Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AweShuksan View Post
    A little historical perspective from Mt. Baker. I was having trouble finding snow depth records for 1976-77 drought year at Baker but they helped me out by posting this on their snow report this morning:

Note: the data for '76-'77 is recorded as depth vs. new snow for the other seasons.
    This...
    A lot can happen in the next 45 day window.

A little encouragement for those who like to tour:

In the winter of 1976-77, even though all N.W. ski areas except Baker were closed until March, the touring opportunities were some of the best seen in decades. Admittedly, conditions this season are considerably different (primarily warmer and wetter) than '76-'77 but the point remains, low snowpack conditions do not have to be synonymous with poor touring. Of course, you still need to pick your weather window.

The secret is to be adaptable. Take advantage of good weather and snow free roads and easier travel over consolidated snowpack. Travel with light, easy touring gear and take advantage of better access, faster conditions and lower avalanche danger to accomplish traverses that would be difficult under more typical mid-winter conditions. You might find yourself shirtless, enjoying a roast beef sandwich at 7,000 feet, while you soak up some of that precious mid-winter sunshine.

You might find yourself shirtless, enjoying a roast beef sandwich at 7,000 feet
    JEOMK

You might find yourself shirtless, enjoying a roast beef sandwich at 7,000 feet, while you soak up some of that precious mid-winter sunshine.
    I think you found your signature.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Note: the data for '76-'77 is recorded as depth vs. new snow for the other seasons.
    Before the record season, there were lines painted on some of the chair towers indicating where the base was toward the end of '77. I remember thinking that must've been a crazy year. I had no idea that it all fell in March.

I think that was 75/76 not 77. Similar snow pattern to 98/99

^^^ in 98-99 they had spots roped-off so skiers wouldn't hit lift-riders. IIRC there were temporary "don't jump from chair" signs as well.

^^^ again IIRC, there was a spot on the up & up chair where they had to dig so people weren't skiing uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    up & up chair
    On a nostalgic lament-type note, people look at me funny when I call it up & up. Or refuse to call the honkers side 4.

http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_pac_h120_00.gif This looks a little encouraging...

The only thing in short supply today was terrain:

and, yes, we should've brought the splits:

Winter at the top, summer at the bottom. Very little in between

pipedream, what is open? Coverage in GV good? Planning on going up tomorrow.

Just GV. Patrol denied our request to rip top-to-bottom at the end of the day... disappointing for a resort that is not doing all it could to keep its upper terrain open. We rode to within 10 steps of the patio on Sunday afternoon and others reported a similar experience on Monday afternoon while the Gandhi was on wind-hold.

Northern aspects might still be okay tomorrow... everything else was cooked in the AM by el Sol and misted/drizzled on in the PM by the fog. If it doesn't set-up tonight, it'll be fun. If it does, I'd stay away until the afternoon. Coverage is passable - definitely looks and slides more like May though.

headed up then.

Loving the optimisim. I'm heading to the OP in search of chrome this weekend.

Trimmed our Newfie's winter coat yesterday, hope that helps...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1423669568.274272.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	163884

Quote Originally Posted by SkreeDaProw View Post
    refuse to call the honkers side 4.
    lol, me too. 4 will always be the chair that raced 5 to the top.

I'm trying to help. Taking my studs off today.

That offload ramp was terrifying as a small child.
    That offload ramp was terrifying as an adult... doubly-so as a sideways slider.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    That offload ramp was terrifying as an adult... doubly-so as a sideways slider.
    If it was around today they'd throw an extreme danger zone rope across it. $500 minimum for getting rescued on the offload ramp.

kept out the riff raff

I recall one season when the padded seats accepted butts on opening day but the unload ramp had about an 18" drop at the end to the actual snow. Oh wait, I got that action on film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1h2Rvx-u0#t=1m43s

If it was around today they'd throw an extreme danger zone rope across it. $500 minimum for getting rescued on the offload ramp.
    Good one.

I liked the old #1 better than the new quad. It got you to the top faster, it could be operated in much higher wind gusts, it had a more pleasant ride due to the lighter chairs. I forget what the seating surface was but it was drier and more comfortable than the padded vinyl. And the 8 feet of extra elevation made it quicker to scoot up the hill to Austin side.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    Just GV. ...
    Northern aspects might still be okay tomorrow... everything else was cooked in the AM by el Sol and misted/drizzled on in the PM by the fog. If it doesn't set-up tonight, it'll be fun. If it does, I'd stay away until the afternoon. Coverage is passable - definitely looks and slides more like May though.
    The next morning:
    2/11/15 – Wednesday at Crystal’s Green Valley which is the only place in WA that winter is still on the ground. Snow cover in the valley was pretty normal but it had gotten pretty firm overnight and never did soften up much under the high overcast sky so we stuck to the groomer paths all morning. Both Rainer and Mount St. Helens were visible so that was a nice tourist bonus. Not too bad for a party with about 75 people up there with the A lot only half full by noon. TomK & Kerry
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_11_15_GV.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	163949
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_11_15_Rainer.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	163950[
    Good runs when you get them.