Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Anyone able add the shift plate to their cart on Binding Freedom site? I can add any others but doesn't work for the shift. Can they possibly be sold out already?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Anyone able add the shift plate to their cart on Binding Freedom site? I can add any others but doesn't work for the shift. Can they possibly be sold out already?
    I had same problem a week ago. Was able to cart it a few days later (last Thursday) - buy - received - and mounted already. So, it did work..

Just spoke to duder at SVST and he confirmed that they are in fact already sold out of the Shift plates. They are hoping to get the manufacturer to make more but that is still TBD. Anyone on in the CO front range or summit that have one I could borrow briefly? Was hoping to avoid the paper template route but will go that way if I have to.

I have a jigarex with the following plates in NYC. Would be happy to help anyone that's local mount their skis or let them borrow whatever they need.

Marker Duke EPF
    Marker Kingpin
    Dynafit Beast 14
    Dynafit Beast 16
    Dynafit Vertical
    Dynafit Radical
    Plum Race
    Hagan Race / BD Helio / some ATK

Going to mount some MTNs soon with the jigarex. Anyone have any tips for tech bindings they swear by?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Going to mount some MTNs soon with the jigarex. Anyone have any tips for tech bindings they swear by?
    Check the last month-ish of the mount your own bindings thread, lots of good tips in there for mounting pin binders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Mtn experience. But alpinist.

Do some test mounts on 2x4 first. Biggest issue is toe hole tolerance. I actually think the tolerances of a jigarex or standard style jig are insufficient for tech toes. Jigs like dynafit and atk are much more substantial.

Be aware there are some ski widths the jigarex does not sit super well on and care must be taken. I found this out on some 108 waist skis and had to remount 7mm forwards as one set of holes was off center.

Use a punch that sits perfectly in the drill guides. Make sure it is perfectly straight when you punch it. Look in the hole and be sure the punch looks perfectly centered. Same for the drill, get it super straight. Taking allot of care I have had good luck with tech toes and heels lining up. Bindings like the alpinist with the counter sunk screws don’t give you much option to finesse it straight if the holes are a little off. And a tiny bit can certainly mean some misalignment at the heel.

Although and take this with a pinch of salt, I’ve skied tech what the heel didn’t drop perfectly into the pins with no adverse affects. I’d bet allot of shop mounts are not perfect if people actually checked them instead of just clicking in.

with or without jigs ( i never use them ) you want the heel dropping into the pins perfectly SO.

figure out where (fore-aft) you want the binding & mount the heel at Deadcenter

lock the boot in the binding and the toe will be where it needs to go lengthwise

now mount the toe piece at dead center by ONE SCREW only

Now for the key move, with the boot locked in the toe piece it can pivot around that 1 screw ever so slightly to find its happy place, get one more screw in the toe piece AND cuz you drilled with the boot locked in the binding the heel should drop in perfect

this will work for any frame binding, i've used it to mount my FR+
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-19-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post

Do some test mounts on 2x4 first. Biggest issue is toe hole tolerance. I actually think the tolerances of a jigarex or standard style jig are insufficient for tech toes. Jigs like dynafit and atk are much more substantial.

Use a punch that sits perfectly in the drill guides. Make sure it is perfectly straight when you punch it. Look in the hole and be sure the punch looks perfectly centered. Same for the drill, get it super straight.

Although and take this with a pinch of salt, I’ve skied tech what the heel didn’t drop perfectly into the pins with no adverse affects. I’d bet allot of shop mounts are not perfect if people actually checked them instead of just clicking in.
    Yeah my plan was to do a test mount on a 2x4 and then VERY careful center punches that'll be measured with calipers before drilling on the actual ski. I'm hoping this will catch any sort of alignment issues before any holes are made.

Most of the bits and punches I have were ordered from the Binding Freedom website and actually fit perfectly into the Jigarex which, in theory, should account for any issues with straight drilling or tapping.

Planning on inserting the heels after as well so I can take add the MTN brakes later if I so desire.

XXX-er's method seems like it'd work but I'm not sure I want do that without anyone supervising me who has done it before.
    Last edited by nyskirat; 03-19-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    For Sale:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Yeah my plan was to do a test mount on a 2x4 and then VERY careful center punches that'll be measured with calipers before drilling on the actual ski. I'm hoping this will catch any sort of alignment issues before any holes are made.

Most of the bits and punches I have were ordered from the Binding Freedom website and actually fit perfectly into the Jigarex which, in theory, should account for any issues with straight drilling or tapping.

Planning on inserting the heels after as well so I can take add the MTN brakes later if I so desire.

XXX-er's method seems like it'd work but I'm not sure I want do that without anyone supervising me who has done it before.
    I’d not take the jig off to measure and attempt to put it back on in exact same position.

I’d not take the jig off to measure and attempt to put it back on in exact same position.

You can take the plates off without removing the jig and measure that way

Pretty sure that'll work (if the ski isn't too wide, which i don't think it is). I'll double check before I do though.

Either way, I plan to be very meticulous with it.
    For Sale:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

well I have never used a jigerex but if I had one it sounds like I would use Jigerex to drill the heelpiece holes cuz I would like the heelpiece at dead center side to side on the ski and if it can also put the heel in the right place fore aft in relation to ski center ... fantastic !

next the toepiece is just going somewhere out front if I am freehanding but if I was using a jigerex and if it could tell me exactly where to mount the toe at dead center by 1 screw ... fantasic x 2 !

after that ^^ you got the toe mounted where it is going to be by 1 screw which it can rotate around so now this is the key,
    where you drill the other 3 toe screw holes will determine if the boot is centered and dropping in the heel pins

So at this point I would take the jigerex off, lock the boot in, drill at least one more toe screw and you will be all lined up

Biggest issue is toe hole tolerance. I actually think the tolerances of a jigarex or standard style jig are insufficient for tech toes. Jigs like dynafit and atk are much more substantial.
    This. The jigarex has too many points of play.

You can take the plates off without removing the jig and measure that way

Pretty sure that'll work (if the ski isn't too wide, which i don't think it is). I'll double check before I do though.

Either way, I plan to be very meticulous with it.
    Oh yes, very true.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well I have never used a jigerex but if I had one it sounds like I would use Jigerex to drill the heelpiece holes cuz I would like the heelpiece at dead center side to side on the ski and if it can also put the heel in the right place fore aft in relation to ski center ... fantastic !

next the toepiece is just going somewhere out front if I am freehanding but if I was using a jigerex and if it could tell me exactly where to mount the toe at dead center by 1 screw ... fantasic x 2 !

after that ^^ you got the toe mounted where it is going to be by 1 screw which it can rotate around so now this is the key,
    where you drill the other 3 toe screw holes will determine if the boot is centered and dropping in the heel pins

So at this point I would take the jigerex off, lock the boot in, drill at least one more toe screw and you will be all lined up
    I will actually try a test mount doing this I think, I like the concept, it's always a moment of tension when I have the screws all tightened down, toe clicked in and I'm lowering that boot heel down thinking "pleeeeeeease!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    This. The jigarex has too many points of play.
    Seeing as this has come up a few times now, how does this sound as a plan?

Mark out the center of the ski on a piece of tape up and down the length of it.

Set up a paper template properly.

Overlay the Jigarex. Center punch it to see if they line up. If they do, drill. If they don't, use the paper template.

My concern with the paper template is that it drilling vertically for inserts is more difficult as I don't have a drill press.
    For Sale:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Seeing as this has come up a few times now, how does this sound as a plan?

Mark out the center of the ski on a piece of tape up and down the length of it.

Set up a paper template properly.

Overlay the Jigarex. Center punch it to see if they line up. If they do, drill. If they don't, use the paper template.

My concern with the paper template is that it drilling vertically for inserts is more difficult as I don't have a drill press.
    It’s a tolerance thing so it’s likely one hole will be 0.4mm one way and the next 0.3mm another. And with tech alignment this can make a difference.

I will actually try a test mount doing this I think, I like the concept, it's always a moment of tension when I have the screws all tightened down, toe clicked in and I'm lowering that boot heel down thinking "pleeeeeeease!"
    by all means do a 2x4 test, but you either understand whats going on in this process or not, maybe a 2x4 will help?

but think about it, I'm suggesting you mount a little more than half the binding and check it

as opposed to invoking the thots and prayers thing/drilling all the holes and seeing if it works

can you pray with one hand while running in the screws with the other ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-19-2020 at 08:10 PM.

by all means do a 2x4 test,

you either understand whats going on in this process or not, but think about it, I'm suggesting you mount a little more than half the binding and check it

as opposed to invoking the thots and prayers thing/drilling all the holes and seeing if it works

can you pray with one hand while running in the screws with the other ?
    Ohhh I get it. I also don’t pray....

neither do i cuz she never listens any way

neither do i cuz she never listens any way
    She dead

... My concern with the paper template is that it drilling vertically for inserts is more difficult as I don't have a drill press.
    Tapping with a guide will correct all but the most egregious drilling errors, and if you drill a perfectly vertical hole, but don't use a tapping guide you'll tilt the hole, so the most important tool to own is a tap guide, IMHO.

@xxx-er's method works, but in any case, a test mount (or five) will raise your confidence level, or alternatively, point you to areas you need to improve on ... or point you to using the jig.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-19-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I have heard of mounts being off from marking/drilling/depending on a jig, I think possibly there is just too much slop or wtf ?

I asked my ski bud who ran the local Valhalla Pure how to mount touring bindings and he told me that method in like 30 seconds and it just made total sense ... I got it

hope you do too

@skirat. I messured the boot center scribes. Boot center and then another scribe is indeed 15mm forward. Similar to what xxxers method is. Drilled the heel then moved the jig 15mm forward to the forward line. Drilled the front 2 holes, marked the rear 2 with a punch, drilled those snd mounted. Pic just shows the 2 scribes. The front toe holes are the same width as a vipec/tecton just 15mm behind them. The rear 2 holes on the xenic are wider than vipec/tecton toe holesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200319_205129.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	321204

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I have heard of mounts being off from marking/drilling/depending on a jig, I think possibly there is just too much slop or wtf ?

I asked my ski bud who ran the local Valhalla Pure how to mount touring bindings and he told me that method in like 30 seconds and it just made total sense ... I got it

hope you do too
    So I did my first mount with a jig in too many years to count. A friend brought over some skis along with a Marker jig (yeah ... I know ... friends don't let friends ski Marker).

Anyhoo, the side clamps had rubber blocks fit to them, presumably to keep the jig from shifting. We didn't trust that the jig would be centered with them, so we pulled the blocks off. Having two sets of hands helped, 'coz my confidence factor (having gone manual for so long) was not high.

So yeah ... gotta watch for slop.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music