Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    No guests this year, which has pros and cons. Biggest pro (apart from not running the risk of inadvertently killing my mom) is that I finally get to make and eat the only 3 things I care about: taters, gravy, stuffing, the end.

I spatchcocked an 11# turkey and dunked it in a 3 qts of buttermilk & salt brine per Samin Nosrat recipe from the NYT. It's too bad we only cook a whole turkey once a year. There are so many good options, between dry brine, salt water brine, bbq, roast, sous vide, smoke, etc. I don't understand why people don't like turkey. I mean chicken probably tastes a little better and it's a lot easier to cook well but I think turkey is delicious if it's done right. A friend of mine summed it up pretty well, He likes it because it's like chicken but just a little different...

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    No guests this year, which has pros and cons. Biggest pro (apart from not running the risk of inadvertently killing my mom) is that I finally get to make and eat the only 3 things I care about: taters, gravy, stuffing, the end.
    We do every other year without guests anyway - and this was my year (no guests) even pre-plague.
    make everything we want, nothing we don't. perfect.

I see you working. +1.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    We do every other year without guests anyway - and this was my year (no guests) even pre-plague.
    make everything we want, nothing we don't. perfect.

I see you working. +1.
    I wish you didn't, but alas.. Fed Minutes

Keeping it quaint this year, just the two of us, but first time to not do a whole turkey. I picked up a nice 5lb netted turkey breast, it's currently brining with mulling spices & fresh rosemary added. I'm doing the slow-cooker route (also first time) while we enjoy a nice Thanksgiving hike with the dogs (whoa did I just say that).

Side dishes include lingonberry sauce, fresh buttered mashers w/gravy, my grandmother's green bean recipe done béchamel style, and brioche rolls, paired with a couple of mature bottles of rioja.

I will also prepare and thus drink Basil Hayden Mitch Morgans during food prep.....because FU 2020.

Peppermint bark and/or swedish fish for dessert
    Last edited by Jax; 11-25-2020 at 06:55 PM. Reason: dessert not desert

Having adult kids is fun- they party with me now. I'm leaving work in a few minutes and they'll be there waiting at my house. Tonight will be a bonfire and a few cocktails as we catch up. Tomorrow having some relatives come by to have a drink out back (well distanced. Supposed to be 62 and breezy). Even the ex is going to stop by. Just doing a basic bird. We've tried a bunch of different fancy methods over the years, but last year we did just salt and pepper in the cavity and oven roasted. It came out great.

Happy Thanksgiving, fuckers.

you too fucker
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    It's too bad we only cook a whole turkey once a year. There are so many good options, between dry brine, salt water brine, bbq, roast, sous vide, smoke, etc. I don't understand why people don't like turkey.
    People associate turkey with several days of boring uninspired leftovers of dry turkey meat. Add to that people conforming to the expectation of several side dishes and it's easy to see why people start looking to alternatives.

Just do smaller turkey dinners, you can eat it year round!

I eat a lot of turkey

Bird in a water brine of salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, fresh rosemary, and fresh lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I eat a lot of turkey
    Heh yeah there's that too!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Went to friends for the big day so slid this spatched guy on the pellet grill today.
    Attachment 305242
    Nice s’cock...

How’s ya dispatch the spine?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Doing a solo Thanksgiving this year. I'm most thankful for the fact that I'm not related to (or friends with) anyone selfish, tone deaf, and self-centered enough to think getting together for the holiday is in any way acceptable.

Masks are required on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Can it still be called stuffing if there is no bird and it is not put and cooked it the cavity?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Can it still be called stuffing if there is no bird and it is not put and cooked it the cavity?
    Cavity search!

you too fucker

not clicking on that

Click on it!

It will help you, motherfucker

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-26-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: trying to help this motherfucker

nah I can already tell what it is and I’m just not interested in Karen videos

fkn way played out

Well then, Mr Antilaughter, this epic follow up is for any other motherfuckers who watched the first one

roasting music

https://youtu.be/m57gzA2JCcM

a Thanksgiving tradition

roasting music

https://youtu.be/m57gzA2JCcM

a Thanksgiving tradition
    Need to get in a HIIT workout and a hike this morning, then it's time to queue up that gem and enjoy some day drinking.

but he's trying to help you, motherfucker.

So we kinda went off the rez here with the turkey this year a little bit, it's gonna be interesting. 22-pound bird, spatchcocked it, and it's been sitting in a brine of salt and buttermilk for about 60 hours now. I'm gonna take it out after I finish this cup of coffee, wipe it off and let it sit out for about 3 hours then it goes in a 450 oven for 20 minutes, then turn it, baste it, and reduce it to 350 with a meat thermometer in it and then turn it up to brown (if it's not brown already) towards the end. We're figuring about 2 hours cooking time but who knows.

We'll see what happens. I've spachcocked shit before, and buttermilk brined things before, but never either one for a turkey.

But really it doesn't matter, because I managed to spatchcock this thing with a cleaver without cutting my hand off so it's a win already.

And tunes to drop after the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    but he's trying to help you, motherfucker.

So we kinda went off the rez here with the turkey this year a little bit, it's gonna be interesting. 22-pound bird, spatchcocked it, and it's been sitting in a brine of salt and buttermilk for about 60 hours now. I'm gonna take it out after I finish this cup of coffee, wipe it off and let it sit out for about 3 hours then it goes in a 450 oven for 20 minutes, then turn it, baste it, and reduce it to 350 with a meat thermometer in it and then turn it up to brown (if it's not brown already) towards the end. We're figuring about 2 hours cooking time but who knows.

We'll see what happens. I've spachcocked shit before, and buttermilk brined things before, but never either one for a turkey.

But really it doesn't matter, because I managed to spatchcock this thing with a cleaver without cutting my hand off so it's a win already.
    Have no fear. That's a winning combo.

You just brute force the ribs/spine with a stout knife, or does a 22lb bird require something more industrial? Never spatched a cock that big.
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Yes. "Dressing" can GTFO. That's for salads.

But your question raises another:

Anyone ever butterflied and stuffed a big old turkey breast? You see that with chicken breasts at the grocery store, of course, but I've never tried one. If only there was some sort of engine that would allow me to search the internet...