Page 162 of 230 FirstFirst ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 5745
    So sad to hear bout that hiker. Can't imagine the guilt her husband's dealing with, nor can I fathom either of their decision making.

For something lighthearted here's a bigger backyard park, same roommate.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Just heard about this in the morning avy report. Vibes to her family and friends. I give tremendous credit to the SAR folks who attempted to rescue her. That call could not have been a fun one to respond to. I hope none of them were injured in their efforts.
    Not sure why she isn't getting a Darwin Award here. SAR should send the husband a bill for the rescue.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

EAST COAST ROLL CALL #8 14/15 A NEW HOPE

It sure feels like the hiker had a plan to hike Mt Adams over the holiday weekend, no matter what, and didn't fully consider the consequences. With that said, no one deserves to die like that.

On another note, Mrs. P and I kicked and glided for 15 glorious K this afternoon at Wild Wings.

Let's face it, skiing deep powder gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Reminds me of reading 200 below zero or whatever that book was called about the first winter ascent of Denali. I hope I never experience -35 temps and 100mph winds.
    148 below - that was gritty survival tale of weathering cold - sad thing with the hiker. Not without peril will have a few chapters more next time.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/201...s-148-degrees/
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Let's face it, skiing deep powder gets old.
    Quoted for truth. That stuff blows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb2015BowlR.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	164174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb2015BowlS.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	164175

Still some awfully fun (there's that damn word again) bullwheel assisted turns out there if you're willing to wander a bit afield.

Woot!

It sure feels like the hiker had a plan to hike Mt Adams over the holiday weekend, no matter what [...]
    According to the reports ("trust, but verify" as was said in a much different context), the plan was to hike Madison > Adams > Jefferson > Washington, meeting her JP Morgan VP husband later that same day at the Cog base, after he dropped her off at 5 that morning.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    According to the reports ("trust, but verify" as was said in a much different context), the plan was to hike Madison > Adams > Jefferson > Washington, meeting her JP Morgan VP husband later that same day at the Cog base, after he dropped her off at 5 that morning.
    Thats a burly trip anytime between November and April unless your name is Jonathan S.

What a horrible way to be punished for bad decision making.

Hats as off to the SAR folks who did all they could given the conditions. Glad the count didn't go up as it could have easily. I for one hope I never need them but I am glad to know we have dedicated professionals and volunteers willing to give it all they've got.
    Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Crazy given the conditions. I guess I mean to say that it seems like this was her trip to the Whites and she planned to complete the hike regardless of the weather. It's like those that only get the one week per year vacation and force activities that just don't work right then.
    Unfortunate.

Can't begin to imagine how the husband is feeling. Super sad to hear about that. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post

For something lighthearted here's a bigger backyard park, same roommate.

Bitchin' man! Wait what was that at then end? Peter Griffin
    27° 18°

Crazy given the conditions. I guess I mean to say that it seems like this was her trip to the Whites and she planned to complete the hike regardless of the weather. It's like those that only get the one week per year vacation and force activities that just don't work right then.
    Unfortunate.
    This may not go down so well and not nice to say but, Natural Selection at work... which makes the huge hole her husband and family are left with that much harder to grasp. The "Sport" of it was lost on this woman before she ever stepped foot on this hike.

The tak-a-way; don't die trying to be your own hero.
    Last edited by Gepeto; 02-18-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Just wondering if these highly compensated folks carried high value life-insurance and whether the coverage changed in the last 6 months to a year?
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Save your judgments unless you know the woman's abilities, alpine experience, and mindset heading out.

I find it inspirational that a young woman would venture into such inhospitable environs. From what I gather she was quite experienced in alpine environments. She could have flown a private jet to St. Maarten and lounged on the beach, but that would deprive all the internet-mountaineers of their high-horse wouldn't it.
    #HughConwayMatters

That story is crazy.

It will be interesting to see what other details they release, like possible motive and her experience level. Without speculating too much, a high level of experience would kind of constitute a double edged sword, where she may have possessed the necessary skills but also should have known to not be up there in those conditions. She was basically out there in poor Everest conditions minus the altitude. I dunno.

Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Not sure why she isn't getting a Darwin Award here. SAR should send the husband a bill for the rescue.
    You should go fuck yourself.

Edit: You should go fuck yourself you fucking pussy cuz when was the last time you put yourself in danger pushing your abilities. I suspect never because it's much easier to spew on the internet mmqb'ing.

2nd edit: bet you were shivering shoveling your driveway in Connecticut while she was attempting to traverse mountains in harshest of conditions.

So easy to be an expert on the internet. Anyone who has admonished the woman should be ashamed.
    Last edited by the Cock; 02-17-2015 at 10:22 PM.
    #HughConwayMatters

I don't know, being very experienced and only making it what- 6-8 hours before sounding an emergency beacon makes it seem like she got lost. Or she grossly underestimated how cold it was going to get, which anyone with internet or television knew up there and probably somethjng to check up on. Either way, not the time or place to fuck up.

Sorry for her family's loss. Just devastating.
    Decisions Decisions

Brilliant night out for skiing. Still skiing untracked perfect snow in town. Got a True 250 light, meant for MTB, but small. As a head lamp for skiing the thing rocks. Rechargeable via USB. 250 lumen. It's like day bright glades with a starry night sky and the town lights sparkling in the distance kind of night. 3 above and no wind in the dark now feels like beach weather. Sundays looking more interesting. Must.Keep.Skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post

Edit: You should go fuck yourself you fucking pussy cuz when was the last time you put yourself in danger pushing your abilities. I suspect never because it's much easier to spew on the internet mmqb'ing.

2nd edit: bet you were shivering shoveling your driveway in Connecticut while she was attempting to traverse mountains in harshest of conditions.

So easy to be an expert on the internet. Anyone who has admonished the woman should be ashamed.
    You spew more internet hate and verbal shit as much as anyone else... How's your glass house these days?

Aside from that its a tragedy and we all have choices given our abilities, circumstances, and experience. Not every good decision has a good outcome and not every bad decision has a bad outcome the mitigating factors are luck and experience
    You took too much man, too much, too much

I've hardly spewed any hate since November, get over me.

If the poor deceased woman had made it no one would know about her. Because she perished, everyone on the internet thinks they know what she did wrong and what she should have done.
    #HughConwayMatters

There you go half-Cocked...again. Btw, more people die shoveling snow each year in the US than while hiking. I'll even wager that more people die working themselves into a frenzy on the internet, pushing their abilities to put a few coherent thoughts together.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

0.1` bob with calm clear skies.

Busy as fuck with the house building project, owner flying in from sunny Sanibel tomorrow. The 90` difference in temp should feel good, going skiing next Monday for the first time in 20 years, I'll take pictures.

I went to bed early last night but had trouble sleeping. Fear kept me on top of the covers where I got cold and could not fall asleep. Made a call for help and after being reassured it was safe got between the sheets and fell asleep.

Tragic loss of life [as most is] in the mountains. Appears she had some skills and experience.

Kate Matrosova, 32, of New York City, was found between Mt. Madison and

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ain-hike-at-32

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...hiker-0218.jpg
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    That story is crazy.

It will be interesting to see what other details they release, like possible motive and her experience level. Without speculating too much, a high level of experience would kind of constitute a double edged sword, where she may have possessed the necessary skills but also should have known to not be up there in those conditions. She was basically out there in poor Everest conditions minus the altitude. I dunno.

Vibes
    Of the many thoughtful remarks, this one is both stern and considerate. I am somewhat less considerate and in this case, Columbo-like " I just ask myself a question, what about the motivation?"

It may turn out to be nothing more than extreme hubris, but there other things far less straightforward. Recalling Waterman, at least he left no doubt of his intentions.

I find it inspirational that a young woman would venture into such inhospitable environs. From what I gather she was quite experienced in alpine environments. She could have flown a private jet to St. Maarten and lounged on the beach.
    I agree with The Cock here. Its what I thought when I first read the story. What a miserable way to go though, condolences to the family.

NJFreeskier- Great Magic/Magic Stoke! They have been my go to VT tree ski as well.

Not notching anything close to that Presidential Traverse attempt, but fresh skiing in the VT bush continued to be great yesterday afternoon:

Nice viddy TC! Looks like the snowpack is settling in.