Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Berthoud Pass 2014-2015 Observations, Conditions And Stoke

Didja miss us? We're baack!

FOBP class calendar is up: http://berthoudpass.org/what-we-do/classes/ Stay tuned for updates.

Has nitro slid already?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Not sure about Nitro, but I saw three crowns from natural releases in the 90s this morning. Two are almost center in the photo, in neighboring chutes, and the third is to the right below Launching Pad (?).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1114140702.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	160306

How is it out there? Any reports?

Was up yesterday. Pretty damn good for November. Busy though, and still thin for sure.

Someone put a line down Rush 2. It looked fucking sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Was up yesterday. Pretty damn good for November. Busy though, and still thin for sure.

Someone put a line down Rush 2. It looked fucking sketchy.
    Nothing good ever happens within sight of the parking lot. This is the kinda shit that has convinced me that their is a certain type of skier that is incapable of making good decisions. Unfortunately, I just keep my head down and try to get away from the idiots. I really is an early season phenomenon however, once the resorts open more terrain is really mellows out.

But yeah, some places have a bunch of coverage. Most don't. Ski slow and enjoy the time outside.

Saw that Rush track yesterday as well, nutty. We did a couple quick laps with pup yesterday. Imagine my suprise coming over the roll skier's left of the fence on Mainline with dad and two kids booting up with their skis. Yikes!

Surprisingly good coverage this morning. Has changed a whole lot in 10 days.

So I'm going to go full JONG here and ask a question that will probably result in a bunch of grief, but...

What's the name of the zone that leads down the aqueduct (blue circle) in the attached photo? How about the bigger bowl below the aqueduct that funnels into a tighter shot through the trees and out to the parking lot (purple circle)?

I've skied them both a few times, so you wouldn't be giving up any secret spots, but I always believed from a safety perspective it's important to know the official names of these zones should something go wrong.

go upside down.

People pretty much call the whole area the 90s, but the little chute in blue is the top of Flume, The purple is Log Chute and Top Secret (I think). For rescue purposes, "skiers left in 90s" should suffice.

There is a lot of snow up there! Skied on the Pumphouse side this morning to stay out of the wind.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

thanks for the updates. was going to ask about the wind...
    F-R-O-double-G

its funny to realize that supposed "secret stashes" at Berthoud are named trails that people have skied for a very long time(75 years and counting). Its also shocking to know that you could be practicing very safe decision making while surrounded by dogs, packs of skiers/snowboarders with no avy gear, hikers in the skin track, skinners in the bootpack, and every single possible manifestation of colorado bro bra expert avy scientist/i know all the names here types..... Doesn't change the fact that we are all responsible for each other. I put my head down and try to ignore the circus, but am really shocked by the people that "should know better!" Tired of all the folks that come in here with the "it won't happen to me mentality" or airbag packs asking for change for a nickel. The problem is all of us, whether it be familiarity or ignorance.

Grow up, stay alive, learn more, practice more time tested techniques and attitudes, and please worry less about your skittle thug outfit than the obvious person floundering next to your "safe zone". If we all reach out a little more we might make a dent in our avalanche problem. Berthoud has been lucky these past few years. By the numbers we should be seeing lots and lots of more reports and serious accidents. Foggy is right, look back through the history of Berthoud Pass and see just how many accidents happened right there, across the street from the parking lot.

Use your brains people, not your beacons!

Quote Originally Posted by lowPro View Post
    its funny to realize that. . . we are all responsible for each other.
    You are responsible for yourself.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Fancy soap box

Call the BP Hate Police. Honestly, I'm not sure what can be done. People have no idea idea what courtesy is. It's not just the pass, you should see the super market. I give you one " ''cuse me" then I ram your cart.

No cart-ramming up there this weekend. Just a lot of variable snow conditions, including windslab, chocolate-chip-cookie rock zones, some genuine, legitimate powder, low wind, sunshine and friendly faces.

Supermarket on the other hand was a cuntfest.

Sooooooo.... it definitely snowed about 2-5" last night.

nice! any new snow during the day?
    F-R-O-double-G

Snowed hard until about 2pm, looked to be starting to lift after that.

Hanging Meadow has nearly no snow on it. New snow didn't bond to old surface. Beware of that line. Sentinel is probably worse but I wasn't gonna check that one. Two feet of fresh snow in Hell's no exaggeration

Dear Community,
    Last Sunday (12/14) I forgot my beloved grey OR Sweater/Fleece in the hut at the base of the parking lot. Has anyone of you guys seen it? It would be so awesome to get it back somehow.
    Regarding conditions, I have to echo simple. A lot of new snow but it didnīt stick to anything. Second Creek had good snow on it and good runs.

Yesterday 12/16, perfect trees to lower 110s were great. There were a couple rocks hidden under the new snow, as well as a firm sun crust layer. Snow was mostly stable with hooting and laughter all around.

I just moved from Jackson Hole to Denver and looking for people to ski with. I am heading back there tomorrow. Anyone want to join?

any beta as to how butler gulch did in this last storm?
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

We were over on Jones on Sunday and there was probably 4"-8". I would agree that it snowed pretty hard until around 2 pm and then lifted.