Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You are going to be like WTF Santa, why did you wait so long???
    Right?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

You might want to open those early before cooking your Christmas dinner. Or peak in your stocking and replace them real quick.

And you don't need to spend top dollar on a thermapen when a $12 one from amazon works just as fast and well, and if your husband throws it away, NBD:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHHLB3W/
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I made an amazing turkey yesterday despite not being able to find our meat thermometer anywhere.

My husband is a great cleaner-upper helper after big meals etc so it’s hard to complain……But I almost started shedding a tear when I opened the trash and saw this.
    Attachment 394105

I had a moment of “should I just take it out and rinse it.”
    and I would be boiling the heck out of it anyway for the amazing soup I was planning to make today
    I couldn’t do it ☹️
    Maybe that's his way of telling you turkey sucks ass and turkey soup is even worse.

Do you want to get Santa to fill her stocking with shaving cream? Because that's how you get Santa to fill her stocking with shaving cream.

Just the two of us so we made a Turkey Roulade for T-giving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1637958237.807557.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	394128

Name:	Image1637958257.194049.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	394129

I’m using my Thermoworks for brewing today.

Name:	Image1637958129.922293.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	926.4 KB 
ID:	394127

I got a Meater last year, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Did you make him sleep on the couch?
    Heck no- I hate the clean up/dishes part of hosting dinner, but he always happily takes it all on so I can’t ruin that. He also said the leftover containers were overflowing and I think he just lost steam at the end which I get
    Also in the past, I never would have kept it or made broth etc, but I took the last 6 months off and during that time I got really into cooking shows and cooking lol
    I had been mentally banking some follow up recipes but never articulated that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Oh, c'mon, this is in home dumpster diving!
    Haha- I think you and oftpiste were right.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Maybe that's his way of telling you turkey sucks ass and turkey soup is even worse.
    No chance at all. It was amazing.

And thank you KQ et al for the meat thermometer recs. I’ve always just used the ones from the kitchen aisle in the grocery stores but with my newly discovered love of cooking, I think I should upgrade.
    skid luxury

You will love the thermopen
    I also have the chef’s alarm & that thing rocks too

Thanksgiving part deux today

Name:	Image1638030724.959119.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	394224

Smoke roasted bone-in pork loin roast

You guys are killing it these year. Wow.

yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Smoke roasted bone-in pork loin roast

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I made an amazing turkey yesterday despite not being able to find our meat thermometer anywhere.

My husband is a great cleaner-upper helper after big meals etc so it’s hard to complain……But I almost started shedding a tear when I opened the trash and saw this.
    Attachment 394105

I had a moment of “should I just take it out and rinse it.”
    and I would be boiling the heck out of it anyway for the amazing soup I was planning to make today
    I couldn’t do it ☹️
    I would dumpster dive that.

Made a small batch of Turkey soup this year.
    Not the whole carcass. Just the large leg bones
    Delicious. And less volume.

Liking the brine recipes. Will give that a try next time.
    . . .

Time to start thinking about thawing your turkey - don't forget to add a day if you're going to brine overnight.

The USDA recommends thawing your turkey in the refrigerator. This is the safest method because the turkey will thaw at a consistent, safe temperature. This method takes some time, so allow one day for each 4 - 5 pounds of weight. If your turkey weighs 16 pounds, it will take about four days to thaw.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I don't bother with a full bird. Frozen breast. Still takes a few days. I usually put it in the fridge on Monday afternoon.

I am swearing off turkey this Thanksgiving, going w cioppino instead. Turkey breeders have completely eliminated any significant turkey taste so 'eff them.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I don't bother with a full bird. Frozen breast. Still takes a few days. I usually put it in the fridge on Monday afternoon.
    I'm cooking one this year for the first time (I've cooked plenty of whole turkeys in the past). Any special tips?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Turkey sucks, eat something better

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    If you do turkey right, it's fucking delicious. Most turkey sucks, though.

Are you ready to Roast?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Mole, turkey mole

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm cooking one this year for the first time (I've cooked plenty of whole turkeys in the past). Any special tips?
    Don't overcook it. USDA temperature recommendations are written to the lowest common denominator. 165* is the "instant kill" temp, but pasteurization is a function of both temperature and time. At
    150* all pathogens are dead in 3 minutes, and even at 140* all pathogens are dead in 30 minutes. It takes a while for a whole turkey breast to go from 140->150, and it's a big piece of meat that is going to stay hot for a while, so you'll be comfortably past those 3-minute/30-minute benchmarks. So, cook it to around 147-148*, let carryover take it it to 150*, and enjoy the juiciest most delicious fuckin' turkey you've ever had. There is absolutely zero risk of anyone getting sick. If you don't trust me on that, Serious Eats has covered this topic in excruciating detail multiple times.

This advice applies equally to whole birds, but it's a bit trickier to pull off since dark meat needs to be cooked to higher temperatures. With just a breast it's a no-brainer.

I have found that cooking chickens to 150 and holding for awhile keeps them juicy and there’s no pink
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I’m practicing tonight. Garlic, Rosemary, butter crusted standing rib roast. It’s a special occasion. Burning the mortgag. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1668804847.490415.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	434516

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Drape it in bacon, assuming you don't follow a Kosher diet. A 'placemat' weave works well. Anchor with toothpicks. But, if you're lazy and just lay it over, it works too.

I often spatchcock it, even though it's just the two breasts and the chest cavity. Spatchcock plus bacon for the win. Bonus if you put the bacon under the skin.

Don't dry it out. But don't undercook it either. 150 is too low for me, those guys are crazy. 162 and let it carry is more my liking. The spatchcock helps with more even cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Drape it in bacon, assuming you don't follow a Kosher diet. A 'placemat' weave works well. Anchor with toothpicks. But, if you're lazy and just lay it over, it works too.

I often spatchcock it, even though it's just the two breasts and the chest cavity. Spatchcock plus bacon for the win. Bonus if you put the bacon under the skin.

Don't dry it out. But don't undercook it either. 150 is too low for me, those guys are crazy. 162 and let it carry is more my liking. The spatchcock helps with more even cooking.
    It’s not crazy, it’s science

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums