Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    So sorry to hear that. Good luck with the surgery and heal up fast!
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Surgery went well, it's two weeks of bed rest until I see the doc.

Aiight...doc cut a "window" in the cast today to peak at the slice-n-dice action. All good, cast comes off in a week and it'll be on to my transformer boot for a few months of big pimpin' fun. Best part is that they put a lift under the heel of the fixed achilles which means in order to stay even I get to add a 1" lift to the shoe on my good leg as well.
    Last edited by truth; 09-07-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Truth'll be hittin' it with the glass lifter heel pumps
    Good luck with the recovery, purgatory ain't got nuthin on truth!

B)

Cast is off!!! I also tried to move the ankle for the first time. This is going to suck, tougher than the ACL for sure. Full ROM is going to be a long time coming. The scar is gnarly and won't go camo the way the ACL does unless I get hair plugs. Regardless, it's nice to be out of the cast. Rehab restarts tomorrow.

Get er' dun

Good luck mang. Crossing my fingers hoping you get an attractive OT or PT.

Day 23 post op.

PT

Back in the saddle so to speak, making full roations with zero resistance on the staionary bike, being careful to avoid any movement past nuetral in dorsi flexion. Light stretching to nuetral as well as side to side with very light resistance as well as gentle massage to keep the scar moving and prevent the tendon from becoming bound up as the skin layers heal. We've had to tpae one smal section of the incision as it is pulling and not closing properly on the surface. A few days taped shut ought to do the trick. What's nice is that aside from the discomfort of stretching what is now a VERY tight achilles there is no pain at all.

The good thing is that I'm able to get back on the sled to work my left leg / ACL. I've only lost a little bit of strength in the VMO and a few degrees of extension that I'll have to fight for. Flexion has actually improved with the down time. It's nice to be able to hammer on the ACL and vent some of the frustration of having to go so slow with the achilles.
    Last edited by truth; 09-20-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Doc visit today...

cleared for full wieght bearing with crutches and the boot on. In a week I can go to one crutch, 10 days later no crutch. No flexion past nuetral for another month though...

1 crutch down, one to go.

Dropped to one crutch yesterday and was supposed to be on it for a week to 10 days but it was retarded. I said fuck it and dropped em both. No pain and much more comfortable. I'm still in this franken boot for a while but damn it feels good to acctually put one foot in front of another.

Truth,

That's exactly what mine felt and loooked like. 6 days in though, those staples should be coming out pretty soon, in their place you should get some sterie sp? strips. Kepp work on your Range of motion and other exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by powwrangler
    Truth,

That's exactly what mine felt and loooked like. 6 days in though, those staples should be coming out pretty soon, in their place you should get some sterie sp? strips. Kepp work on your Range of motion and other exercises.
    Ummm....you don't read so good do ya?

8 weeks post op

Saw the doc and all is well. Green lighted for: full rom, calf raises, 20 minute light resistannce bike sessions (up from 10). Next visit in 3 weeks and that should spell the end for this knee high contraption I've been gimping around in. Then it'll be a few months in a heeled boot (cowboy or biker type).

Another day another doc visit. ROM is now at 8 degrees dorsi flexion compared to 14 on the healthy ankle. Got the go ahead to begin walking in normal shoes with a heel lift and to be totally out of the "boot" by 12/1. Got on an eliptical machine for the first time today...damn. It's still a long road ahead.
    Last edited by truth; 12-05-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Fianlly got a pic. Watch for scale.

After 2 weeks of weaning myself off the boot and into normal shoes the transition is complete. I still have a limp, especially in the morning before I can warm up the achilles and stretch it out. The ankle is so weak, it's kinda a leap of faith with every step. Recent snows are making things a bit interesting and too much time walking about get things pretty tender. Strength and mobility seem to come and go but progress is still being made.

Now that the season is in full swing the bummer of it all is really setting in.

4 months post op and the doc is pleased. As soon as I can do a single leg calf raise on the rebuilt achilles I am cleared to start running. I'm about 65% of the way there and according to him I'm only a few weeks behind the amazing pace Mike Brown of the Chicago Bears set in his recovery last year. I'm now walking normal in normal shoes with no heel lifts which is nice. I'm also able to pedal in the standing position on my spinner for sustained periods which ought to help break up the monotony a bit. All in all things are moving forward nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    4 months post op and the doc is pleased. As soon as I can do a single leg calf raise on the rebuilt achilles I am cleared to start running. I'm about 65% of the way there and according to him I'm only a few weeks behind the amazing pace Mike Brown of the Chicago Bears set in his recovery last year. I'm now walking normal in normal shoes with no heel lifts which is nice. I'm also able to pedal in the standing position on my spinner for sustained periods which ought to help break up the monotony a bit. All in all things are moving forward nicely.
    w00t w00t!

soon it will alll be a distant mammory....

Awwww yeah!

I jogged on a treadmill for 1 minute at 4 mph with no limp today.

Haven't checked this one in awhile, but glad to see you're healing well and on your way to "normalcy" . . . I have no doubt you'll be out there soon. Can you XC ski or anything like that? What's the prognosis for return to skiing? Outdoor cycling?

Good luck on seeing it through

Outdoor Cycling should be a go as soon as the weather here makes it even remotely inviting. X-country is a no as it's far more dangerous to the achilles than alpine would be. Right now my only limiting factors are dorsa flexion in my right ankle (raising your foot toward your shin, thus stretching the achilles) and calf strength. My ACL knee is so bomber it's silly, it's basically had an extra 4 months of rehab as I've been doing all my PT for both legs equally. I could probably ski groomers at this point but the idea is not even tempting to be honest. I'll wait for August in SA.

It's good to hear you're healing well. I remember reading this story when you posted it and I had to reread it after my injury. It's helped me with my injury to see how positive and strong you've been throughout your ordeal. Hopefully the weather gets better and you can get on that bike.

Thanks man, coming up on 12 months of gimpdom here and it's been qutie the adventure. I've learned alot about myself and who I really am. Having so much of my life and the way I viewed myself in the world taken away has been a blessing of sorts. It would seem there were lessons I needed to learn. Hopefully I learned em this time cuz I'm ready to be 100% again.

SA tour fall 2006 baby!

Agility training began yesterday. Hopping side to side and front to back, damn I'm sore as fuck in my achilles but it's a nice move in the right direction.

great thread and info Truth.
    i am so sorry to read your final two post, MAN what a bummer
    I will continue to keep checkin up on you
    I am going under the knife on 3/2/06
    man, what a drag