Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I have never used a jig, IME the binding itself makes a pretty good template and is always correct

the bigger question is where to put the fcuking thing ?

maybe folks should do more 2x4v mounts ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

More and more (especially when mounting tech bindings), the thing I like about paper templates is having a tested location for the heel - to locate the holes so the heel is in the middle of its adjustment track. I never seem to measure the pin gap consistently - or at least when unsupported/unmounted.

Also, if I need to get cute (biasing to one side of the track or the other for compatibility with two wildly different BSLs), I'll have a reference point for the change. Frankly, when I do this, I still do a quick test mount 'coz on the wrong day, I move the location in the opposite direction from where it should be. Maybe my problem is that I quit drinking ;-)

I also find templates help in locating along the ski's centerline as well, but you have me convinced about the one hole at a time approach to the toes.

Doing a mess of 2x4 mounts takes a lot of the stress out of the process - no matter what your chosen approach.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

yeah I just use a T-square/painters tape/ the binding, I do agree templates are good to figure out where shit has to go fore/aft but then its hard to beat using the actual binding, probably the worse thing is the dnetist who knows a little slaps that template on the ski, drills all the holes and starts praying ... go slow

when I mount fixed heel or AT I go slow & drink coffee only cuz it takes too long so if I drink beer I would be pissed before the mount is done, but mounting telemark drinking beer is not a problem and the mount will likely turn out better or worse or both
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ve done multiple dynafits, kingpins with my jigarex and haven’t had any issues...I do mount the heel first then snug the toes w the heel in place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Anyone have any issues with this thing chewing up the plastic clamp teeth ? Also, are atomic shifts the same pattern as salomon ?
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    .......Also, are atomic shifts the same pattern as salomon ?
    Yep, same binding just a different colour.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    Anyone have any issues with this thing chewing up the plastic clamp teeth ? Also, are atomic shifts the same pattern as salomon ?
    I use mine quote a bit and no problem, I did put a light coating of white lithium grease on the gears. When clamping you don't need to put a lot of pressure, just enough to get it square. The Jiga-Rex is heavy so once its mounted it won't move unless you want it too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I use mine quote a bit and no problem, I did put a light coating of white lithium grease on the gears. When clamping you don't need to put a lot of pressure, just enough to get it square. The Jiga-Rex is heavy so once its mounted it won't move unless you want it too.
    The front turn thing (very technical name) already lost its teeth on mine. Its like its binding up on the clamps. I will take it apart and see what I can do. For the price this thing costs I would expect the quality to be better. I wonder if I can find a machine shop to make one out of aluminum. As of now I am measuring it and clamping it....
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Being old, not seeing well, with shaky, arthritic hands, I have decided not to do free hand mounts anymore. I spent the last effort my hands and eyes had in them trying to fabricate my own jig and could not get anything straight anymore. Due to lack of space living in Japan, I cannot bring a drill press into my storage locker. So I broke down and ordered a Jigarex with plates for 22 Designs. It arrived today broken. Somewhere before it was shipped somebody over torqued the tension screw on one side, scaring the anodizing in at least five positions and bending the shit out of the slot that the screw slides back and forth in to set the length. The plates sit crooked on that side and I can't even put the set screw back in unless the plastic slider is all the way at the left end. The other side shows none of this damage. The box was not damaged, nor had it been opened by Japanese customs. I have sent an email to Binding Freedom since that is where my money went. But it is shipped from SVST. I don't know what is going to happen but I'd really rather not pay to send it back with no promise to make things right at no further cost to me. I guess I'm not holding my breath. Too many places others can try to shift the blame. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. $400 including shipping down the fucking drain.

Shit. All the pictures are rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8529.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	348919

Name:	IMG_8530.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	348920

Name:	IMG_8531.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	348921

Name:	IMG_8534.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	849.8 KB 
ID:	348922

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Damn ...... they REALLY need to do right by you. Keep us posted.

They did do right and quickly. They offered to refund the cost of the jigarex and plates and let me keep them. They said there is no way to do that damage with the thumb screw but that they inspect every unit and can only deduce that it must have been damaged in shipping. Kyle at SVST is THE MAN.
    Last edited by telepariah; 11-20-2020 at 03:40 PM.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

I think they should ship with those knobs removed. I recall something similar but not as severe happening to my Jigarex.

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    They did do right and quickly. They offered to refund the cost of the jigarex and plates and let me keep them. They said there is no way to do that damage with the thumb screw but that they inspect every unit and can only deduce that it must have been damaged in shipping. Kyle at SVST is THE MAN.
    Outstanding!
    Completely understand switching to the jig; used to make up excuses to re-mount skis and reveled in the concentration required for free mounting. Time marches on, things change, eyes get weak, hands and neck get stiff. Still sliding though. For many reasons, not the least of which is covid, I'm only mounting one pair of skis to begin this season.

@North, I fully agree.

@PB, very sorry to hear that. Are you a long termer? My oldest friend in the world has been suffering since March and now she has tested positive again. It's horrible but she is determined to ski this winter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Outstanding!
    Completely understand switching to the jig; used to make up excuses to re-mount skis and reveled in the concentration required for free mounting. Time marches on, things change, eyes get weak, hands and neck get stiff. Still sliding though. For many reasons, not the least of which is covid, I'm only mounting one pair of skis to begin this season.
    I hope you’re doing ok.

Plum PLate?

folks, looking to buy a plum plate for my Jigarex if anybody has one to sell.

So I've been having some issues with a single side of my jigarex clamp arms recently where they no longer open and close at the same rate, resulting in offset clamping that prevent ski centering.

Thankfully I caught the issue after 1 botched mount last, but after nearly another recently I figured I'd see if anyone had any advice on how to fix it. I purchased it several years ago now so I know warranty is likely out of the question. However, I wouldn't be opposed to sending it back for service, assuming the costs aren't absurd.

On another note, does anyone else seem to have issues with the plates and SVST stepped bits? Whenever I try to drill through the holes, the bit seems to rub the side of the guide hole and doesn't spin properly.

Am I just not drilling directly down?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

My first gen jigarex had that issue. I sent it back and they rebuilt it for a small charge. Waaaaayyyy better now.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    So I've been having some issues with a single side of my jigarex clamp arms recently where they no longer open and close at the same rate, resulting in offset clamping that prevent ski centering.

Thankfully I caught the issue after 1 botched mount last, but after nearly another recently I figured I'd see if anyone had any advice on how to fix it. I purchased it several years ago now so I know warranty is likely out of the question. However, I wouldn't be opposed to sending it back for service, assuming the costs aren't absurd.

On another note, does anyone else seem to have issues with the plates and SVST stepped bits? Whenever I try to drill through the holes, the bit seems to rub the side of the guide hole and doesn't spin properly.

Am I just not drilling directly down?
    FWIW I keep the guide holes lubed with a light coat of white grease. The guides are aluminum and the bits are hardened tool steel. No evidence of this but if you have the bit not positioned straight I could see over time deforming the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    My first gen jigarex had that issue. I sent it back and they rebuilt it for a small charge. Waaaaayyyy better now.

Who'd you send it to?
    For Sale:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Yeah this was a brand new guide, so I figured unless it came bent (unlikely since the center punch slid in and out with no issues) it's user error
    For Sale:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Svst if i remember correctly

Svst if i remember correctly

Perfect. Thanks.

I'll shoot em an email and see what they say. I figured it may be SVST but wasn't sure.
    For Sale:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

I'm trying to get my hands on a Jigarex jig and some plates. Is SVST not selling the jig itself anymore? Seems it's listed out of stock.

https://www.bindingfreedom.com/jigarex-and-plates/