2014/2015 VanIsle

The white stuff has started to fall. Turns are not far off. Time to tune in, get after it and share the stoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10712933_10152840441793033_6373049105578215136_n.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	159852
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Time for someone to bump SheRa's "change your transceiver batteries" thread...

Getting ready for the season.

Name:	20141106_183434.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	160041
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

2014/2015 VanIsle

Not mine..from snowforecast Washy reviews.

We hung on to the forecasts like children waiting to see if daddy was coming home.
    For many like doomsday from the north, he had never known his daddy, so he could barely even think of hanging on.
    Pre-season clouded a lot of local skiers judgement, some found themselves waking up after a night of heavy drinking not knowing who they even were. Time was dragging out, ambition and the will to keep going was fading.who were we? Are we still people of the mountains? Or have we resorted to becoming something less than a snow inspired being...... Things changed quickly, and just in time. Jack Daniels & Mr flap had almost sunk there teeth into our hearts, when three lost souls had a idea, the idea was to bring back the burn.
    Like the ullar parties in creek side of Whistler, BC. We gathered a few skis and a snowboard lying abandoned in my garage, I found a jug of old sled gas, almost rancid from last year. We invaded a neighbors back yard and used his fire pit, and then the burn began, demons of the offseason ablaze in the night, seared and torched into fumes shooting into the dark sky, this was only for a dream we held, a dream of winter making a return.
    When the smoke had settled and the fire pit looked stained with petex and blackened remnants of bindings and steel, it started snowing. It snowed for three days, doomsday from the north never had to worry about snow-making, he just needed a little faith. Maybe a knock on his door and a voice in a very distant whisper saying don't worry son, daddy is coming home.
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Got back late Sunday night from some great skiing in the interior/Rockies. Went out for a quick skin Monday morning around the nordic area of Mount Washington to see what was happening with the snow pack. It was cold and clear, absolutely beautiful with some knee-wrenching terrible snow. Not sure what elevation it ends at (I only made it to ~1230m elevation due to time constraints) but there were two distinct crusts of knife hardness (likely rain? dunno - haven't been around for a couple weeks) sandwiching ~6cm of facets. The top crust was approx 5cm down. Made for great, quick, skinning but I didn't even attempt to make any turns as I was alone and value my knees. Again, not sure what elevation these may be avoided at, but they aren't mentioned in the bulletin so thought I'd give everyone who hasn't been out a heads up.

Name:	GOPR0371.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	162010

Name:	GOPR0374.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	162011

Name:	GOPR0390.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	162012

Name:	GOPR0386.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	162013

Tried to get up to Washington today but the water pump on the Jeep decided it had done enough work on the highway, so got towed back to town and will try to get up again tomorrow. Anyone going to be up on the hill?

Cain opening tomorrow
    Reports are about a meter base but good snow...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Was going to head up there tomorrow and stay until the 2nd but, with the uncertainty over conditions, I wound up just inviting the parents over for New Years. Anyone able to report on the conditions, would be much appreciated as we're considering heading up there the evening of the first for a couple nights, if the snow is decent.

Went to Cain this past weekend. Saturday was a day of dust on impenetrable crust but West bowl provided some decent turns. Snow pounded down Saturday evening and the skiing was really good Sunday morning. Turned to wet goop on the lower half by noon, but skied well up high until then. Will see if I can pull some pics off the gopro but I was too busy skiing on Sunday to get any footage.

Hopefully this week doesn't absolutely kill the snowpack - a bunch of us have a cabin booked up there for the weekend of the 17th.

Washington was the definition of half-set Cascade cement this morning. Turning was... difficult to say the least. We called it a day around 1230 to go watch Green Bay give the game to the Seahawks. It was absolutely puking when we left. Could be a very good day there tomorrow if the temps hold.

Riding muddy trails on the North Island in January. It's wrong!