East Coast Quiver Call // TOURING QUIVER QUANDARIES

Yes, i want to ski the glorious sticks and stumps of the Maine backcountry. What do we think the set up should/could/would be?

Stats:
    quarterback, south mississippi methodist baptist state
    6'1 240
    best skier on the mountain at all times
    admittedly prefer the turning to the hucking
    skis i have enjoyed: lhasa 186, mantra 177, 180 bonafide, 175 kuro
    skis that i masterbate to: 186 sick day 95, 183 mantra, 184 cham 97, lhasa 191, lhasa fat, kastle 188 bmx108, icelandic 181 keeper SKNY to name a few

Looking for Light, 90mm+, rockerfied, edge monster upon which to ski daily and tour aggressively throughout east coast, but primarily amongst the sugarloaf regions. •Thinking about Factor 110 boots, because they are a great deal. So this would be my primary expedition stick for lots of touring and outdoors time for the ol lungs + down hill stoke.

What are ya'll employing for east coast uphill to downhill skis? Thoughts on skis above? Thoughts on EC BC set ups? Thoughts about thoughts themselves!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, also: 186 LHASA POW DUKES
    177 MANTRA CORESHOTS --- my humble quiver, as it stands this evening.

Jonathan not withstanding, we generally don't "tour" long distances in the East so I find ski weight to not be as much of a concern. At the same time don't take my dynafits away from me.

I have been using Nordica Hell and Back the past 2 seasons that were cheap through Start Haus. What I like about them: width 98, camber and a decently strong edge I feel I can stand on when it is hard and steep on MW, early rise for the pow and also easier turn initiation on steep and hard, flat tail for getting the most out of my ski length and also as a multi tool in the BC, even "round" flex, jack of all trades ski.

Bought them in a 177 which is a bit shorter than I ski my lift binding skis.

Blizzard Brahma. I've toured a bunch on Bushwackers, which are the same shape with less metal. But I'm 60lbs lighter than you. Lighter than most non-touring skis. Good on ice and floats well for a skinny. Doesn't finish turns for you like Mantras, but much more nimble and easy to pivot.

Cat's suggestion is also a good one. Both are skis that can support a large man, but aren't made of bricks.

I've really enjoyed the 186 Rossi S3's with Dynafits that I've had for the last several years. I have found that they float and slarve around way better than they ought considering their 98mm width - just goes to show you that flex and rocker profile are at least as important as width in terms of how a ski behaves.

That said, gravity favors you more than me (at least on the downhill portions), and you would probably find them too noodly.

How about DPS Wailer 99s? Similar shape to the S3 (bit flatter tail), but much more stiff and suited to a heavier guy. Pures will also be nice and light, and your wallet will lose some weight as well, which should help on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Jonathan not withstanding, we generally don't "tour" long distances in the East so I find ski weight to not be as much of a concern. At the same time don't take my dynafits away from me.
    True, we really don't have much in the way of long approaches out East.
    (Well, except for Baxter. Plus some of those Daks slides.)

But we do now have many more choices for skis that are 90+ yet are reasonably light:
    http://skimo.co/compare-powder-skis
    (Even I succumbed to temptation with the Dynafit Denali for this season.)

Also, although the various discontinued Factor boots sure are cheap, consider the Dynafit Mercury/Vulcan twins for better performance on the Up but still plenty of stiffness on the Down.
    Maybe the Scarpa Freedom SL too?
    Or even the lightest Tecnica, which I think (correctly?) is now the Cochise Pro Light.
    Even with bindings from Dynafit (or Fritschi Vipec, G3 Ion, Marker Kingpin, Plum Guide/Yak), that Factor at about nine pounds is a lot of weight to lift/pivot on each stride.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Sloafer11' View Post
    Yes, i want to ski the glorious sticks and stumps of the Maine backcountry. What do we think the set up should/could/would be?

Stats:
    quarterback, south mississippi methodist baptist state
    6'1 240
    best skier on the mountain at all times
    admittedly prefer the turning to the hucking
    skis i have enjoyed: lhasa 186, mantra 177, 180 bonafide, 175 kuro
    skis that i masterbate to: 186 sick day 95, 183 mantra, 184 cham 97, lhasa 191, lhasa fat, kastle 188 bmx108, icelandic 181 keeper SKNY to name a few

Looking for Light, 90mm+, rockerfied, edge monster upon which to ski daily and tour aggressively throughout east coast, but primarily amongst the sugarloaf regions. •Thinking about Factor 110 boots, because they are a great deal. So this would be my primary expedition stick for lots of touring and outdoors time for the ol lungs + down hill stoke.

What are ya'll employing for east coast uphill to downhill skis? Thoughts on skis above? Thoughts on EC BC set ups? Thoughts about thoughts themselves!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, also: 186 LHASA POW DUKES
    177 MANTRA CORESHOTS --- my humble quiver, as it stands this evening.
    Although I prefer to tour and resort ski on different skis, of the skis that I've used, I think the best "quiver of one" solution would be something from Icelantic or something from Black Diamond's touring offerings. Also, I have loved my K2 Coombacks, although they're now replaced by La Sportiva Vapor Nanos. (If you want a dirt cheap pair in 175 w/skins, are planning on using tech bindings, and have boot soles near 300 BSL, PM me...)