Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Heliskiing History Article?

I have for years been interested in the early history of helicopter skiing. For years the mainstream ski media has said that Hans Gmoser of Canadian Mountain Holidays fame “invented” heliskiing in British Columbia in the early 60’s. I have often wondered if this is true. The truth is that the first heliskiing ever done was in 1948.

Over the years I have researched and slowly gathered information and photos. This summer I finally sat down and wrote an article about who really was the first to use helicopters for skiing. Now the issue is where to publish this work. Obviously, I’d like to at least make a few coins for all my work. I have contacted most all of the major ski related magazines. They have either replied not interested, or not replied at all.

I’d like to ask folks here if this is an article that you’d like to see in one of the magazines or not. I’m trying to find out if there is interest that I can show to the editors.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Absolutely!

I'd have thought TheSJ would be all over it. But assume they don't have very deep pockets

And they'd do it far more justice than Powder or such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Not to burst your bubble, but have the magazines mentioned this book to you? Or do you know of it?

Take the snowiest mountains in North America, add two Austrian immigrants, an army of adrenaline-addicted skiers from around the world (kings, queens, billionaires, average people and everyday ski bums) and throw a helicopter into the mix for an unforgettable story of mountain adventure. Complete with archival and contemporary photos, this is the inside story of the people, thrills, accidents and innovations behind the evolution of a sport from a dangerous, ramshackle and lawless enterprise into a multi-million dollar industry offering reliable access to one of the world's most exciting forms of recreation.
    Have you been published before? How many words is it?

Yeah, that was a good research book.

I have had articles published in The Avalanche Review.

No, SJ apparently isn't interested, since they haven't replied to my emails or calls....

I don't care if it's in a magazine or somewhere else but it is something I would like to read. You should update this when it is available for us to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Y
    No, SJ apparently isn't interested, since they haven't replied to my emails or calls....
    I'm very surprised.

Of course office hours & roles might be somewhat relaxed at the moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Pretty impressive - only 2 years after the helicopter was licensed for civil use for the first time (Bell 47).

Although wouldn't be totally surprised if the military did the first heliskiing.

Hacksaw, email me. Or send me a PM

Go Hacksaw!

SJ is a much better venue for this than The Avalanche Review.

would https://skiinghistory.org/ be interested?

Is MW too crazy now to even help fund this? or it doesn't show him as #1, so he is not interested

I’d like to ask folks here if this is an article that you’d like to see in one of the magazines or not. I’m trying to find out if there is interest that I can show to the editors.
    While TGR may be best known for caustic and smug sniping characteristic of shallow and self centered boors who don't display the depth that would warrant an article of that weight, I'd be interested.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    While TGR may be best known for caustic and smug sniping characteristic of shallow and self centered boors who don't display the depth that would warrant an article of that weight, I'd be interested.
    Yeoouuuch! As a sarcastic fuck myself, I'd like to think I'm not automatically shallow as a result.

I don't see how anyone wouldn't be interested in this article as a skier. The first people doing this are the first to essentially teleport to the tops of peaks with new-ish sketchy-ass machines; how cool is that? Combine that fact with the lack of avalanche knowledge prevalent at the time, and I'd guess there are some crazy stories from the pioneering days. I'd like to also hear what the touring scene was back then as a comparison, when regulations started to reign in the industry, who where the first to do sketchy toe-ins, etc., etc.

I can't imagine the freedom the first pioneers had by pointing at whatever mountain (probably just glaciers at first, sure) they wanted to ski and making it happen.

I was just gonna say gl to OP and that I'd like to frame some of Gunder's Cascades pics for the home. Then i suddenly became self conscious..

"caustic and smug sniping characteristic of.."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Hacksaw, email me. Or send me a PM
    Check your PM's.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    would https://skiinghistory.org/ be interested?

Is MW too crazy now to even help fund this? or it doesn't show him as #1, so he is not interested
    Actually, Mike gave me a lot of info and photos. Ski History is on my list to contact....

reply from The Ski Journal coming to you via email.

Yeah, that was a good research book.

I have had articles published in The Avalanche Review.

Actually, Mike gave me a lot of info and photos. Ski History is on my list to contact....
    happy to help. I have some of the original atomic powder plus skis at my place. I also have a K2 "holiday" I think its one of the original rental skis that CMH used. I can take some pics if you need?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    happy to help. I have some of the original atomic powder plus skis at my place. I also have a K2 "holiday" I think its one of the original rental skis that CMH used. I can take some pics if you need?
    Thanks Dave, but for now I don't need any ski pictures. Mainly I have been looking for 1940's -1950's heliski helicopter photos. Their hard to find. Some of them would blow your mind.

I saw B as I was coming into Avalanche Diva night in Banff. You should have joined us ( they let the guys in after 9pm), it was a lot of fun.

I would find it interesting. I took the time to do the research in my own area (Crested Butte), if anyone is interested: http://14erskiers.com/blog/2014/01/c...le-heliskiing/

^^ That was a cool read.. I remember you posted it last year.

Coal basin is for sale.. fyi
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yes, I saw that on 14er's. I also have a phyiscal brochsure from back in the day.

Don't forget to talk about plane assisted skiing...pretty sure that came before the heli.
    @blackopsvaldez

I'd pay to read your article.

Bill Janss pretty much pioneered Cat skiing in North America.

Janss had snowcats take prospective clients up Snowmass's Big Burn to show them lots, that sold for 10K.
    Many were Texan's that couldn't ski powder, so they skied back down the cat track. Hence the name, Dallas Freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Ops Valdez View Post
    Don't forget to talk about plane assisted skiing...pretty sure that came before the heli.
    That might be another stand alone article. I do mention fixxed wing skiing in Europe, during the early 50's.

Heliskiing History Article?

I would talk to the folks at Coastal Helicopters and Ward Air in Juneau. They've been flying Maynard Miller around for his Juneau Icefield Research Program for a long time.

Also check out JIRP's website. Not recreational, but they've been skiing across the Icefield with fixed wing and rotor assistance since 1948.

http://juneauicefield.com/history/
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.