Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

YAWCFMT: Yet Another "What Car For Me?" Thread

Yeah, for anyone who remembers, I had one of these threads already, 2 years ago. But requirements have changed, so rather than bump a bunch of irrelevant discussion, might as well start a new one.

Still have a 2007 Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed. Still have a wife, kiddo, and 2 big dogs. Now have a hard-side camper. Looking to move up to a full size SUV to better tow the camper (among other reasons). One that is long enough and has seats that fold flat, so I can sleep in the back if I roll on a solo adventure (I'm only 5'9", so it doesn't need to be super long). Has to have a towing capacity of at least 6500, have 4wd, fit (somewhat) in parking garages (I have a 1.5 mile commute to the park and ride garage). Budget is maybe 15-17 grand, but the "sleep in back" and tow rating eliminates a bunch of them, so need to figure out what works first, then figure out which one I want and what I can afford.

To recap:
    Towing capacity 6500+
    Fold-flat seats and long enough to sleep in when seats are folded.
    4wd
    Fits (not well, but fits) in parking garages

I know that it will get crappy mileage and be a boat.
    Last edited by Danno; 10-21-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Does it need to be 4wd? If no, I'd look in to a full size van. You'll get the well deserved "rape van" jokes for a few months, then your friends will realize how awesome the van actually is, and buy their own.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

It does need to be 4wd. And short enough to fit in a parking garage (I know that it will still be a beast to do that). Editing first post.

But yes, full size rapey van is awesome, but not the right one for me.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

But yes, full size rapey van is awesome.
    New sig?

Land Cruiser? 8500 TC. 4Runner TC will be too low.

Tahoe? 8300 TC.
    I still call it The Jake.

With that money, a Pathfinder or older 4runner would be perfect. I hate pathfinders, but because you have the nissan truck......

You will have to buy the 4runner out of state, as basically there are no good options for that price range as I have been shopping for one too.

American SUVs have shitty folding seat options in general.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    With that money, a Pathfinder or older 4runner would be perfect. I hate pathfinders, but because you have the nissan truck......

You will have to buy the 4runner out of state, as basically there are no good options for that price range as I have been shopping for one too.

American SUVs have shitty folding seat options in general.
    Either of those SUVs would be great except for the fact they don't come near his towing capacity (unless you go with an old V8 4Runner). I've owned both and will swear them up and down fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Either of those SUVs would be great except for the fact they don't come near his towing capacity (unless you go with an old V8 4Runner). I've owned both and will swear them up and down fwiw.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4708579647.html

7300LBS = V8^

I never look at the V8
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    New sig?

Land Cruiser? 8500 TC. 4Runner TC will be too low.

Tahoe? 8300 TC.

7300LBS = V8^

I never look at the V8
    Curious: do you guys know that the rear seats fold flat and it's sleepable, or are you guessing?

I haven't looked at that one in particular, but every 4Runner I've ever seen has had fold flat seats.

That 4.7L V8 is bomber. Had one in my old Tundra.

7300LBS = V8^

I never look at the V8
    Towing capacity has little to do with engine size. Think more along the lines of braking...

OP, any reasonable older suburbans around your local? Remove the back seat as you don't need the passenger space and have lots of room for crashing in the back, or for the hounds. Not a fan of suburbans personally, but would fit your stated needs and price.

Curious: do you guys know that the rear seats fold flat and it's sleepable, or are you guessing?
    I've owned a 2000 (3rd gen) and 2004 (4th gen) and both rear seats folded flat and gave me plenty of space to sleep. I'm 6'. I've only owned V6's though and I don't think those will meet your TC requirement.

Grab an Expedition, pimp fold flat seats. The 14 Tahoe has fold flat seats finally. In my 07 Tahoe, I use a sheet of plywood and two cinder blocks to make a flat bed.

I know. That V8 looks pimp.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Towing capacity has little to do with engine size. Think more along the lines of braking...

OP, any reasonable older suburbans around your local? Remove the back seat as you don't need the passenger space and have lots of room for crashing in the back, or for the hounds. Not a fan of suburbans personally, but would fit your stated needs and price.
    Specs designate engine size as determining factor for towing. Of course you need the braking, but for this mid SUV, I imagine the jump from V6 5000LBS to V8 7300 LBS is for the engine.
    Terje was right.

Tahoe looks the coolest
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

If you didn't have the parking garage requirement, I'd say a diesel excursion. Those things are bad ass, and can get better mpg than most SUVs. Some good looking ones on denver craigslist too.

I'd look into a Tahoe probably.

My excursion fits into my garage at home and our garage at work (both 7'clearance). I can sleep in the back and still seat 5 people comfortably. It'll tow whatever. And best of all you can get a nice one with the coveted 7.3L diesel and leather, DVDs, heated seats, and all the other goodies for right in the 15K to 17K neighborhood. Maybe even less if you're willing to hunt for one for a while and travel to get it. I love the hell out of driving it. Yes, the diesel stinks. Is expensive to own and maintain. It isn't real enthusiastic about cold mornings. My wife refuses to drive it unless there really is no other alternative. And I've run into my garage while parking it 3 different times now. But all that crap is worth it. Do it Danno!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Having e-known Danno for about a decade now, the thought of his driving a Diesel Excursion amuses me. Would be a good option though.

Usual suspects have been covered, except the Sequoia with the 4.7. I assume the tow capacity is big enough but I don't have the specs in front of me on the phone.

I'd skip the Tahoe on the fold flat issue. Suburban should work though. Nissan Armada/Infiniti Q56 have a shitty rep. V8 4R works, but you might as well go full Sequoia IMO, unless the smaller size and perhaps slightly better offroad chops appeal to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

YAWCFMT: Yet Another "What Car For Me?" Thread

Specs designate engine size as determining factor for towing. Of course you need the braking, but for this mid SUV, I imagine the jump from V6 5000LBS to V8 7300 LBS is for the engine.
    I've always gone by what I was told years ago for commercial hauling - decreasing from rubber through to the powerplant.

But I found this article interesting:
    http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c...?__federated=1

So you may be closer to the mark than I for that 4-runner stated capacity.

The gross weight of a Jayco Jay Feather Sport is under 4k.

The Chevy Express AWD 1500 is rated to 6,400 and meets your requirements perfectly.

Or: http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/4722504320.html

http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/4699540636.html
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 10-21-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

How did you arrive at your 6500# number?

If you plan to actually tow 6500#, get something with a rated towing capacity significantly higher than that. Having done a shitload of towing in a lot of different rigs ranging from small and light tags to a 38' gooseneck behind an F350 dually diesel, towing at or near a vehicle's limits sucks especially since you'll be towing in the mountains.

Definitely skip the Tahoe, they were once decent trucks but have basically been glorified soccer mom station wagons since the early 2000s. I can't even tell you how many diffs we toasted back in the early 2000s on one towing a ~5000lb trailer. Maybe they fixed that, but given GM's record for quality in the mid 2000's, I doubt it.

I also am hesitant to recommend the Sequoia or 4-Runner or Landcruiser with the 4.7L V8. I have that engine in my first gen Tundra and it is an excellent drivetrain. Pretty much bulletproof. A Sequoia would certainly tick all your boxes on paper, but.... I wouldn't want to tow 6500# (or even 4000#) regularly with my Tundra. Will it do it? Sure, I borrowed a friend's Tundra and towed home my old Blazer once, that had to have been 4500# for the vehicle and trailer. But I'm glad I was only pulling it across Denver and not up in the hills. I regularly tow 1500-2000# in snowmobiles with mine, and honestly I wouldn't want to tow much heavier than that regularly in the mountains, it just doesn't have the power or braking capacity to do it efficiently. The Sequoia has the same drivetrain and rated towing capacity, but is 1000# heavier - not gonna help it's towing ability any.

I hate to say it, but if you're stuck on SUVs I think you're probably looking at Suburbans, Excursions, Expeditions, Yukons, etc. Honestly no idea which of those is the best. If you're willing to consider staying in a pickup truck, I'd say some patient hunting could net you a newer-gen Tundra 5.7L which should be a much more capable truck.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4660295049.html

Armada 08+

I had an 08 Titan. Great truck. Pulled my boat like a champ.

I have an 08 V8 4Runner, and it would not like towing 6500 lbs. It's pretty small too. Great little SUV though. I got it for 16 wholesale, and will probably sell it for 20-21.

With 15-17k Id look at F250s and go with a camper top.

^60k rig, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Beer Drinker; 10-22-2014 at 05:07 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I'm not towing 6500 pounds, not even close. That's the number with lots of cushion in it to make sure I don't over tax the truck. My current v6 truck is rated to 6k, but with the camper shell I'm already below that, and I think it will suffer in the mountains.

I'd get a Sequoia then. More room than a 4runner. Lots of the 4wd 4runners thunk.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

While the Tahoe, and assuming the Yukon, 2nd row rear seats do not fold flat they do fold up forward and there is a lot or room back there. That is assuming you don't have the 3rd row seats in, which we don't 99% of the time.

New Tahoe does have fold flat 3rdand 2nd row seats.