Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    We had fried turkey at our wedding reception. FIL killed it, 5 birds, 2 fryers, didn't burn the place down.. Best turkey I ever ate..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I am swearing off turkey this Thanksgiving, going w cioppino instead. Turkey breeders have completely eliminated any significant turkey taste so 'eff them.
    Not true, we get a fresh bird and it tastes incredible using KQ's recipe

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Not true, we get a fresh bird and it tastes incredible using KQ's recipe

You have no idea how good turkey can be (or really was) if you have to go through all that to make it palatable. The breeders have forgotten about taste in order to maximize conversion of feed to meat. And it has nothing to w fresh, local, free range, organic, or any other label it's all in the breeding and the focus on maximizing profits for the grower and retailer. It's big Ag at its worst looking to satisfy the majority of people that insist on the cheapest food possible.

You have no idea how good turkey can be (or really was) if you have to go through all that to make it palatable. The breeders have forgotten about taste in order to maximize conversion of feed to meat. And it has nothing to w fresh, local, free range, organic, or any other label it's all in the breeding and the focus on maximizing profits for the grower and retailer. It's big Ag at its worst looking to satisfy the majority of people that insist on the cheapest food possible.
    Maybe you should buy from a small local farmer. We have a farm here that sells bronze turkeys.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

^^this. Small farms with heritage breeds of turkeys. $7.99 a lb instead of $.99 though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Maybe you should buy from a small local farmer. We have a farm here that sells bronze turkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    ^^this. Small farms with heritage breeds of turkeys. $7.99 a lb instead of $.99 though.

The vast majority of people have no idea how good turkey can be. I've raised my own turkeys, bought every single local turkey I could find, heritage breeds, paid the big bucks......been there, done that. The flavor is GONE. The old time, small breeders are gone as are the genetics that they maintained.

I love eating turkeys but at some point it's not worth the effort for the flavor........ymmv.

Well, thx for stopping by
    It was nice to hear you shitting all over our holiday meal

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    So you're saying humans are on the menu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Long Pig

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Austin-Powers-in-Goldmember-Fat-Bastard.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	434864

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Well, thx for stopping by
    It was nice to hear you shitting all over our holiday meal

I'm sure your Thanksgiving turkeys will be delish and you'll have a wonderful day. Bon Appetit!

The vast majority of people have no idea how good turkey can be. I've raised my own turkeys, bought every single local turkey I could find, heritage breeds, paid the big bucks......been there, done that. The flavor is GONE. The old time, small breeders are gone as are the genetics that they maintained.

I love eating turkeys but at some point it's not worth the effort for the flavor........ymmv.
    Have you ever stopped to think that maybe as you've gotten older that perhaps your taste had diminished? What I'm saying is... perhaps it's not the bird.... it's you.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

So, will be taking my frozen turkey breast out of the freezer momentarily. I am definitely doing bacon under the skin this year. Trying to decide if I want stuffing AND bacon under the skin. And if I do that, do I want to keep the bacon whole or cut it up in the stuffing? FWP, right?

yer overthinking it. kiss

rack of goat

Name:	Image1669080724.335924.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	434936

Name:	Image1669080734.250022.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	434937

Name:	Image1669080743.231526.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	434938
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Damn, where did you score that? Around here you have to buy the whole goat and take care of cutting
    How you gonna prep it?

Are you ready to Roast?

halal butcher in Sac $20

I’m going to marinade it in some apple cider vinegar with fermented garlic and chili paste

So, will be taking my frozen turkey breast out of the freezer momentarily. I am definitely doing bacon under the skin this year. Trying to decide if I want stuffing AND bacon under the skin. And if I do that, do I want to keep the bacon whole or cut it up in the stuffing? FWP, right?
    You do both and the skin will sit on top like a bad toupee.
    Bacon only, laid in strips
    Oysters in the stuffing

Seeing as it's usually only the wife and I (grom switches houses each year), I've been getting the turkey breast roast from costco and doing that. It's been bang on for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    You do both and the skin will sit on top like a bad toupee.
    Bacon only, laid in strips
    Oysters in the stuffing
    My wife will kill me and then divorce me, in that order, if I put seafood anywhere near thanksgiving dinner. I like being alive and I like being married.

make an oyster and crab dressing on the side

The bird I am making tomorrow is from a line of birds that have been raised by this family since 1949. Their claim to fame is how legit their birds are. I bought one last year and everyone thought it was amazing. I think you would love it.

Can you tell a significant difference between store bought and your local farms? Or you’re saying they are basically the same?

There are a bunch of people around here that raise meat goats. I’ve had some and been impressed with it. Usually kabobs or something innocuous though. I’ll have to try a rack. Looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Flavor seems to depend on breed as much as how it’s raised and what it’s fed. Bourbon Reds and Narragansetts are wiry fuckers with really dark dark meat and tiny breast that are like store-bought dark meat. Bronze and Whites are more like a cross between store bought and full yoga bird with bigger breast, whiter meat, and mellower flavor.

As a person that’s not a fan of turkey, I’ve found I prefer the latter and I’m not alone. There’s a reason flavorless, huge breasted birds are the norm and people go to great lengths to make turkey taste like something other than turkey.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Flavor seems to depend on breed as much as how it’s raised and what it’s fed. Bourbon Reds and Narragansetts are wiry fuckers with really dark dark meat and tiny breast that are like store-bought dark meat. Bronze and Whites are more like a cross between store bought and full yoga bird with bigger breast, whiter meat, and mellower flavor.

As a person that’s not a fan of turkey, I’ve found I prefer the latter and I’m not alone. There’s a reason flavorless, huge breasted birds are the norm and people go to great lengths to make turkey taste like something other than turkey.
    My cats love turkey. It's their favorite flavor over chicken and duck. This last year with the turkey shortage has been a bitch. Hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    make an oyster and crab dressing on the side
    This^^^

My wife will kill me and then divorce me, in that order, if I put seafood anywhere near thanksgiving dinner. I like being alive and I like being married.
    Remind her that the Wampanoag brought oysters to the first Thanksgiving and the words of Willie Bradford “you will eat them, and like it”