Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When did Southwest Airlines eliminate nonstops between SEA and RNO?

Fuckers. Been using that route for years for easy Tahoe trips. WTF Happened?

Screws up the junior comp season travel plans pretty good. Not really interested in 5-8 hour one-way trips that stop in LA.

I'm bummed that starting in the New year the non-stop from BWI to SLC doesn't arrive until 7:30pm. That puts a big crimp in eating before shopping for food & booze on the way up the hill.

Good thing Delta still flies a daily direct from ATL to EGE that gets me in at noon.

Oh wait, wasn't this thread about the OP's flights?
    I still call it The Jake.

Tahoe's bad season kill the flight?

Sea>slc looks to be gone as well.

Companies are systematically fucking over customers and the common good at exponential rate.

Wake the fuck up bootlicker. If you're an old fuck...SLEEP
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    good riddance, non stop to Hawaii is all that matters.
    Church with pastor Bob-o
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Alaska still flies that, don't they?

Yeah that sucks. SWA also stopped the RNO-SLC route.

Excess C-3's in south America. Legal pot in Wa. Sea-Reno party flight demand. I see a business op.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Good thing Delta still flies a daily direct from ATL to EGE that gets me in at noon.

Oh wait, wasn't this thread about the OP's flights?
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I love flying to skiing destinations on Southwest simply because they don't charge for the 1st two bags. That makes a roughly $200 difference round trip.

Southwest is the most well run airline. If they're not making money on the route, they drop it.
    Since they only fly 737's, they have to fill 143 seats, were as a commuter could put an RJ in that route and still make money.
    Plus an RJ captain probably makes at least 50k less.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I love flying to skiing destinations on Southwest simply because they don't charge for the 1st two bags. That makes a roughly $200 difference round trip.
    Ding-ding! Toss that man a kewpie doll.
    Losing the SLC<->SEA directs is going to hurt...fortunately they're keeping the SEA<->ABQ directs, which strikes me as odd; I'd have thought that the former had a lot more seats filled than the latter.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Fuck me. SEA to SLC nonstop has indeed vanished too. That's even more of loss than RNO. Time to dump the SW air Visa. That sucks massive ballz. The baggage factor is huge when flying other carriers. We carry lots of gear, usually a ski bag with 2+ pairs each, a gear bag plus carry-ons. It's a significant game changer. That's an extra $600 per round-trip for our crew. Might have to hit the Taos comp this year flying into ABQ instead of going to Tahoe.

As far as the viability of SEA/RNO and SEA/SLC for SW it's tough to think they weren't profitable. They were always full planes and we've flown those routes many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ding-ding! Toss that man a kewpie doll.
    Losing the SLC<->SEA directs is going to hurt...fortunately they're keeping the SEA<->ABQ directs, which strikes me as odd; I'd have thought that the former had a lot more seats filled than the latter.
    I see how that's a bummer, but I dig Alaska Air more anyhow, but prolly because of frequent flyer bennies. besides, the no fee for baggage thing is probably going away eventually on SWA...also, not a huge fan of the bum rush for seats on SWA.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    yes, but
    ski policy --> ski bag w/ 1 set skis/poles + 1 boot bag w/ boots/helmet = 1 checked bag at the regular price
    if your ski bag has other shit in it, they charge by weight on their oversize policy

tho it's free, if you're in their mileage hierarchy

That is a nice difference. SW has pissed me off with the AirTran merger and the whole conversion of A+ rewards to Rapid Rewards and their seemingly accelerated rewards expiration timetables but that's another thread. Between my Delta debit card, Delta AmEx and their monsterhub I'm pretty loyal to them for now.
    I still call it The Jake.

Certainly have to factor it in. I've been flying Spirit lately which is on the other side - pay everything ala carte. Ended up cheaper than SW for me, I could keep my baggage to little or nothing. Wasn't carrying skis though.

Another thing I liked about Spirit, because they charge more for carry-ons than checked baggage it was much smoother getting on and off the plane.

Other than that, flying in and out of Denver is pretty much a SW show.

Doesn't help OP, they don't fly to either Seattle or Reno, but there you have it.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    yes, but
    ski policy --> ski bag w/ 1 set skis/poles + 1 boot bag w/ boots/helmet = 1 checked bag at the regular price
    if your ski bag has other shit in it, they charge by weight on their oversize policy

tho it's free, if you're in their mileage hierarchy
    I never had them check to see if I had put other stuff in my ski bag or boot bag. Which I might have done.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Fly into Sacramento? That is what I'm doing this winter because the SAN-RNO nonstop flight time changed to mid day and I want option to ski everyday. The drive to SMF will likely suck, so I picked late night for return.

NetJets, people. Commercial is for the 99% and people who want to take chances with ebola.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Fly into Sacramento? That is what I'm doing this winter because the SAN-RNO nonstop flight time changed to mid day and I want option to ski everyday. The drive to SMF will likely suck, so I picked late night for return.
    good idea. cheap too. Interestingly, the southwest route map still shows direct flights to both RNO and SLC. Not that that means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    good riddance, non stop to Hawaii is all that matters.
    Hawaii with stops would be interesting.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    NetJets, people. Commercial is for the 99% and people who want to take chances with ebola.
    Yeah, but, watch out for drunken snow plow operators named Boris.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ...fortunately they're keeping the SEA<->ABQ.
    I'm quite sad over the loss of reno as I wanted to Tahoe this winter, but maybe taos is the call this year.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel