Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I'll see your turkey and raise you:

Mashed potatoes made
    Pie in the oven
    Green beans blanched
    Cornbread for stuffing made
    ^^^ Not getting laid. Doesn't care.

Sad. Dessert was so so.

Sorry about your sad dessert! My creme brûlée was lovely.

Getting laid and caring (hoping everyone did and does) notwithstanding, how did everyone's birds come out?

I smoked half of an 18 pounder and sous vide'd the other half. As nice as the smoky flavor is, I think I'm going all sous vide next year. It's so easy (brines itself through the long cook) and comes out absolutely ridiculous moist and perfectly done, light and dark meats alike, and the flavor is terrific (just not smoky).

I might try torching the skin after the bath instead of the broiler for a more even crust, but goddammit it's tasty and a big hit with the eaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Sorry about your sad dessert! My creme brûlée was lovely.

Getting laid and caring (hoping everyone did and does) notwithstanding, how did everyone's birds come out?

I smoked half of an 18 pounder and sous vide'd the other half. As nice as the smoky flavor is, I think I'm going all sous vide next year. It's so easy (brines itself through the long cook) and comes out absolutely ridiculous moist and perfectly done, light and dark meats alike, and the flavor is terrific (just not smoky).

I might try torching the skin after the bath instead of the broiler for a more even crust, but goddammit it's tasty and a big hit with the eaters.
    Turkey sous vide brulee?

Are you ready to Roast?

We did a dry brine of just salt and pepper on a free range organic bird. It was small enough we didn’t even bother to spatchcock it. Right before cooking we put a few pads of unsalted butter under the skin. High heat initially to get some color then lowered the heat.

Dry brined birds cooks so much faster. Our 10 lb one cooked in less than two hours.

Got some “best turkey I’ve ever had” comments from people.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Dry brined birds cooks so much faster. Our 10 lb one cooked in less than two hours.
    I hadn’t noticed that but will pay more attention next time

Really enjoy the dry brine birds

Re: timing
    I need to learn how to set the temp thermometer in the right spot the first time. The alarm went off after 1.5 hrs for a unstuffed 12.5# bird. I re-probed it to check and sure enough I found a colder spot. I’m a big fan of my temp alarm...so much more confident about cook timing

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    awright you....

Double batch of creme Brûlée made.
    Chocolate chip meringue cookies made.
    Turkey stock 14 hr simmer and jarred up.
    Two guest rooms cleaned and prepped.
    Dark bits of half the bird going into it's 24 hour bath shortly.
    Vacuumed, blahblahblah.

Sides are tomorrow's tasks cuz they'll turn brown if I do my mis en place now....

Happy Thanksgiving darlin'!
    Ooop, missed this when you posted! Guess I was too busy with my own prep. Sounds delightful! I'm sure a wonderful time was had by all.

My barbecued bird turned out perfect and right on time. Everything was just right.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I hadn’t noticed that but will pay more attention next time

Really enjoy the dry brine birds

Re: timing
    I need to learn how to set the temp thermometer in the right spot the first time. The alarm went off after 1.5 hrs for a unstuffed 12.5# bird. I re-probed it to check and sure enough I found a colder spot. I’m a big fan of my temp alarm...so much more confident about cook timing
    You really need 2 thermometers, on in the breast, the other in the legs. You're aiming for 155/185 at the exact same time before resting. If you spatch, you can just cut and remove the done parts and tent if you can't get them to hit at the same right time.

My 13.5 lb. bird was done cooking in under 2 hours. One day wet brine, 2 days dry brine. Fantastic.

When you dry brine after wet brinning, do you leave uncovered, tent or wrap it up?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    When you dry brine after wet brinning, do you leave uncovered, tent or wrap it up?
    Dry off completely, then spatched and tied up in the fridge uncovered.

I'm telling you kids, sous vide bird solves all these problems. And it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You really need 2 thermometers, on in the breast, the other in the legs. You're aiming for 155/185 at the exact same time before resting. If you spatch, you can just cut and remove the done parts and tent if you can't get them to hit at the same right time.

My 13.5 lb. bird was done cooking in under 2 hours. One day wet brine, 2 days dry brine. Fantastic.

The secret to a good bbq bird is to use a rotisserie.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Went to friends for the big day so slid this spatched guy on the pellet grill today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	305242

^^might have dated her once years ago.....

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Despite it all I'm still cooking but instead of eating together I will deliver meals. It's all good and it's still all the work. Just made cranberry sauce now onto pumpking pie and cornbread for the stuffing. Tomorrow is last minute grocery shopping, make-ahead mashed potatoes and brining the turkey. Thursday will be finishing the stuffing, roasting delicata squash and throwing the turkey on the grill.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I’m not a huge fan of turkey and am pretty meh on the traditional sides. I started an uprising and got the kids on board for a low country TGiving boil, but we got squashed by mom and granny. Deep fried turkey it is.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

ready for the oven!

Name:	pp.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	349590

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I’m not a huge fan of turkey and am pretty meh on the traditional sides. I started an uprising and got the kids on board for a low country TGiving boil, but we got squashed by mom and granny. Deep fried turkey it is.
    Have you ever tried that BBQ recipe I do? It's wonderful and the winter fruit chutney is amazing.

^^^love the veining in that counter!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    ready for the oven!

Name:	pp.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	349590
    Handsome!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    ^^^love the veining in that counter!
    I do too, that's cool.

I'm not sure why we're going all out for a dinner for 3, but we are. 10lb turkey (just dry brined it), pumpkin pie, and a few other dishes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

24lb bird in brine. Yeah parents bought the bird. I said "about 15lbs". Well apparently it was 12lb or 20+ so what you figure they did? I'll be surprised if cuomo doesn't send swat to my house. Btw 6 total people, all interacting since day one covid. Only 2 don't live in house, but 5 min away.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Gonna do roast duck breast for the two of us this year. We're not huge turkey fans and with no kids to please . . .

Rolled pork roast, with skin for crackling, picked up today from local butcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hard to find small birds around here. Asked my wife to get a 12-14lb, she came home with a 23 pounder, smallest she could find