Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MP3 players

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Thanks, but I'll have to pass. Funny timing; found out an hour ago i'm moving, and plan to set up my system differently in the new place.

Thanks though!
    No worries. Anyone else looking for a 120GB? Will go on ebay on Monday so speak now or forever hold your peace.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Archos was such a "french" thing. All the boxes checked, funky styling, shit distribution in the US.

used one of the later diamond's for biking/skiing/whatever, great player for that. wish I'd saved all of the playlists over time I'd had on the succession of players, would be an interesting snap shot

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Archos was such a "french" thing. All the boxes checked, funky styling, shit distribution in the US.
    Oh yeah, and it used the windows filing system so finding a song took forever, but it had decent sound, could be run on AA batteries in a pinch, and fuckin 20gigs of music was a lot in 2002, especially at 1/2 the price of the iPod back then. Our audio guy turned me into it back in the day and the thing STILL works just fine.
    Last edited by Tippster; 10-11-2014 at 07:25 AM.

I dug up my 80gb Zune the other day and decided to give it another shot at not sucking. Took me a few days to finally track down the cord to charge it. Got it up and running tonight. Instantly was reminded of how much that software sucks donkey balls...BIG donkey balls! I'm gonna see if my son can hack the shit out of it so I can use it as an external hard drive. It's a shame because the physical unit is actually really nice.

Side note on my iriver ihp140. I thought I had lost it or it was stolen for nearly a year. One day getting out of my car, I spot it resting on the outdoor side of the window sill. I must have put it there and forgot it. It was outside in all the elements, heavy rains, heat, snow, etc. for easy 8+ months. I brought it inside, let it rest for about 2 months, plugged it in and it works like a charm. Now my 13 y/o son has discovered it and thinks it's the coolest player he has ever seen and has pretty much adopted it as his own.... Time to look out for another good deal.

I've got an iriver ihp120 that I've been meaning to put on eBay. Apparently the live music recorders like these things because they'll record in lossless format.

Anyone interested? I think I have everything it came with - case, remote, mic...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

MP3 players

my first combo player/phone 99 song library if memory serves me right Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1413436353.962294.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	159072
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I've got an iriver ihp120 that I've been meaning to put on eBay. Apparently the live music recorders like these things because they'll record in lossless format.

Anyone interested? I think I have everything it came with - case, remote, mic...
    Any interest in trading for a black gen 6 ipod 80gb with Rockbox on it? I'm pretty sure I have the otterbox hardshell case for it.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Any interest in trading for a black gen 6 ipod 80gb with Rockbox on it? I'm pretty sure I have the otterbox hardshell case for it.
    Sending PM...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Sending PM...
    Responded.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Seems like a good thread to bump.

what are the options these days for portable music other than smart phones? it looks like apple only sells an ipod touch for $200, they don't sell little ipods anymore?

Kiddo's old ipod just bricked, and the even older one we had bricked too. Need something small to plug into speaker unit in her room. Just needs to play mp3s, doesn't have to be an ipod.

I guess most people now have music on their phones, but we don't have a phone for her.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Look into the FIIO players. Great sound and reasonable prices.

There's still a lingering market for them, so a few companies are making them.

MP3 players

For small speaker you have to have Bluetooth now. Don’t even consider hard connection. iPod touch or even better, iPhone SE set to music player paired to a speaker. Other than that the old nano 7th is pretty sweet.

With iPhone SE you have an excellent phone ready to go at anytime.

iPhone SE $50

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273791590370

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

what are the options these days for portable music other than smart phones? it looks like apple only sells an ipod touch for $200, they don't sell little ipods anymore?

Kiddo's old ipod just bricked, and the even older one we had bricked too. Need something small to plug into speaker unit in her room. Just needs to play mp3s, doesn't have to be an ipod.

I guess most people now have music on their phones, but we don't have a phone for her.
    Personally, this one's on my radar right now: http://mentalfloss.com/article/59941...ersary-walkman
    Love the design and having had several recent Walkmans, I'll tell ya that they're top notch. Hi-Res audio, great onboard amplification and DAC, and they just feel so nice. They smoke any iWhatever, I'll tell ya that. Not as cheap, though.

just picked up a gen 1 iPod touch off ebay for $8..... seems to work just fine.

MP3 players

I also use an iPod shuffle with audio out in my car. Works great. I get titles!

I have 7 iPod shuffle’s with different mix on a power station. Grab one and go. I was buying these new for $25 a few years ago. They are $100 new now. I love the simplicity. Find them local on Craigslist or Facebook market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1569096632.769816.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	294836

So I’ve used iPod nanos for years but now they’re discontinued. So, switched to this and have been happy, especially as it’s a fraction of the price of a nano.
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Comp.../dp/B07HQH3BSL

Was looking for a cheap little unit that I wouldn't have to worry about wrecking while hiking in the rain or ski touring in wet conditions.

This little thing works pretty good. Rip off of the Sandisc Clip Sport with a bit better functionality, battery life (about 30 hours) and has a separate, distinct, manual locking switch (important feature imo). Audio qaulity is so/so.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For audiophile quality listening I use the bigger, heavier more expensive Cowon X9. Great sound, about 100 hours of music playing batt life, lots of sound tailoring options and has a touch screen.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Master of mediocrity.

I'm still using my old iPods. Ipod shuffle touch 16gb for skiing/biking and a classic 5.5 for work and my docking speakers at home. The 5.5 is by far the best one with the wolfson dac into some higher end headphones. Both still have great battery life. If the battery ever dies I'll get it replaced with a 60hr one and a big ssd.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Man I wondered why in hell this thread got bumped. Was ready to bag on someone and their iPhone 11 being fragile.

Pawn shops and eBay are probably going to be your friend here. My flatmate and frequent skiing/riding buddy keeps an old iPod shuffle clipped to the earflap of his helmet.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

How about an older iphone someone has laying around? Set it up as a touch.

I just sold a Nano 7th gen when we replaced it with a Garmino Vivoactive 3 Music for my lovely wife's workout tracking. 500 song capacity built in for bluetooth. Too bad - could have sent the nano your way.

We use an old nexus 5x android phone for this. It broke and won't connect to the cell network so it's worthless as a phone but works great with bluetooth and wifi. We just leave it sitting on the counter plugged in and connected to the stereo receiver via bluetooth.

With that in mind, there are tons of pretty cheap android devices. Even a cheap Kindle would probably work well. The fact that an old android phone or tablet does all the other things (social media, web browsing, etc) might be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    We use an old nexus 5x android phone for this. It broke and won't connect to the cell network so it's worthless as a phone but works great with bluetooth and wifi. We just leave it sitting on the counter plugged in and connected to the stereo receiver via bluetooth.

With that in mind, there are tons of pretty cheap android devices. Even a cheap Kindle would probably work well. The fact that an old android phone or tablet does all the other things (social media, web browsing, etc) might be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for.
    Great point. You can pick up a used late model amazon fire for like $35. Wouldn't that work? Not certain though since I've never owned one.
    Last edited by beece; 09-24-2019 at 10:49 AM.

How about an ancient chrome book connected to an external drive?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague