Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking About Skydiving for the First Time

Thinking about skydiving for the first time with a friend. Little scared and nervous but at the same time I want to do it. Should I pull up my britches and go for it or keep thinking about it?

You will not regret it, even if you die, 'cause you'll be dead, and won't know it.

I did it 22 years ago, and it's still fresh in my mind. Amazing.

Do it. I did it a few years back and it was a surreal experience. Like Flyoverland Captive said you will not regret it.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Did it 3 or so years ago. The freefall actually isnt the scariest part. Scariest thing for me was the anticipation on the climb up and when the door opens. Stepping out onto the wing was insane. After a split second in free fall it felt natural (?), only word to describe it. Just remember to try and breathe when you are screaming your lungs out in excitement on the freefall or you might pass out when the chute opens, almost happened to me.

Now I want to do it again!!

Edit: to say you won't regret it...unless you die of course.

My brother never got his video of when he jumped... because the plane crashed the next trip it took up that afternoon and the cameraman died. Don't really remember specifics of what he knows/saw/etc. He may not have even found out until a few days later?

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/artic...News/309089976
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Do it if you want, it's awesome. I have around 500 jumps out of planes and a bunch more out of other flying things or fixed objects but I stopped counting when I lost my logbook and got lazy. Hit me up if you have any questions. It changed my life in so many ways. Just be prepared to get hooked and spend A LOT of money on it. Like, way more than you ever thought you would.

awesome experience...quit thinking about it and go do it....you won't regret it

If you even think you want to do it, do it. I jumped out of planes for about 15 years 3 in the military and 12 as a civilian. Two things, try to remember to look around and enjoy the view, it goes by quick, secondly spend the extra money on the video. You will show that sucker every chance you get. Oh, and please don't eat Mexican food the night before your jump.

PM Ryan Dunfee

He's got a Maggot skydiving hookup.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yep do it. The only scary bit is being in the plane, once your out the door, things like worry and fear don't enter your mind.

After reading these responses I'm pretty amped up and want to go right now. But, I think I'll go this month.

Like everyone else said do it. every chance i get i jump, its well worth it

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    You're in NorCal? Grab $100 and head straight to Lodi. It will all be over in 30 minutes and you'll be grinning from ear to ear. Come to think of it, grab $200. As soon as you hit the ground you'll want to go back up again.

You are going to smile on the way down but keep your mouth closed or you will spend half the fall just wanting a drink of water. This I know to be true.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    You're in NorCal? Grab $100 and head straight to Lodi. It will all be over in 30 minutes and you'll be grinning from ear to ear. Come to think of it, grab $200. As soon as you hit the ground you'll want to go back up again.
    I wouldn't jump at Lodi if they paid me. Place is a safety hazard.

How big was their last fine? Multi million?

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danster View Post
    Thinking about skydiving for the first time with a friend. Little scared and nervous but at the same time I want to do it. Should I pull up my britches and go for it or keep thinking about it?
    Go for it.

But don't do a tandem touron jump. Invest the time and money into it to jump on your own. It's really a pretty incredible experience.

I felt better doing the tandem the first time. If the instructor had a hard-on, I wasn't paying attention.

Instructor's bumper sticker read, "I've a hard on for skydivers."
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Go for it.

But don't do a tandem touron jump. Invest the time and money into it to jump on your own. It's really a pretty incredible experience.
    Disagree. Do a tandem first. The Course is an entire day and more expensive and if you pass out you're on your own once your to fly home once your canopy comes out. Tandems still count towards your A license if you decide to continue. Much safer option IMO

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Disagree. Do a tandem first. The Course is an entire day and more expensive and if you pass out you're on your own once your to fly home once your canopy comes out. Tandems still count towards your A license if you decide to continue. Much safer option IMO
    Definitely safer.

For me there has been nothing in my life as intense as climbing out of the plane alone to do my first static line jump.

I have control issues so I never did a tandem. Did about 30 jumps and then called it good after I blew out my knees snowboarding.

I wouldn't jump at Lodi if they paid me. Place is a safety hazard.

How big was their last fine? Multi million?
    From what I understand, all of the accidents were solo divers, not one was a tandem.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    From what I understand, all of the accidents were solo divers, not one was a tandem.

They were fined by the FAA for major safety violations. Something about not maintaining their planes properly.

They were fined by the FAA for major safety violations. Something about not maintaining their planes properly.
    I could see that. They definitely seemed a bit cavalier about the whole thing. "Over there is the safety video... you can watch it, or not... it's up to you." "Just sign here and head out to the tarmac."

Definitely do it.

I decided to have a go this year, I didn't bother doing a tandem but went straight into the AFF course. I can't think of anything I've done that comes close in terms of the rush you get from throwing yourself out of a plane. Although to be honest if you listen and do what you're told it's pretty safe IMO.

It is an absolute money pit though, work out the cost, multiply it by 20 and you still won't be close to what some people spend!

I've done two static line jumps and had a lot of fun. The first time as I was crawling out on the plane getting ready to let go one of my hands slipped off the wing brace and I was hanging by one hand. On the second jump the put me in a smaller more maneuverable phrachute and I took full advantage of it.