Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    spook Guest

schumacher's brain injury caused by helmet mounted gopro

wow, brutal. I hear he is home and basically a vegetable....but awake.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

this comment "Perhaps we could get to the bottom of this more quickly if everyone was to attach a second GoPro to their helmet, facing the mount."
    GSA may need 4 go pros though

hearsay and speculation

I call shenanigans
    The family is struggling to deal with the fact that their loved one sustained a major injury and want to blame someone other than poor Michael.
    There is no data in the article nor the link in the article, and everyone making the claims has no credentials to back up the idea.
    The only factual data point is that the lab is testing the helmet to make sure it was sound, and that they are looking into the possibility that the camera compromised the helmet.
    Not to say it's not possible, but until the data shows otherwise, the article says nothing of importance.
    Live

spook Guest
    i would say raising the possibility that the camera and/or mount weakened the helmet either prior to or on impact is something of importance. should it turn out to be true, it would be a pretty big deal for a lot more people than schumacher. and since ensa is the one doing the testing (and also concluded that the helmet material was fine, as was the camera) and as far as i can see at first glance not at the request of the family, it doesn't sound like the family is having a problem blaming poor old michael.

the headline is misleading for sure, but to say it says nothing of importance and blaming the family isn't any more honest.

If you hit your head real hard you might sustain some serious trauma. Go Pro or not, I can't imagine that a mounted Go Pro was the absolute cause.

spook Guest
    well, damn, bro! call ensa and tell them that you can't imagine it and then they'll stop looking!

spook Guest
    say, this isn't going to turn into a crossfit type freakazoid reaction by gopro lovers, is it? i mean, just because i would never set foot in a crossfit doesn't mean i don't own a gopro.

If you hit your GP camera real hard the attachment pieces fail or move pretty easily. A real good hard hit to the head is something a little different. I seriously think that it would be more of a pilot error than a gopro helmet cam induced injury.

Are No Data!!

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

And I don't need to call anyone. But bullshit always smells just like bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    There is no data...
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    If you hit your GP camera real hard the attachment pieces fail or move pretty easily. A real good hard hit to the head is something a little different. I seriously think that it would be more of a pilot error than a gopro helmet cam induced injury.
    i think the issue is what made the otherwise apparently fine helmet material shatter and then i guess subject his skull to the force. since they tested the material, i would assume that means they considered it unusual at least under the circumstances that his helmet broke into pieces. i would also assume that when the investigation concludes, the results will be made public, one way or another. i have no problem considering the possibility without "data" in the meantime. because it's interesting.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    And I don't need to call anyone. But bullshit always smells just like bullshit.
    holy shit, man! if you've discovered that then you will be a rich rich man who will reshape the united states as we know it.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

median quality contribution from a below median quality contributor. way to reach for the stARRs, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    holy shit, man! if you've discovered that then you will be a rich rich man who will reshape the united states as we know it.
    I won't be reshaping anything. Still.......bullshit. If his helmet exploded it sure as fuck wasn't because he had a gopro on. He nailed his mullen and that is that. Sure, I'm just going on my gut but whatever.

This is sort of like trying to say that my leg broke because I was wearing a ski boot and not because I was going 50 mph down a steep slope and ate shit hitting a tree.

spook Guest
    sort of like

Both USSA and FIS made it illegal to race with a gropro mount or any other obstruction on top of the helmet, well before the Schumacher incident. Something along the line that the mount itself can cause a focal point upon impact that negates the dispersive force of the helmet, leading to a greater force and trauma upon impact.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Pure speculation on his son's part. There is no professional opinion involved here. The argument that it created a pressure point at the mounting site is negated by the fact that a rough or small rock (like he hit) would create a pressure point as well and reduce the effectiveness of the helmet regardless of whether or not a gopro was involved.

From the article: "The laboratory has been testing to see if the camera weakened the structure." which means they have no evidence yet that this is the case.

next they'll blame some fool's teeth getting knocked out by those stupid mouth held mounts.

title should read "schumachers head injury caused by narcissistic douchebaggery", because really in the end that's all gopro's are good at, feeding narcissism.

that said, get well schumie and jules, the world wants to see you both in the paddock again soon

Quote Originally Posted by fortort View Post
    small rock
    Small rocks aren't listed on the NASDAQ and don't heavily market a product to attach to top of ski helmets. (Or one that interferes with avy beacons)

So not much is

negated
    When faced with millions of $s of healthcare costs.

Or the damage suffered to either the business of being Michael Schumacher or his possible future career(s).

I hope they take GoPro for every $ they can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Small rocks aren't listed on the NASDAQ and don't heavily market a product to attach to top of ski helmets. (Or one that interferes with avy beacons)

So not much is

When faced with millions of $s of healthcare costs.

Or the damage suffered to either the business of being Michael Schumacher or his possible future career(s).

I hope they take GoPro for every $ they can get.
    So your argument is that because they are a big company then it must be their fault? My only point is that this is just sensational journalism until any evidence that it actually was the camera is shown. How do you know the camera caused the helmet to fail and not the rock he hit? What's the difference in hitting the GoPro and hitting a rock with the same surface area as a GoPro?

Whenever I'm looking for a precise engineering analysis, I always ask a 15 year old kid.

Quote Originally Posted by fortort View Post
    What's the difference in hitting the GoPro and hitting a rock
    Yes. No doubt that will likely be be the main thrust of GoPro's defense in any lawsuit. If one happens. Can't blame the family or his insurers from investigating

any evidence that it actually was the camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

there has been a couple paragliding deaths caused by lines getting caught around go pro mounts, & the mount didn't rip off. Those mounts are surprisingly strong.