Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I dug this up...
    https://feedback.weather.com/custome...und?b_id=17298

The "the technology and features that you have come to rely on will continue to live on wunderground.com." line is bullshit. I can't find anything remotely resembling the Intellicast weather map interface. It is just the generic Weather Channel regional maps and the Wundermap.

I think the Weather Channel has bought up all of the major competition websites to degrade the online offerings and drive eyes back to TV.
    Weather Channel has either purchased or owns many of the other weather sites like wunderground.com. But Accuweather is the one that is still independent and completely separate operation and forecast. Weather Channel and the other one's under its control are in Altanta area and an IBM division since 2016 according to Wikipedia "subsidiary of the Watson & Cloud Platform business unit of IBM" after NBC Universal and the other venture capital owners sold it.

Accuweather is out of State College and comes from PSU Meteorology department (started by a Grad Student to sell weather reports to companies- Utilities etc.) Founder then later became a PSU Professor of Meteorology and later acquired WeatherData...

Interesting take on public vs private weather providers...

It would royally suck if that AccuWeather guy gets appointed as head of NOAA.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I don't know about other states but NY has an incredible network of detailed stations around the state. There's at least one per county and the amount of data is impressive including soil temps and composition on the site. If anyone knows of similar in other states I need the link. Dig around in here there's all sorts of useful info. http://www.nysmesonet.org/networks/standard

don't know about that GL, sorry. but came here to mention the windy.com satellite layer which is cool for checking out cloud cover, movement etc. Very detailed images that you can set in motion both past and future.

Windy.com is a little irritating at times but has just a shitload of information on it and it's international and basically crowdsourced and probably not going to be swallowed up by the likes of accuweather etc. and deserves some support.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    It would royally suck if that AccuWeather guy gets appointed as head of NOAA.
    Lulz

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Intellicast via direct ip address is still my go to source for live data.

www.ventusky.com is a close backup. I note their snowcover map overlay is pretty accurate in New Egland and the northeast right now.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Old thread, new insight. Ventusky.com has become my go to site for regional weather look see. With windy.com a close second.

For Ventusky you have to get used to the differences in the layers for clouds, radar and satellite. And the timeline slider thing at the bottom.

Both still short of full replacements for all the cool features intellicast used to have.
    Last edited by Nobody Famous; 06-22-2021 at 05:40 PM.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

Looks cool. Bookmarked. Thanks.

It's interesting using ventusky and windy to watch Ida move through the mid Atlantic right now.

I still miss the Intellicast feature where you could see plots of storms like Ida from the different models, the so called spaghetti plot.

The naming is interesting, too: Hurricane > TS > TD > Post-Tropical Cyclone > Remnants of

Check out the Dark Sky app, I'm liking it a lot these days.