Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I'd gladly pay you in beer and tell you lies in exchange for a mount. Oh, wait...

(you guys should come ski here in early-mid Dec, free accom)
    December's never going to be good for us unfortunately, but once we get to the end of January then it's game on. Cham in March

Posting up some words to help others avoid some issues I've been having with the jig recently:

First, I have to say that overall I'm really happy with the tool. I've done 9 mounts, 8 without issue. It's definitely paid for itself already, and Dave has provided great customer service - specifically when my first jig arrived with damage from shipping.

However, this season we (we meaning my friends that I've allowed to use the jig) are 0/2 on successful mounts. They had centering issues that were related to the ski clamps binding up. The clamps on my jig have never been smooth, which I attributed to the jig being a prototype/1.0 design - I purchased it knowing there might be a few kinks and the felt the lower price was a fair trade.

Here's what I think happened:
    1. One set of ski clamps bound up really badly
    2. Friend tried to move the clamps by turning the spinny lever (as you normally would) but kept trying even when the clamps bound - this caused the lever to skip a tooth and throw one side of the clamp mechanism off by one notch.
    3. Clamp operates normally but one side is offset, preventing the jig from centering, but not obviously so (to a noob).

When I took apart the jig to reset the mechanism, I also found the source of the binding issue: one of the slots that allows the clamp to slide was catching along a 1.5" section. It was actually difficult to remove one of the two bolts that fits in the slot. I filed some material out of this section, which improved the slide mechanism significantly.

Overall, a bit unlucky. User error combined with inexperience combined with a malfunctioning tool.

TLDR:
    1. Make sure ski clamp slides operate smoothly - any binding issues can be fixed by filing/sanding slide
    2. If the clamps bind, don't try to push through it using the spinny lever - the plastic will strip and skip teeth (duh)
    3. Supervise all novice users to avoid swiss cheese mounts

Thx for the heads up.
    watch out for snakes

Thanks North. Just mounted a set for a friend. I do a lot of double checking on clamp movement and center measuring. The clamp movement can be tricky. I'll have to take a look at doing some filing.

In this last set (griffons on mantras) I used a spring clamp on each end of the jig to make sure the ski was flat to the jig. Worked great. The mount took about 45 minutes but that includes a lot of marking and measuring to double check jig position and fitting to the boots. I love that you can just lift the plate to check all the holes, makes it easy to accurately drill the one you forgot.

I seem to recall Jigarex once made a plate for Sollyfit/Dynalook BF plates. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It doesn't look like they're for sale anymore.

If they were made previously, anyone want to sell theirs?

I have a pair. Not interested in selling them. Sorry

Thanks. Maybe I'll post up a WTB in gear swap

I bought a pair in August. Maybe just email them and see what's up?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yeah, email has been sent. I'll be looking to pick some up in gear swap if they no longer carry them. Thanks.

G3 ion plates just added. Salomon warden ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    TLDR:
    1. Make sure ski clamp slides operate smoothly - any binding issues can be fixed by filing/sanding slide
    2. If the clamps bind, don't try to push through it using the spinny lever - the plastic will strip and skip teeth (duh)
    3. Supervise all novice users to avoid swiss cheese mounts
    4. Draw a centerline on a piece of tape on the ski and (or scribe) on the center of two ends of the Jigarex frame.

or add Centering Ruler Stickers on the ends and BSC:

Edit to add:

An alternative to drawing a center line:

• use a combination square against the edge set to an arbitrary length, near the end of the Jigarex
    • make a mark from each edge
    • measure the distance between to find center of ski
    • double check alignment of the Jigarex
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-09-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

^^^damn smart. I'm going to add the pair of centering stickers from my last couple orders to my jigarex.

At the BSC mark the gradations on the ruler are helpful for offsets, too.

On the Line

+1 cm
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-09-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Just mounted a pair of Naxo bindings. I couldn't find a paper template on the web that I could use (found a jpg of one on this site, but not properly scaled and no way to do it with my computer skills), but three Jig-a-rex plates did the trick -- Axl, Dynafit Vertical heels, and 4-hole telemark. Actually was fairly easy to line up the holes using the binding to cross check. So, unconventional reason no. 11 for getting one of these things.

Yeah, that centering sticker is TITS!

I got a heavy duty plastic scraper from Terry couple years ago and he put one on it. I use it a lot.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Just mounted a pair of Naxo bindings. I couldn't find a paper template on the web that I could use (found a jpg of one on this site, but not properly scaled and no way to do it with my computer skills), but three Jig-a-rex plates did the trick -- Axl, Dynafit Vertical heels, and 4-hole telemark. Actually was fairly easy to line up the holes using the binding to cross check. So, unconventional reason no. 11 for getting one of these things.
    Can you point me to the Naxo jpg you found?

Regarding, using the plates to check conflicts with existing holes, I've been simply using a grease pencil in them to mark the ski. Using a punch has less slop and I'm wondering if dipping the tip in some kind of marking fluid would work better. Any ideas on non-permanent marking medium?

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Can you point me to the Naxo jpg you found?
    No jpeg, but does this help?

http://www.powderguide.com/community...anhang104.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    Thanks and nice. Now I won't bother drawing it up to create a PDF.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Happy to help.

All "my" templates can be found here (unfortunately in German): http://www.powderguide.com/community...montieren.html

If i am not mistaken i should have a paper naxo template at home.

If it is of any help i could attempt to scan it or something.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Regarding, using the plates to check conflicts with existing holes, I've been simply using a grease pencil in them to mark the ski. Using a punch has less slop and I'm wondering if dipping the tip in some kind of marking fluid would work better. Any ideas on non-permanent marking medium?
    I often just put a strip of white masking tape down on the ski and mark up the tape with a sharpie. YMMV.

Mounted two pair with the Jigarex now, love it.

Only made one mod to the 'Rex: I added two of those 1/4" rubber self-adhesive foot pads to each end of the frame (to hold the frame up off the ski a bit), so it doesn't rock back and forth on the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Mounted two pair with the Jigarex now, love it.

Only made one mod to the 'Rex: I added two of those 1/4" rubber self-adhesive foot pads to each end of the frame (to hold the frame up off the ski a bit), so it doesn't rock back and forth on the ski.
    Nice mod idea

Mounted ION bindings, went well.

Mounted Marker Tours (together with my wife, on her skis). With a small BSL the rear end of the plate hit a rivet on the side of the jig frame. This meant we could only just get boot center over the mount line. Probably ended up 2 mm forward of the line. I should have grinded the corner off the plate to accommodate the rivet, allowing me to move the plate back a bit more. I could move it along way forward, but not back any more. Also, part of the frame binding instructions is written as though the plate is in two parts, Not a big deal, but it could confuse some people.

I also skied really good knee deep powder today.
    Life is not lift served.

Mounted some look pivot 14's on the wife's new sticks. Centered holes lined up etc. however it appears as though the boot sole length ended up being a bit "long". Ie: I cannot get forward pressure with the stems all the way in, maybe 5-6ml closer together on the jig would have helped. Anyone else run into this?

Any chance the bindings are "sticky" and forward pressure will correct after a couple days of skiing. I like to hope so. It's close enough (.5ml from the white tab lining up) that I'm going with it.

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear