Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Subscribed! Pumped to see some ak stoke from people who live there who aren't automatically skiing with helicopters.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    how did you film that?
    Drones. They are everywhere. Get with it!

Enjoyed that video, thanks. Hopefully it's turning on for you guys up there!
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    A couple great days on Sunburst and Pastoral last week.

Hoping tomorrow turns out as planned
    that first pic!
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

I had an epiphany last month when my foreman was spitting in my face and slamming his hard hat on the ground. I was like "whoa you are a grumpy dude who has been doing commercial construction for about ten years too long."

I took all my stuff home on the Friday as I already knew I wouldn't be coming back on Monday. I had been trying to convince myself over the years that I was a 'worker' . A mindless drone prepared to work until retirement than I would start living. I was lucky, or so I thought, in that I already had a wealth of experience in the mountains and ocean 'not working'.

I could rationalize the next 25 years on the job site because I had already been in the mountains. These others guys only know work and they are miserable for it. There was a culture of "this is as good as it gets" or "this is the most money you will ever make" . I found those sentences depressing. Sure 60 hour work weeks at $60/hr was sweet but as they say Time = $$$

My five year old assumed that I would be at work at all times, which I was . And when I was home I was so exhausted that I was useless. My wife is like 4 months along being pregnant. The logical plan would be keep cranking out big dollars, have baby in may, keep working, live the workers dream.

But in my head I knew I had to do the opposite. Time = money. The money was not making me happy, besides the mint 2000 7.3 lariat f250 I found with 8o,000 miles

Nothing puts a smile on my face like 6 months of open calendar. So the plan, house swap with Cpg pilot who lives in kona. Surf every day January until June. Have baby in relaxed happy environment.

Not leaving until jan 10. Still time to crank out more access on orca as part of ten year "how to build ski resort from scratch " plan. I should get some of you in on it. it is a lot of work. Also built four pairs of skis this month, the first in a long while...

Maybe go hiking to get in shape fo da beeg waves brah! Da mountains no go no where.

/lifecoachmyself

So damn close to topping out on Kickstep today. Just makes me want it more.
    Yes!

Whether there's little to no snow out there, the dragon still awaits. He arose and reared his nasty head yesterday up near Delta Junction. Be careful out there, and my condolences to the Delta community.
    Under this roof lives the love of mountains

RIP EP

He was a friend of mine, pretty devastated when I figured out who was calling to let me know he was the one.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by AKturnanburn View Post
    Mike, thats a bit of a long walk right now, nicely done dude. Looks pretty good to go, how'd the lower 1/4 of pastoral ski?
    Sorry for the late response AKTB, Pastoral skied better and better the lower we got on it. Scoured at the top, more filled in lower down. The glacier was well covered, sure that's even more the case now.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    RIP EP

He was a friend of mine, pretty devastated when I figured out who was calling to let me know he was the one.
    Sorry about your friend Patrick, I hope you lives on through you.

Anybody around here available to ski during the week? Looks like there might be a weather window later in the week.

Some of the best stability I've seen in my life today. Stopped whaling on the EC test when my fist got sore. Snowpack has some great components and some challenging ones with the incoming precip. Snowpack up high is rightside up from the ground to the surface. Significant surface hoar development down low, goes away with elevation. Hopefully the rain down low tomorrow will blast that away. Major wind transport off some of the higher peaks today, a bit of soft slab development near the Taylor Pass gap. Snow down low isn't as painfully firm as I expected, more like a really hard day inbounds. Tour got cut short by a partner with another broken Plum binding

Nice to get out and see what the mountains look like after the most recent rain/snow event. The alpine is plastered, hoping the approaches start to fill in before long.

Tincan was fun this weekend. Common bowl got hammered, didn't slide, although a strange crack did open up right in the middle of the bowl on the convexity. Lots of fun pillows in the trees:

today I went fishing. 6 months and 4 days till I can ski again.

today I went fishing. 6 months and 4 days till I can ski again.
    Heal up and congrats on the new job! We'll have to sneak in some corn skiing once you are back in town with a new and improved shoulder.

Yes...

Goal for June has to do with a big S and a no fall zone

That would a great one day season!

Bad snow, great scenery

Some of the best stability I've seen in my life today. Stopped whaling on the EC test when my fist got sore. Snowpack has some great components and some challenging ones with the incoming precip. Snowpack up high is rightside up from the ground to the surface. Significant surface hoar development down low, goes away with elevation. Hopefully the rain down low tomorrow will blast that away. Major wind transport off some of the higher peaks today, a bit of soft slab development near the Taylor Pass gap. Snow down low isn't as painfully firm as I expected, more like a really hard day inbounds. Tour got cut short by a partner with another broken Plum binding

I finally wrote up a blog post from a few weeks ago on the Basketball Run.

Great as always Mike!

AKPM - What did you do to yourself that you can't ski 'til June?
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Skied Tincan Proper and Kickstep today; felt so good to get redemption on Kickstep! Obviously thin down low. Variably up high. Proper was absolutely spectacular all the way to the choke at the bottom. Kickstep was good, then bad, then good. Discontinuous crust under the new snow that was present on Kickstep, but not Proper, despite a similar aspect. Some of Kickstep sloughed out before we skied it leaving that weird, and non-adhesive crust. The crust didn't ski too bad, but the snow sure didn't like to stick to it. Calm day once we got out of the Turnagain Pass gap. We saw a couple slides that released on gulley walls on Seattle Ridge, I'm assuming they were associated with gap winds. I'll try to get a TR up in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    Great as always Mike!

AKPM - What did you do to yourself that you can't ski 'til June?
    I tore my labrum almost completely, chipped the ball on the humourous, and as it turns out tore my bicep off my body... Ended up getting surgery to repair all that the day after christmas, doctor says 6 months till I can ski and play hockey again.

Got a real job and moved to fairbanks, where believe it or not I'm jonesing to ski even more than I was in Anchorage.

Its actually winter up here...
    Took a few photos this afternoon

I tore my labrum almost completely, chipped the ball on the humourous, and as it turns out tore my bicep off my body... Ended up getting surgery to repair all that the day after christmas, doctor says 6 months till I can ski and play hockey again.

Got a real job and moved to fairbanks, where believe it or not I'm jonesing to ski even more than I was in Anchorage.
    Wow, didn't realize what a complete job you had done destroying your arm/shoulder. Heal up and enjoy the work!

Skied Tincan Proper and Kickstep today; felt so good to get redemption on Kickstep! Obviously thin down low. Variably up high. Proper was absolutely spectacular all the way to the choke at the bottom. Kickstep was good, then bad, then good. Discontinuous crust under the new snow that was present on Kickstep, but not Proper, despite a similar aspect. Some of Kickstep sloughed out before we skied it leaving that weird, and non-adhesive crust. The crust didn't ski too bad, but the snow sure didn't like to stick to it. Calm day once we got out of the Turnagain Pass gap. We saw a couple slides that released on gulley walls on Seattle Ridge, I'm assuming they were associated with gap winds. I'll try to get a TR up in the next few days.

Awesome shots!

What a beautiful couple of days its been. Nice and quiet up at turnagain today. Pretty great to be skinning from the truck again.

Wow, didn't realize what a complete job you had done destroying your arm/shoulder. Heal up and enjoy the work!
    Doctor 1: It is pretty strait forward
    Doctor 2: Its pretty major
    Doctor 3 after surgery: Yeah you were pretty freaking messed up

Moral of the story, free ski on thursdays and just hang out with everyone in town league just for fun

I love how this looks like its just hanging over an abyss. Kinda feels like it too making that turn huh?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I love how this looks like its just hanging over an abyss. Kinda feels like it too making that turn huh?
    It sure does Jed. That top section of the snow climb and ski are just so darn good. When you headed back this way?