Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rad Maggot Camp Spots

Given the quantity of quality of adventuring that goes down in the boards, I have to believe mags have camped in way cooler locations than I've ever approximated. But to get this thread going, I thought I'd post some of the more memorable camping locations I've ever had the privilege of laying down my shitty $30 Army/Navy tent upon...

When I lived in Tahoe, I decided a solo road trip was in order after ski season, so I bought a tent on Craigslist and drove north to Oregon. Here was the first stop, in Deschutes National Forest, alongside some lake whose name I can't remember relatively near Mt. Bachelor. Beautiful morning, but tough night after realizing the tent I'd bought was meant for five people, and held no warmth when there was only one inside.

On the same trip, got a smaller two-man tent for $30 in Portland on my way to the coast. This was the first zone, somewhere south of Canon Beach down a goat trail, with not a soul in sight for 10 or 20 miles. The whole Oregon coast experience is overwhelming remote and the landscape just seems to engulf you. Seems like a good place to be on the lamb...

Couple days later, ventured up some random county road near Tillamook Bay and turned the 80th corner to come across this view. Parked the car right there and set up shop. Not bad!

This was towards the end of the trip, near the OR/CA border. Pulled off some random pullout off 101 and found this pretty epic car camping spot overlooking a huge rock with a cave in it. Made for a sweet sunset.

Drying out during a two-day paddle along the Saco River back in NH. Guess we were the only ones there not hoping to send it to the moon at a beachside rave with the UNF frat crowd, and/or party with groups of old men who would yell "dump 'em out!!!" constantly whenever we passed with my GF in the canoe.

Camp spot from a little bike-accessed pond in the White Mountains near North Conway.

Tried a little paddleboard camping as well on the coast of Maine, this to the uninhabited Little Chebeague Island in Casco Bay. Didn't anticipate spending the entire first afternoon paddling into the headwind and against the current, and almost losing all our bags as the chop got bigger and bigger. Luckily managed smooth paddling the following morning, found an awesome camp spot on the beach, and proceeded to paddle around casually while passing around the boxed wine...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Out scouting for Elk in the Uintas in Utah,

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

A bivy beneath the sharkstooth in RMNP

And the view:

Milky Way Over The Sharkstooth

marble canyon. turn off just before the national park on north rim of grand canyon. free camping and outragous views !!!

mahogany flat in death valley. its a rough 4x4 only road but an amazing small camp ground and totally worth it.
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Coast range BC. Mount Waddington in the distance

IMG_0151 by Aaron Diamond13, on Flickr

Revelation Mountains AK

IMG_9419 by Aaron Diamond13, on Flickr

DSC_0112 by Aaron Diamond13, on Flickr

Mount Crosson on the way to Foraker. Mount Hunter is front and center. Ski the Big 3 Expedition.Photo:Jordan White

IMG_6171 by Aaron Diamond13, on Flickr
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Sick Aaron! Knew someone was gonna come in and crush my list...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Ha! There's been more than a few times I would have traded those camp spots for some of your beach ones!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Google maps gps location of an amazing primitative spot on the middle fork of the willamette.

43.539626, -122.448263

Epic waterhole for swimming with amazing fishing, rope swing, covered camp spot and right on a oakidge mtb trail.

Very rad, Aaron.

Igloo, wife, hound. In Switzerland back when we were splitboarders. One of those disposable film cameras, can you tell? Just simple stuff here...

The dog sleeps in...

We'd cruise that stuff to our door...

Afternoons in the sun...

No shit, eh:
    Life is not lift served.

That's some Jeremy jones shit right there! How hard was it to make an igloo spacious enough for two? And where the hell in Swiss is this? Looks like some ak zone

AK? Nah, cruisy. You saw the dog and wife, right?

As for igloo size, ask Ed It's easy.

Where: After spending enough time in the crowds of Chamonix, you want to bail out of France for CH via Vallorcine, into Vallais, head to Oberwald at the very far end of the valley, park your car near a really small ski hill and skin your way south towards Pizzo Nero (that's a peak). It's that drainage. But this is nothing, that area is full of similar spots. It is a no brainer once you look at a map.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-24-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Nice igloo NB!
    More stoke, less shit.

Check out this permanent igloo. I walked past it on a summer hike in the mountains several years ago. No idea who owns it. Not saying where it is either

Life is not lift served.

Photo doesn't show it well at all, but Hairy Lemon Island in Uganda was a damn cool place to camp. As in, it's paradise.

And just 5 minutes downstream of this wee beastie

Great thread!

Eastern WA and the end of a long dirt road:

Nice, all.

Cooking dinner in the Grand Canyon:

North Cascades:
    Watson Lakes area

Shannon Ridge

Sahale

Baker

Ptarmigan Traverse
    Kool Aid Lake

Yang Yang Lakes

White Rocks Lakes

Olympics:
    Bailey Range Traverse

Blue Glacier Mt Olympus

Last edited by BaNosser; 11-13-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

damn dude that is some serious real estate...

this thread delivers
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    this thread delivers
    Fuckin right it does. Subscribed

Sub'd, so I remember to come back and post some prime ones. Great pics yall

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    As for igloo size, ask Ed It's easy.
    Ha, that's Lloyd there in the pics, ain't it?

A few places at the end of some bumpy roads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	161613   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	303 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	161614   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	320 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	161615   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	357 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	161616  

What is that spot in the last shot? Looks like a Cormac McCarthy scene in mex. Sick!