Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much snow does Masik Pass in North Korea get? Can't find it anywhere

They've got snow making machines all over so I'm guessing not a lot - but does anybody know?

I'm pretty sure information about N. Korea is a bit tough to find and then its veracity will be pretty questionable.

800in a year duh. North Korea is best Korea.

Hugh Conway Guest
    make sure to bring your weed in with you.

^ See.

I knew Hugh would have been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

As much as the brave leader wants.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ^ See.

I knew Hugh would have been there.
    it's tracked out now man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    it's tracked out now man.
    By none other than shredmaster Un himself. That's how he hurt his leg recently. Dude just HAD to get the first turns of the season in before anyone else. The worker running the snow guns has been promptly dispatched and replaced. His replacement is not too stoked about the fact that the temps just haven't been cold enough yet. Un said that was not a good enough excuse for the former snow make as true Korea has best snow. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I heard they shoot anyone who trespasses into the Supreme Leader's powder stash.

Make glorious nation through hard work snow much make ski happy fun time hour.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by calisnow View Post
    They've got snow making machines all over so I'm guessing not a lot - but does anybody know?
    A semi-serious (though extremely rough) guess just based on geography would probably be in the zone of 100-200" per year (to put it in skier units; Alta & Squaw get 500" on average) - but I could be completely and utterly wrong.

Reasoning:
    Winter is the dry season - most precip (+85%) is in the summer months there.
    That region gets westerly / nor-westerly flow from Siberia, which is cold and dry air.
    A quick look at some regional precip maps suggests that there isn't a huge amount of moisture passing that way in the months of Dec-Mar.
    There is some local topography to help with orographics (though not as big as the Sierra or regions in Colorado)
    Lots of snow guns sitting around in the pictures. Have not seen epic powder day conditions in any of the pics from the Masik - maybe they jut have bad PR people?

If you really want to try and work it out (without having ground based observations), you could have a look at results from high resolution global forecast models, reanalyses, snow products from AFWA and so on, but you'd still have to scale for local topography / conditions etc., or maybe even try the inverse problem and reconstruct snow based on visible imagery and energy... lots of work

If you get a real number, post it up.

Based upon the vegetation, and what BoO said, I suspect that 100-200" is a pretty good guess.

I am not sure why anyone would want to go to NK. I'd be afraid of being thrown in a work camp for somehow insulting the supreme gouted one.

If you are going for skiing alone, you should have your head examined.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

PM Dennis Rodman, he would know.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

How much snow would you like? They have all to manpower needed to pass shovelfuls for up to 300 miles.

That place does have 2,300 vert though.

Hmmm...
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Good question for the new Chinese overlords.
    Dear Flowing Alpy and TGR maggots,
    This season promises to be the best season ever at Masikyrong, and I would like to extend each of you a personal invitation to come ski our extensive terrain and experience the ultimate in luxury accommodations. Masikyrong truly is world class. As an extra incentive, I've asked our staff to offer a 30% discount on your entire stay to all persons showing a '16BBI sticker. This discount is something even Beaver Creek or Deer Valley cannot offer.

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.

Yours,
    Kim Jong-Un
    Supreme Leader, DPRK

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Dear Flowing Alpy and TGR maggots,
    This season promises to be the best season ever at Masikyrong, and I would like to extend each of you a personal invitation to come ski our extensive terrain and experience the ultimate in luxury accommodations. Masikyrong truly is world class. As an extra incentive, I've asked our staff to offer a 30% discount on your entire stay to all persons showing a '16BBI sticker. This discount is something even Beaver Creek or Deer Valley cannot offer.

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.

Yours,
    Kim Jong-Un
    Supreme Leader, DPRK
    Well, shit oh dear! Japan was great last year, and I truly do love Korean food....
    hmmm...
    Do you take Canadian $ on par? (currently $1CAD = $0.0032USD).
    Thank you for your time Supreme Leader.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I had no idea this place existed. Now I'm down a rabbit hole of shredding that sweet NoKopow

Cool video on it from CNN as well:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/travel...esort-gallery/

Dis is Putin.

I have been to North Korea. Dirty country. I suggest all dentists come to Sochi. Much better snow.

Putin out.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Doesn't look like he gets the concept. And shouldn't he have the bar down?
    Last edited by old goat; 02-06-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Might get more snow after they trigger the Nuclear Winter...

There's gotta be satellite data out there somewhere. I found this
    yesterday's snow water equivalent worldview link

Which looks promising, but it's clearly garbage if you zoom at your favorite local resort. Maybe the Nork satellites are higher quality

I found some other links that looked to be usable quality, but only have US snow depth.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

I don't get how N Korea is impoverished and at deaths door yet they ON THEIR OWN developed significant nuclear technology (enough to get sanctioned by the UN)