Question re: surfing beaches north of San Diego

I'm going to be in the SD area over Thanksgiving and I want to surf (done a little by Moonlight Beach/Encinitas and up by Carlsbad years ago. I suck but want to get out anyway. I seem to remember there was an on-beach rental place that had boards and wetsuits...does this sound right? Can anyone help me locate a place down there that has this? Thanks.

I took a lesson at Moonlight with these guys. http://www.kahunabob.com, former students can rent equipment. I'm sure there others.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'm pretty sure there are places you can do this in Oceanside, La Jolla and PB. No swell, Oceanside, medium swell, La Jolla, huge swell, PB.

Cardiff By The Sea. Iron Cross. They Rent. Google.

The post above is so dumb. Maybe she forgot about swell direction and your destination being north county. PB is a lame beach break that dirt bags from Santee ride rafts on with their fat ass friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Cardiff By The Sea. Iron Cross. They Rent. Google.

The post above is so dumb. Maybe she forgot about swell direction and your destination being north county. PB is a lame beach break that dirt bags from Santee ride rafts on with their fat ass friends.
    Don't be a dickhead, Rogneyyee. All my picks were north of SD, and they meet the requirement of having rentals. He says he sucks, but you're sending him to Cardiff?
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Question re: surfing beaches north of San Diego

La Jolla Shores has places that rent that stuff on the beach and is a good beginners break.
    Last edited by Ski to Be; 11-06-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

If you want slow mellow waves you can rent everything you want at the Rip Curl shop in south San Clemente and surf classic San Onofre without fear of being yelled at for sucking and it's minutes from the Rip Curl shop. Oceanside has some mellow waves near the pier but I don't recall a shop near by nor do I know of one.

Timely thread. I'll be kooking it up in the North County Sat-Wed. The wife and I are going high class and staying at the Econolodge in Encinitas. We'll have a car so hopefully I'll be able to check out a bunch of breaks. Any specific dork spots to check out? Specific places to avoid?

What about stuff to do? Restaurants, museums, mini-golf, live music etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Timely thread. I'll be kooking it up in the North County Sat-Wed. The wife and I are going high class and staying at the Econolodge in Encinitas. We'll have a car so hopefully I'll be able to check out a bunch of breaks. Any specific dork spots to check out? Specific places to avoid?

What about stuff to do? Restaurants, museums, mini-golf, live music etc.
    The municipal course in San Clemente is a great course for not a lot of money. Do not play Oceanside muni. Don't know of anything south of oside. I like the city of leucadia for hangin and such. Oh and Sonnys pizza in San Clemente is my favorite restaurant in the world. Pier bowl area is a cool spot too. Sorry I'm not as familiar with North SD. Enjoy. Plenty of good places to hear music in downtown SD.

In Encinitas you first will want to check out Swamiis. Pretty hard to miss. Point Break just south of the self realization fellowship temple. The Temple will look like a mini TajMahal (sic?) You may not want to surf there because of the crowds but you should at least look at it. Hansens baord shop is great to check out. Classic Old Big California surf shop.
    Check the movie schedule at the La Paloma Theater to see if they are showing any surf movies while you are here.
    As Splitbend said you would most likely enjoy Old Mans just south of Trestles. Its in San Celmente, about a 45 minute drive north, but a beautiful drive.
    As Split said you can surf some really nice point break waves without any hassles.
    You can also walk the trail down to trestles and see some world class point surfing at Lowers.
    Things I would check out- Scripps Birch Aquarium in La Jolla LaJolla cove and the surrounding area
    Rent a couple of bikes one afternoon and ride along coast highway either way
    Check out the California Surf Museum in Oceanside
    Balboa Park , downtown San Diego
    Coronado

San Diego county is split in two parts when it comes to surf. "North County"-Oceanside to Del Mar or Encinitas depending where you draw the line are more southern facing and pick up summer south swells.
    South County- From Encinitas down to Mexico picks up winter or Northwest swells better. Just check surfline forecast in advance to plan where you want to surf.
    Most breaks are pretty good as far as locals.
    Places I wouldnt surf due to localism?- WindanSea BigRock (also windansea) Newbreak at sunset cliffs
    Pretty much everywhere else is ok

You could do a hang glider ride ( tandem, no experience needed)

Places to go for a good meal/walk about? Carlsbad Village, Luecadia, Gaslamp district downtown

you can rent paddleboards/kayak/sailboats at the mission bay aquatic center in San Diego to putt around on the bay.

Take a half day boat and go fishing off shore or check to see if its whale watching season

Live Music- The Belly Up , and the gaslamp area downtown
    Golf- Not a golfer but you will be very close to LaCosta. Green fees are arout 200 per person, but thats world class. Also-Torrey Pines is down near Blacks beach ( North end of LaJolla)

East san diego county has a couple of reservations with good golf courses and gambling- Barona and Sycuan

Where you coming from?

So I should not go strut my stuff at Swammis? Will the locals smash me?

So I should not go strut my stuff at Swammis? Will the locals smash me
    No, Swamiis is just crowded as hell. You can get smashed at WindanSea or Bigrock though. Paddle out, sit right in the peak and try to catch every wave.

Just got back. North County has a ton of breaks and access points so finding a peak to sit on out of the way of others is really no big deal. Depending on what you are used to, "Poor to Fair" conditions may be just right. I surfed A bunch of places from San Elijo up to Ponto. Even Swami's wasn't much of a crowd scene.

If you've got a car, my advice would be to get some soft racks and buy your own wetsuit. Then you can drive to whatever break you want. http://www.sandiegosurfers.com/ has all the access info. I basically did the full kook surf vacation with the wife and had a great time. We stayed in Encinitas. Ask more questions if you want.

How often do you surf? I cringe at the thought of a wetsuit rental.. Pretty sure everyone free balls it and pisses in their suits. At least I sure do!
    Get stoked Thanksgiving typically is a great time for early season WNW and NW swells. It will be solid. Plus Thanksgiving afternoon one of the best days to surf in So Cal. Your family will understand, eventually..

I never surf, since I'm in CO. But I'd like to get out if I can manage to squeeze it in.
    What's a good place between La Jolla and Encinitas/Cardiff to watch (ie. Best waves, scenery, surfers)?

WindanSea imo for just watching. Beautiful setting, good surfers and consistent surf.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I ended up at La Jolla Shores and surfed by the pier to the north...fun break. Beautiful place. Thanks for the tips.