Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    turkey in the brine......

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    turkey in the brine......
    Just made my brine - cooling now! Funny, when I was preparing it I wondered how many other mags were doing or had done the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417024233.637656.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	160801.

a frw
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Brining tonight... going with some beer in there
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Brine is ready. Picking the turkey up from the turkey lady in an hour. I look forward to her now-traditional disgust when I tell her I'm deep frying.

I think I've said this every year, but roasting is for suckers. Don't even get me started on grilling and smoking. 😀
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    the turkey lady
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Mom is making a batch of weed cookies for the feast.

I plan on eating way too much of them

Sent from one of those fancy cellular telephones
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Mom is making a batch of weed cookies for the feast.

I plan on eating way too much of them

Sent from one of those fancy cellular telephones
    That's one awesome mom!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    That's one awesome mom!
    She thought anyone that smoked the pot was the spawn of satan till she married a pothead

Now it's cool all of the sudden
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    She thought anyone that smoked the pot was the spawn of satan till she married a pothead

Now it's cool all of the sudden
    So your dad is satan?

^^^I laughed. Recipe printed. First, make mom and step dad dinner and then get the brine going for the overnight soak. Have a happy Turkey Day guys and gals.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Bumpity-bump!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Heh "Miles Standish Stuffing". My wife is a Standish. He was her great grandpa x10.

Are you ready to Roast?

I worked with Miles Standish 11(?) at Castle Rock SP 20 years ago.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-06-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I went with a dry brine on my turkey last year and it was so freaking good. All the flavor and moisture of the brine without the weird texture you can get with a wet brine. Highly recommended. Overall cooking time went way down, too.

Kenji says don't brine, so I don't: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/b...-food-lab.html

This link contains a link to his dry brining technique.

I've posted this before - can't say enough about how wonderful it is esp. with a barbecued bird:

Winter Fruit Chutney
    Bon Appétit | November 1997

This cinnamon-and coriander-spiced chutney combines wine, raisins and citrus. Serve with the Barbecue Turkey with Maple-Mustard Glaze, or as an appetizer with goat cheese and crusty bread.
    Yield: Makes 3 cups

1/2 orange, peel and white pith removed
    1 1/2 cups dry white wine
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
    1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped dried pears
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped dried figs
    1/4 cup raisins
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
    2 small apples (about 8 ounces total), peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Using small sharp knife, cut between membranes of orange half to release segments. Set segments aside.
    Combine white wine and next 6 ingredients in large nonreactive* saucepan. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Strain mixture; discard solids.

Return liquid to saucepan. Add cranberries, pears, figs, raisins and ginger. Cover and simmer until fruit is tender, about 10 minutes. Add apples. Simmer until apples are just tender, about 15 minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in reserved orange segments. Transfer to bowl. Cover and refrigerate. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Kenji says don't brine, so I don't: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/b...-food-lab.html

This link contains a link to his dry brining technique.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. From the article you linked to:

Neither brining nor salting is 100% necessary if you use a thermometer and make sure you don't overcook your turkey, but they're good safeguards just in case.
    I like the brine I use from the recipe I linked above in the Winter Chutney Recipe. I'll have to pay closer attention this year and see if I can discern the flavors of the brine after all is said and done. The bird get's smoked and glazed so maybe not plus I use a heritage breed turkey which might mix things up too with regard to flavor and meat quality/texture compared to a white broad breasted turkey.

This is the brine:

6 quarts water
    2 large onions, quartered
    1 cup coarse salt
    1 cup chopped fresh ginger
    3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    4 large bay leaves
    4 whole star anise
    12 whole black peppercorns, crushed

I believe the dude at amazingribs.com gets deeply into the science of brining.

I smoke mine on the grill. Dry brine and butterball it first a day or two early and rub it with yummy herbs and oil before putting on the grill. Works great every time!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. From the article you linked to:

I like the brine I use from the recipe I linked above in the Winter Chutney Recipe. I'll have to pay closer attention this year and see if I can discern the flavors of the brine after all is said and done. The bird get's smoked and glazed so maybe not plus I use a heritage breed turkey which might mix things up too with regard to flavor and meat quality/texture compared to a white broad breasted turkey.

This is the brine:

6 quarts water
    2 large onions, quartered
    1 cup coarse salt
    1 cup chopped fresh ginger
    3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    4 large bay leaves
    4 whole star anise
    12 whole black peppercorns, crushed
    the one time I got a heritage bird, i ruined it by overcooking
    i need to try again sometime

but i think this year, i'm going to try a dry brine...the beer fridge can make room for a couple days

Over under on heritage bird other than cost?

Hasselback Butternut Squash with Bay Leaves

8 Servings
    For this holiday-worthy recipe, roasting the butternut with several bay leaves slipped between the slices results in a subtle aromatic backdrop for the chile glaze.

INGREDIENTS

1 large butternut squash or 2–3 small honeynut squash (about 3 pounds total)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    1 Fresno chile, thinly sliced
    ¼ cup pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    6–8 dried bay leaves

RECIPE PREPARATION

Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°. Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a large spoon. Using a peeler, remove skin and white flesh below (you should reach the deep orange flesh). Rub all over with oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast in a baking dish just large enough to hold halves side by side until beginning to soften (a paring knife should easily slip in only about ¼"), 15–18 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring chile, maple syrup, butter, and vinegar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high, stirring occasionally and removing chile as soon as desired heat level is reached (set aside for serving), until just thick enough to coat spoon, 6–8 minutes. Reduce heat to very low and keep glaze warm.

Transfer squash to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Using a sharp knife, score rounded sides of squash halves crosswise, going as deep as possible but without cutting all the way through. Return squash to baking dish, scored sides up, and tuck bay leaves between a few of the slices; season with salt and pepper.

Roast squash, basting with glaze every 10 minutes or so and using pastry brush to lift off any glaze in dish that is browning too much, until tender and glaze forms a rich brown coating, 45–60 minutes. Serve topped with reserved chiles.

Do Ahead: Squash can be roasted 4 hours ahead. Let cool until just warm; cover and store at room temperature. Reheat before serving.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Over under on heritage bird other than cost?
    Does Heritage Turkey Taste Better than Conventional in a Blind Taste Test?

Thanks. I'll check it out.

My wife was just taking about hasselback squash yesterday. Yum!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My wife was just taking about hasselback squash yesterday. Yum!
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Transfer squash to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Using a sharp knife, score rounded sides of squash halves crosswise, going as deep as possible but without cutting all the way through. Return squash to baking dish, scored sides up, and tuck bay leaves between a few of the slices; season with salt and pepper.
    Pro Tip: When "Hasselbacking", lay a chopstick along side either side of the potato (or squash, in this case), and use it as a guard against cutting all the way through. That lets you cut all the way down to a consistent depth, and the bamboo is knife-safe, so you won't dull your edge.