Valley Uprising...anybody seen yet?

http://www.valleyuprising.com/index.php

Coming to the home of YC in November. Looking forward to seeing.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Have tickets for a November showing. Looking forward to it.

Want to. Friends saw it and said it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I saw it last week, and its definitely worth watching. The story is not new by any means, but they have some old film and photos that are cool to see.

I don't expect anything new, he'll I started climbing in Yosemite in the 70s, so I was practically there, but I love to s the old photos and hear the stories, and am looking forward to a film version.

I have been reading the 2,000 plus posts on supertaco about the Merced Lake pot plane crash; always an entertaining dirt bag story.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'm excited to see it even though the trailer seemed kinda cheesy

Saw it last week at Loyola Maryland. Definitely worth watching. Those guys/Lynn Hill confirmed my suspicion that I'm a giant wimp tho...

Haven't seen it, but I read today that five climbers were dropped from Clif Bar sponsorship because of some of the content in the movie, showing climbers as dirtbags, rule breakers, etc., (all true of course). But the main issue Clif Bar seemed to have with them was that they free solo and BASE jump. Dean Potter, Steph Davis, Alex Honnold, Cedar Wright, and Timmy O'Neill all lost their sponsorship. Fuck Clif Bars, I hate those things anyway.

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news...ar-for-soloing

Well, it just won Grand Prize at the Banff Mountain Film Festival, so that is a huge vote of confidence:
    http://www.banffcentre.ca/media-rele...lm-competition

Check the list of shows on the BMFF World Tour, there may be one near you. If a film wins Grand Prize, it is about 100% certain that it will be shown at a World Tour stop (though it may be be a shorter edited version):
    http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/worldtour/
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Haven't seen it, but I read today that five climbers were dropped from Clif Bar sponsorship because of some of the content in the movie, showing climbers as dirtbags, rule breakers, etc., (all true of course). But the main issue Clif Bar seemed to have with them was that they free solo and BASE jump. Dean Potter, Steph Davis, Alex Honnold, Cedar Wright, and Timmy O'Neill all lost their sponsorship. Fuck Clif Bars, I hate those things anyway.

OMG!!! Climbers are rebels? I can't believe it, so much for my hero worship

There is/was a funny thread on supertaco.com about the dirtbags and the Merced Lake pot plane crash where several posters were saying to keep it quiet as it shed a bad light on climbers as roll models. Needless to say they were beat down, but not anywhere near like it would have been if it were posted here.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news...bing-community
    Over a year ago, we started having conversations internally about our concerns with B.A.S.E. jumping, highlining and free-soloing. We concluded that these forms of the sport are pushing boundaries and taking the element of risk to a place where we as a company are no longer willing to go. We understand that some climbers feel these forms of climbing are pushing the sport to new frontiers. But we no longer feel good about benefitting from the amount of risk certain athletes are taking in areas of the sport where there is no margin for error; where there is no safety net.
    Can't say I disagree with their reasoning.

Saw it. Good, but I had higher hopes. Lots and lots of recycled footage. Pretty much all of it, in fact. If you watch a lot of climbing vids you'll recognize what I'm talking about. Still very worthwhile, the whole story is pretty awesome. The airplane salvage segment is hysterical. And the climbing is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Can't say I disagree with their reasoning.
    Alex Honnold apparently agrees with you in this piece he wrote for the New York Times.

Not a climber, I saw it at Banff and really liked it. I'd not seen the old footage so it was all new to me. I knew some of the history.

I think as a movie it did a great job of telling the story.

Fun movie, worth seeing even if you aren't a climber just for the personalities involved.

I saw it last night, and pretty much agree with everybody. Fun to watch, but nothing special, worth $7, plus they had $5 Channel Islands pale ale, so it was a good night.

iscariot

Got to see a showing in the valley for facelift this sept, really enjoyed it. First trip to the valley was sick, so excited to go back (hopefully soon)