Page 229 of 230 FirstFirst ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 5745
    WOW fantastic shot NEK just fantastic.......need to purchase some of your work for sure.....thanks for sharing
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Specifically I want a graduated Neutral Density filter. This filter has a dark half that blends to clear in the other half. It allows you to take a longer exposure by having the darker half of the lens cover a really bright area (sky) while the clear half soaks up all available light (foreground cows, stream/waterfall, etc).
    Thanks... so it's not "non-dairy"?

It makes sense, but your pics look great anyhow. Nice heron pics, stalking and with prey!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

PSA:

I thought this might be of interest to some of you that live in the Southern Maine area.

We are hosting BDTV at Allspeed in Portland, Black Diamond will be showing three short films that are focused on backcountry skiing/ski mountaineering as part of their new BD TV project. We'll have a bunch of snacks and some great [free]beer from the best local breweries (Bissell Brothers, Maine Beer Company, Banded Horn). Andrew McLean will be there as well doing a presentation before we kick off the films.

Wednesday October 21st, 7PM
    Allspeed
    127 Marginal Way, Portland Maine 04101
    Last edited by chriscarleton; 10-13-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Slow down what is the heron eating?

A huge field mouse was on the menu for that heron's brunch. When I first saw the heron in a grassy swail between the road and a brook, it was standing motionless in the pose in the first picture, staring into the grass. Then BOOM, the heron thrust its head into the grass and popped up with the huge mouse in its beak. After a few thrashes to break its neck, the heron seem to pause to see what the hell I was doing and then flew down into the stream bed.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Forest uptracks can be long or short, but so often they are less than interesting....it's just the way up and we settle for it because it really is all about the down.

Well, not me. No more settling for boring-boreal uptracks. Green and white, green and white, click, click, green and white streaming along slowly just will not be enough.

Wander off the beaten path through Beech and Birch glades, pass by a pretty little stream, delve deep into a waterfall alcove, seek the bluffs to find views along a NW to E arc. A simple Boreal tunnel is not enough!
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Anybody have any recent experience with Ski Stop in Westwood, MA? It looks like they were acquired by Boston Ski & Tennis, but some of the same staff is still in place, in particular the boot fitters. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of new boots from there as the shop is only a town over from me and would be really easy to get to for adjustments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Anybody have any recent experience with Ski Stop in Westwood, MA? It looks like they were acquired by Boston Ski & Tennis, but some of the same staff is still in place, in particular the boot fitters. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of new boots from there as the shop is only a town over from me and would be really easy to get to for adjustments, etc.
    Had a great experience there. Think the fellow who fit me was named Gerhard (or some spelling like that). He was fantastic so if he still there see if you can get him. He is a German fellow.

NOAA seems to have backed off from the previously forecast possibility of earned turns for Sunday:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/product....&highlight=off
    TOTAL SNOWFALL THROUGH THE PERIOD REMAINS ON THE SMALLER SIDE AND WILL LIKELY BE MORE OF A NOVELTY THAN ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT EXCEPT FOR ELEVATIONS 3,000FT AND HIGHER.
    ... but SR is charging ahead with turning the bullwheel for the following day:
    http://sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report
    The day you've been waiting for since May 2 is finally here: Opening Day of the 2015-16 winter season is planned for Monday, October 19.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Woah. May have to blow off other plans on Monday.

Time for another ESAW update!

All the details I've been posting about previously are now up at the revised website:
    http://www.esaw.org

But if you plan to attend, please pretty please (Please PLEASE) register here:
    http://www.esaw.org/2015-registration/
    ... for the presentations and dinner now Now NOW!!!
    (Was that sufficiently subtle?)

More specifically ...
    The new venue at the Mount Washington Hotel Grand Ballroom will be spectacular, BUT it comes with a complicated set of financial commitments.

The more accurate the head count we have ahead of time via on-line registration will help us walk the fine line between having enough food for everyone (both during breaks throughout the presentations, and then after that so we don't have to turn anyone away from the dinner) versus overordering and running at a loss (which would necessitate a price increase for 2016).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Had a great experience there. Think the fellow who fit me was named Gerhard (or some spelling like that). He was fantastic so if he still there see if you can get him. He is a German fellow.
    My son got his vacuum formed boots fitted there, by the fellow with the Austrian accent. We travelled from Metro-North for the purchse and fitting. We were not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    NOAA seems to have backed off from the previously forecast possibility of earned turns for Sunday:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/product....&highlight=off

... but SR is charging ahead with turning the bullwheel for the following day:
    http://sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report
    Life begins at 3k. Dan Dowling is forecasting enough for hardcore not-so-turns, turns.
    dotswax.com

In the off chance some of you haven't heard (or live under a rock in the forest for first turns), there is a big preseason maggot party this Saturday at Magic Mt... It's a great way to get to know some of the local posters and posers.

From the Ullrfest thread:

We will have roasted pig, bacon, chicken, bacon, pizza, bacon, tuna, bacon, guacamole, bacon and some serious salads (and some bacon).

Captain Awesome's home brew on tap along with what will no doubt be a huge cross section of New England's finest award winning beers.

My Pet Powder Goats amazing hot cider (is it spiked?!):

We will be screening the BRAND NEW, ONLY AVAILABLE IN THEATERS, TGR film, Paradise Waits outdoors, on the big screen.

There will be a raffle with the winner going home with a Freeride Systems Antero 3 jacket... an amazing piece of gear

And last but not least, DoWork's signature ice luge.

This is a real Olympic event... and you'll meet a great group of like minded ski freaks who you will actually enjoy hanging with. Not to mention, you'll connect with and make some good BC partners for the upcoming season and hear some great fish stories...

SO WAKE UP AND GET YOUR BONEY, LAZY ASS OUT OF THE CHAIR AND BE THERE! Oh, and maybe, just maybe, Sage may visit, again????!

How far is magic from Burlington? Too much work on a phone to google it. Do you like bacon Mac n cheese?
    dotswax.com

Killington just announced its opening
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    How far is magic from Burlington? Too much work on a phone to google it. Do you like bacon Mac n cheese?
    2 hours 15 minutes from Essex Jct at 72 mph on I-89 to I-91 to Route 11 (Springfield). Trust me, there is no faster way. It's a wicked easy drive. And the party is definitely worth it.

^^^ Now that's an answer to be proud off. Lost quest has nothing on you, sir.
    dotswax.com

And now for something completely different

It's not like we have forgotten, but this document, National Climatic Data Center Technical Report No. 98-02, entitled "The El Nino Winter of ’97 - ’98', should remind those who have: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/t...802/tr9802.pdf.

When it comes to this Winter, make sure you have replacements for your chainsaws

I was relatively lucky during the 97/98 ice storm. Hope all you folks dancing around the fire this weekend summon up a bountiful winter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1445081192.868167.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	170490

It begins.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Impressive ^^^^

7:56 AM first flakes fall bob.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

sadly laid up with a terrible fever so won't make it to ullrfest. on another note, where is the best place to get my skis tuned in the Boston area?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Summit Ski in Framingham

Mad river beats killington againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445110893.714907.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	170507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445110912.415184.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	170508
    legend in my own mind