sometimes jumps with AF pararescue jumpers so I assume he has the knowledge to judge.