The God of Winter is NOT Ullr...

Hey Guys,

I know how Ullr oriented this zone is, so I thought you'd appreciate this one. It looks like Ullr ain't the God of snow and that a female giant turned goddess, Skadi, is.

This could help towards our winter sacrifices and snowfall this year. (Same article as pasted below with photos here: http://snowbrains.com/god-winter-ullr-skadi/)

Title: Ready the Winter Sacrifice! The God of Winter is Not Ullr; It's Skadi

Winter sacrifice? You’re doing it wrong.

There is a reason that Wikipedia isn’t an accepted source for academia, it is very capable of being wrong.

There are 4 main available works and many interpretive Norse guides based on those works. Those works include The Poetic Edda (10th – 13th century), The Prose Edda recorded by Snorri Sturluson (approx. 1220), The Chronicle of the Kings of Norway by Snorri Sturluson (approx. 1230) and Saxo Grammaticus’s The History of the Danes (approx. 1185).

After spending many hours reading through these, of the few references there are to Ullr, The Prose Edda contains the most. Basically, he is a great hunter, the fastest on snow shoes (or skis). He was recognized as quite an important god, but never given a proper “god of ….” According to the literature, it was important to call on him for a good hunt or combat.

The literature is littered with references to Skadi. A giant by nature and a goddess by marriage, her status is significantly more clear. The tale of her marriage to Njord (god of the sea) is told in all 4 works. Basically, she was pissed when her father was killed so Odin let her choose a husband from the gods by the appearance of only their feet. After 9 days at the sea, she despised the sea and headed back to the snowy mountains. Her and Njord parted ways and she continued to be influential in references to hunting and winter.

“Sleep could I never | on the sea-beds,
    For the wailing of waterfowl;
    He wakens me, | who comes from the deep–
    The sea-mew every morn. "

In The Chronicle of the Kings of Norway the biggest game changer occurs. The story of Odin (referenced as Othin) is told quite in depth. In this story, it is said that “A sacrifice was to be made for a good season at the beginning of winter….” This first sacrifice was to Thor, there were 2 more Freyr and Odin. It then states that after Skadi’s failed marriage with Njorth, she married Odin and they had many sons. In a verse about one of their sons Skadi is directly referred to as “Ski-goddess.”

The Cliffs Notes of all this is that Ullr was cool but not cool enough to be remembered for what exactly it was that he did. Skadi on the other hand was an influential giant who preferred the calls of the wolves to the sounds of the swans and possibly married the guy whom sacrifices for a good winter were actually made to.

It seems questionable what a good winter would actually mean, but after some further reading it seems a snowy winter was somewhat important since they relied on the snow and ice for migration and travel. However, a fruitful summer seemed to be the main reason for sacrifices.

Modern times have brought on some alternative interpretations, of course. Over the span of 100 years, skiers decided that Skadi and Ullr got married and that Ullr was the god of snow and worth making ski sacrifices to. Ski journals, websites, blogs and even a Wikipedia pages mention Ullr’s importance in the ski community and how we should praise him hoping for a good season.

When you actually dig into Norse Mythology there’s little doubt that Skadi was the goddess of snow and that she is the one you should be praising and sacrificing to for a strong winter, not Ullr.

Note: if you would like to properly make a sacrifice to Thor it seems you’ll need some live pigs or horses… You may want to consider alternatives.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Does this mean no more virgin sacrifices?
    watch out for snakes

Ullr was a god who skied. Therefore, he is the god of skiing, not snow or winter. That's good enough for me.

PRAISE ULLR!

We've know this for a while, but Ullr "god of survival, and skiing" seems to have stuck.

Personally I'd like to see more emphasis on this Skandi goddess thing. It could become like Halloween; and perfect opportunity to get cute girls dressed up all slutty and party. think about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

This thread is super fucking important information. I'm so glad I stumbled on it.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

It's Norse mythology. They have like a dozen snow gods.

This has serious implications--if we are to believe it it means that we should be posting pictures of naked men instead of naked women. The mind boggles.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    This thread is super fucking important information. I'm so glad I stumbled on it.

yeah, not nearly as important as your personal bitchfest at the things that annoy madvres thread.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This has serious implications--if we are to believe it it means that we should be posting pictures of naked men instead of naked women. The mind boggles.
    bring on tha dong!!

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    bring on tha dong!!
    Well this will be the last time I check into this thread.

I was told by a euro chick several years ago that Ullr was the god to pray to for protection when you &/or your loved ones are going out into the snow.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

spook Guest
    if this is true, what do i do about the gothic ullr tattoo i got on my fourhead with 3 inch lettering?

did I just hear ullr was on snowshoes ... I forget the rest as that was all I need to know ...

coz I'm sure that means he was a snowboarder n shit eh?
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Blasphemer!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    SEARCH JONG(s) ! i am pretty sure mtngirl already did a thread on this a few years ago.

Edit: I remember the thread but I can't find it. Might have gotten deleted due to herp-encrusted dick pics from Chainsaw Willie.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

BUMP
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Thanks for the bump!

Did not read.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    BUMP
    This is important. If sacrifices to Thor are supposed to inovlve pigs and horses, can we modernize that by eating BBQed pork and riding our bikes?
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Whatever happened to Spook and Advres?