Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Pro Tip: When "Hasselbacking", lay a chopstick along side either side of the potato (or squash, in this case), and use it as a guard against cutting all the way through. That lets you cut all the way down to a consistent depth, and the bamboo is knife-safe, so you won't dull your edge.
    Thanks!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I’ve raised my own heritage birds in the past. Best tasting turkles evar!

I really wish I had two ovens.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Several times, I've done something of a combination of these two:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...recipe-1922607

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-turkey-233118

I like the herb butter under the skin; the frequent basting with the chicken broth and roasting with the veggies in the cavity. Keeps it nice and moist. Facilitates hanging out and drinking in the kitchen. Its pretty easy but a bit high maintenance.

Now that I've said something, I'll probably fuck it up this year.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

apparently there is no reason to worry about what you're going to cook - just call the Colonel and relax. Who knew T-day could be so easy?

How about "heirloom" turkeys. It seems like a marketing term and an equivalent to the heritage birds. But maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How about "heirloom" turkeys. It seems like a marketing term and an equivalent to the heritage birds. But maybe not?
    Truth in advertising: Heritage vs. heirloom turkeys

Thanks!

Interestingly, the heirloom is priced the same as the heritage

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Both are strictly a gimmick. I'm not aware of any certification but I'm sure some one is running the scam.

Why would anyone want a turkey that is tough as fuck and takes three times the resources to grow?

Crazy I bet most of the people who get this shit are Mother Nature living green types who are concerned with global warming. Idiots are eating a turkey with a much bigger footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Idiots are eating a turkey with a much bigger footprint.
    So the legs are bigger?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Lulz

Both are strictly a gimmick. I'm not aware of any certification but I'm sure some one is running the scam.

Why would anyone want a turkey that is tough as fuck and takes three times the resources to grow?

Crazy I bet most of the people who get this shit are Mother Nature living green types who are concerned with global warming. Idiots are eating a turkey with a much bigger footprint.
    The heritage bird I get is raised down the road from me. I know the person who raises it. I know how it lives and it doesn't have to travel across county to get to me.

I live a few miles from a large turkey farm. I got a free range organic bird for cheep

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I live a few miles from a large turkey farm. I got a free range organic bird for cheep
    Punny.

I studied this to death looking for a fact based advertising scheme for our small farm that sells mostly locally. I'd really love to be wrong about this.

Sadly the extra feed due to the poor feed conversation ratio in both of these types of production dwarf any savings you may get from them being local.

Good example is that imported rice from Asia or India has a much greener footprint than rice from Cali that relies on much more intensive production.

Its also a fact the greatest footprint having to do with "food miles" is us driving it home after we bought it.

All fine and good, but what if you really didn't give a shit about food miles or footprint and just wanted the best tasting bird?

What would you choose, seriously?

I studied this to death looking for a fact based advertising scheme for our small farm that sells mostly locally. I'd really love to be wrong about this.

Sadly the extra feed due to the poor feed conversation ratio in both of these types of production dwarf any savings you may get from them being local.

Good example is that imported rice from Asia or India has a much greener footprint than rice from Cali that relies on much more intensive production.

Its also a fact the greatest footprint having to do with "food miles" is us driving it home after we bought it.

Sometimes there is more to it - I'm supporting my local economy and friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    All fine and good, but what if you really didn't give a shit about food miles or footprint and just wanted the best tasting bird?

I've never done a side-by-side but I'm happy with the heritage birds I get.

Beef or pork

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Sometimes there is more to it - I'm supporting my local economy and friend.
    Nothing at all wrong with that.

I've never done a side-by-side but I'm happy with the heritage birds I get.
    Even the most exquisitely cooked turkey is kinda meh. IMO it's more about gravy/cranberries etc you eat with it. And leftover sandwiches...

Couple of years ago I bought a local, organic turkey from a nearby farm. It was hella expensive ($80 for 14 pounds or something like that), but I felt good about supporting the local food scene. I also bought a "natural" turkey at the regular supermarket (a step up from Butterball but not organic - cost $25 for the same size) and decided to do a taste test. Brined and roasted them both the same way, same recipe and everything (spatchcocked in the oven, rubbed with butter and herbs and such). Everyone universally preferred the supermarket turkey - it was more tender and the local turkey was a bit gamy and kind of stringy. Probably partially just because of what we're used to eating, but it was interesting to have some data. I still like supporting the local farms, just not by buying turkeys from them (their red meat, on the other hand, is the bomb).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Couple of years ago I bought a local, organic turkey from a nearby farm. It was hella expensive ($80 for 14 pounds or something like that), but I felt good about supporting the local food scene. I also bought a "natural" turkey at the regular supermarket (a step up from Butterball but not organic - cost $25 for the same size) and decided to do a taste test. Brined and roasted them both the same way, same recipe and everything (spatchcocked in the oven, rubbed with butter and herbs and such). Everyone universally preferred the supermarket turkey - it was more tender and the local turkey was a bit gamy and kind of stringy. Probably partially just because of what we're used to eating, but it was interesting to have some data. I still like supporting the local farms, just not by buying turkeys from them (their red meat, on the other hand, is the bomb).
    From experience, but not contemporaneous testing, I suspected this. Thanks for confirming!

And your bird was cheap compared to that Diesel bird Mike recommended.

From today's Parade magazine:

Balsamic Cranberry-Fig Compote

By ALISON ASHTON

MAKES
    3 cups

ACTIVE TIME
    10 min.

TOTAL TIME
    35 min.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup water
    1 orange, zested and juiced
    1 cup dried figs, chopped
    1 cup sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    10 oz fresh or frozen cranberries
    2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    Pinch of salt

DIRECTIONS

In large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in orange juice and figs. Let stand 15 minutes. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sugar and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Add cranberries. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries start to burst. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, orange zest and salt. Cool completely; transfer to a jar. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.

Makes 3 cups.

Western Daughters in Denver.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.