What happened to "Ride it, don't slide it" ?

I was out enjoying the utterly sublime trail conditions today and became incensed. On Powerline trail (a practically flat, not at all technical, and wide singletrack route in S Lake Tahoe), there were skid marks at EVERY FUCKING TURN! What the hell is wrong with these idiots? They are doing more damage than the motos that sometimes poach that trail! Properly riding Powerline requires almost no use of one's brakes anyway.

My hypothesis is that idiots watch videos of professional riders and see them "roosting" and just generally showing no respect for the trail, and think they are cool to follow suit. The problem, as it's been explained to me by people who use platform pedals, is that these videos are filmed on maintained trails that are repaired after this damage is done. The video-emulator idiots will definitely not be coming over to Powerline to repair their damage tomorrow, however.

If you want to "roost", suit up with me and swing a leg over a dirtbike. I'll take you out to trails way out in the desert that are unrideable for mountain bikes, and you can find out what real roosting is. For close-in, mellow trails, though, keep your wheels rolling.

If you're skidding, you're doing it wrong.

Also, you kids stay off my lawn! [/rant]
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

See below

It's a plague
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Meh, the bike jongs can do whatever they want on power line. What were u doing there with this primo trail conditions anyway?

That's one way to look at it, but what about when they take their skidding to Clear Creek and Monument Pass trails (where I went after a few minutes on Powerline)?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    That's one way to look at it, but what about when they take their skidding to Clear Creek and Monument Pass trails (where I went after a few minutes on Powerline)?
    Hand out free imba class coupons?

Honestly I think you just notice it more with a little moisture in the dirt. Those stripes show up more. I was thinking the same thing riding yesterday. It probably happens all the time, you just don't see the marks on universally dry surfaces. I mean shlt look at what toads looks like most of the year. It doesn't get that loose from tires NOT skidding.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

What about drifting and cutties Dad? Am I allowed to do those or will they get me the belt too?

Joking aside, skids are for sure bad for the trail. So is roosting, and riding in the wet, or when it's too dry.

It all fucks the trail. The trail doesn't want you to ride bikes on it, I swear.

The vast majority of people on bikes are about 1/1000th as good as they think they are. I suggest you habituate yourself with that little fact. Hydraulic disc brakes are to the average biker as shaped skis are to the average skier.